Question about hooking up to my TV via hdmi and not getting full screen.

Search This thread

RussellEstridge25

Oct 30, 2011
North Branch
Has anyone found a way to hook up their tablet to their TV with full display? I bought an hdmi adapter but it has a black bar on each side not covering the whole TV display. My note 10.1 2013 version didn't have this problem.

Last edited:

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
I have the same issue and haven't found a solution so far. What makes it worse, it defaults to a 1080i 24hz signal which is very noticeably laggy especially when gaming. And the colors are bad. Makes no sense, the note 10.1 should have 0 issue pushing 1080p/60hz when it does usually alot more than that.

what we need is hdmi options. I also want to be able to turn off the screen of my tablet when it's outputting to the TV.

RussellEstridge25

Oct 30, 2011
North Branch
Exactly!!! I even bought an hdmi cable that plugs into power and it's not charging the tablet at all. I also would love if you could shut the tablet off while doing so. Do you think the samsumg all cast wirele hub is the answer? For now anyway? Correct me if im wrong but doesnt it fix all problems were discussing except the "covering the whole screen" part? Well and slight lag... man this sucks... how is this tablet not as supported as the 1st generation one? Lame...

Make sure to watch the sunset at least once a day :cool:

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
I did some testing today and it really grinds my gears... I have a 3rd party adapter 5 in 1 (hdmi, usb, sd card, micro sd, micro usb) standard 5 pin mhl and an adapter for 11 pin mhl.
-my wife's galaxy s2 works perfectly with the 5 pin. Outputs full 1080p / 60hz smooth and responsive.
-My sgs3 doesn't work at all with the adapter (4.3 stock), it starts charging but there is no image on the screen.
-my note 10.1 2014 works but it outputs 1080p / 24hz and it has a really bad delay that makes it impossible to play games, and of course 24 fps is laggy as ****. And of course it has black boarders on the side.

I can't believe that there isn't a settings menu for hdmi. Even my old transformer tf201 had one. And you get the best experience with the 4 year old sgs2(running 4.2). Unbelievable.

RussellEstridge25

Oct 30, 2011
North Branch
I did some testing today and it really grinds my gears... I have a 3rd party adapter 5 in 1 (hdmi, usb, sd card, micro sd, micro usb) standard 5 pin mhl and an adapter for 11 pin mhl.
-my wife's galaxy s2 works perfectly with the 5 pin. Outputs full 1080p / 60hz smooth and responsive.
-My sgs3 doesn't work at all with the adapter (4.3 stock), it starts charging but there is no image on the screen.
-my note 10.1 2014 works but it outputs 1080p / 24hz and it has a really bad delay that makes it impossible to play games, and of course 24 fps is laggy as ****. And of course it has black boarders on the side.

I can't believe that there isn't a settings menu for hdmi. Even my old transformer tf201 had one. And you get the best experience with the 4 year old sgs2(running 4.2). Unbelievable.

Its extremely frustrating... I don't know if it will ever get fixed... That's one of the main uses for my tablet too.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Exactly!!! I even bought an hdmi cable that plugs into power and it's not charging the tablet at all. I also would love if you could shut the tablet off while doing so. Do you think the samsumg all cast wirele hub is the answer? For now anyway? Correct me if im wrong but doesnt it fix all problems were discussing except the "covering the whole screen" part? Well and slight lag... man this sucks... how is this tablet not as supported as the 1st generation one? Lame...

AllShare Cast...

1080P MKV...

720P Google Play movie...

Plain old screen mirroring...

RussellEstridge25

Oct 30, 2011
North Branch
I've never used a physical adapter so can't really draw one. AllShare Cast works really well on the N10.1-14, a lot faster than my old N10.1-12. Video apps that were barely usable on the '12 are no problem on the '14. I'm not a big gamer so perhaps someone who is and uses AllShare Cast can comment.

Thanks for the info. Does it cover your whole TV screen? I can't really tell in the pics. I don't game on my tablet trying to look at a TV lol I personally think that's kinda dumb. I have a ps3 and games on my tablet that I just play on my tablet.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Thanks for the info. Does it cover your whole TV screen? I can't really tell in the pics. I don't game on my tablet trying to look at a TV lol I personally think that's kinda dumb. I have a ps3 and games on my tablet that I just play on my tablet.

The TV's got a black frame so it's hard to see. I'd say the picture being mirrored is 100% with some small bars on the sides that are necessary to adjust 16:10 to 16:9. I've noticed nothing distorted in any of the apps/content I've viewed.

RussellEstridge25

Oct 30, 2011
North Branch
PS3

Here's another question, I just hooked my tablet up to my ps3 via bluetooth and it will allow me to share video, pic's, and music. But I have some videos downloaded and put them in that folder where the ps3 is looking for them. I rebooted and the ps3 still does not see the video. its an mp4 so Im not sure if I need to convert it to a different format or what. Anyone have any insight on that? Im still new to the ps3 as I just got it a few months back.

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
I'm not prepared to pay for another 70-80$ device (that's what allshare costs where i live) to get a good image... This tablet is a highly advanced device and i expect hdmi out to work. As I said it works very well on the 4 year old sgs2 why would it work worse on a 2014 device?

RussellEstridge25

Oct 30, 2011
North Branch
I'm not prepared to pay for another 70-80$ device (that's what allshare costs where i live) to get a good image... This tablet is a highly advanced device and i expect hdmi out to work. As I said it works very well on the 4 year old sgs2 why would it work worse on a 2014 device?

I agree that's a lot more money for something other cheaper devices already do. You go on a still keep your tablet?

RussellEstridge25

Oct 30, 2011
North Branch
Here's another question, I just hooked my tablet up to my ps3 via bluetooth and it will allow me to share video, pic's, and music. But I have some videos downloaded and put them in that folder where the ps3 is looking for them. I rebooted and the ps3 still does not see the video. its an mp4 so Im not sure if I need to convert it to a different format or what. Anyone have any insight on that? Im still new to the ps3 as I just got it a few months back.

EDIT: Never mind. I got it all to work. So I guess thats my work around for now. Im just going to use my ps3 to view the videos I want. Not the ideal solution but it beats spending more money! Hopefully something gets figured out in the mean time. I shouldn't have to rely on a ps3 for this type of thing on such an awesome device.