[Q] Anyone using Hangouts for calls and SMS/MMS on their Moto X?

Search This thread

EwanG

Jan 16, 2009
San Antonio, TX
500px.com
Am nearing the end of the 30 day period on my Republic Wireless trial, and while I am very impressed with the Moto X (and plan to keep it), I am less satisfied with RW. Mainly due to their cell handoff feature also killing my data more often than not. Basically they have their app/ROM setup to very aggressively switch to 4G if there is even a hint that the wifi is slow or less than ideal, and that switch over kills the data connection unless you have their much more expensive monthly plan ($45/month vs $10/month).

I am considering cancelling the RW service, rooting the phone, upgrading to 4.4 (I can do that, right?) and then just using Hangouts to make/receive phone calls and SMS/MMS messages. Anyone else who uses Hangouts as their main comm program who could share their thoughts on call quality and whether they have any issues sending/receiving messages?

Thanks in advance!

CMNDR

Sep 10, 2011
Worcester
Am nearing the end of the 30 day period on my Republic Wireless trial, and while I am very impressed with the Moto X (and plan to keep it), I am less satisfied with RW. Mainly due to their cell handoff feature also killing my data more often than not. Basically they have their app/ROM setup to very aggressively switch to 4G if there is even a hint that the wifi is slow or less than ideal, and that switch over kills the data connection unless you have their much more expensive monthly plan ($45/month vs $10/month).

I am considering cancelling the RW service, rooting the phone, upgrading to 4.4 (I can do that, right?) and then just using Hangouts to make/receive phone calls and SMS/MMS messages. Anyone else who uses Hangouts as their main comm program who could share their thoughts on call quality and whether they have any issues sending/receiving messages?

Thanks in advance!

As far as I am aware, the Hangouts SMS/MMS integration is purely on the phone level. You will still need an SMS/MMS plan through a carrier if you want send texts through Hangouts.

Reactions: 1ManWolfePack

Kittiesoncrack

Aug 11, 2012
Chicago
Yes. @CMNDR is correct. you connect use sms in hangouts without a carrier plan and also, hangouts doesnt have calling built in yet

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Yes. @CMNDR is correct. you connect use sms in hangouts without a carrier plan and also, hangouts doesnt have calling built in yet

x2h

Jun 22, 2007
If are using hangout on iPhone, then you can make VoIP calls. Duh.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

EwanG

Jan 16, 2009
San Antonio, TX
500px.com
With the latest updates to Hangout, SMS works on a phone even if you only have WiFi. I have an older Galaxy Exhibit 4G that I held onto for experiments (no service), and it worked just fine sending both directions. So will be looking to root my X and move.

UncleMike

Nov 11, 2010
With the latest updates to Hangout, SMS works on a phone even if you only have WiFi. I have an older Galaxy Exhibit 4G that I held onto for experiments (no service), and it worked just fine sending both directions. So will be looking to root my X and move.

I'm pretty sure that the ability to send SMS while only on Wifi is a feature specific to Republic Wireless, and is a necessity because their service relies on Wifi as a fall back (or possibly primary) network. To confirm this, I just tried send an SMS (using Hangouts 2.0.303) with the phone radio disabled and it failed. And even if it were possible regardless of carrier, without carrier service you won't have a phone number, so how would calls/SMS work at all?

I'm only semi-familiar with how Republic Wireless works, but if you're ditching their service, I think you would be wise to ditch the phone too, and replace it with a traditional model that's not specific to Republic's hybrid network.

EwanG

Jan 16, 2009
San Antonio, TX
500px.com
I'm pretty sure that the ability to send SMS while only on Wifi is a feature specific to Republic Wireless, and is a necessity because their service relies on Wifi as a fall back (or possibly primary) network. To confirm this, I just tried send an SMS (using Hangouts 2.0.303) with the phone radio disabled and it failed. And even if it were possible regardless of carrier, without carrier service you won't have a phone number, so how would calls/SMS work at all?

I'm only semi-familiar with how Republic Wireless works, but if you're ditching their service, I think you would be wise to ditch the phone too, and replace it with a traditional model that's not specific to Republic's hybrid network.

Since I obviously wasn't clear before, let me try again. I installed the latest version of Hangouts on my old TMobile (no longer has service) Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G. I then sent an SMS to another number, received it, and was able to respond. Hangouts also supports Voice (and video) calls over WiFi.

So you get everything RW offers direct from Google, but without the monthly fee.

As for the RW Moto X it is a Sprint phone for all intents and purposes, and is only limited in terms of the hybrid ROM it runs. Have successfully just finished doing the RootMyMoto and installing the SafeStrap app so I can boot into custom ROMs. Now just have to find one that works on the RW Moto X. I believe someone mentioned you could use one of TMobile's 4.4 ROMs, but I will need to track down which one.

FWIW...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Thanks in advance!

As far as I am aware, the Hangouts SMS/MMS integration is purely on the phone level. You will still need an SMS/MMS plan through a carrier if you want send texts through Hangouts.