[Q] Recommended website to unlock Lumia 900 (AT&T) UPDATED

Search This thread

sitizenx

Dec 18, 2007
Oral contracts are vaild

Please explain to everyone WHAT CONTRACT did anyone on this thread get that is legal and binding that said they would get their phone unlocked after purchase?

At the point of sale he was given assurance by the salesman that the phone would be unlocked after a call to customer service.

How many contracts have you read that say that what the contract states is what is legal and binding any any other things inferred or implied are null and void?

Is that what was written or said somewhere or are you just throwing that out there? I have NEVER seen anything in my at&t paperwork that says this phone will not be unlocked for 10 months even if the sales person says so. That sounds like something you made up.

Verbal contracts aren't worth the paper they arent written on.

Ha! I love the cliches. I find when people don't have a rigorous command of the subject matter they throw out cliches like "buyer beware." Now here is a little history/law lesson. Our modern contract law is based on common law that goes back centuries. It did not come into existence with Windows 7, Microsoft word 2010 and HP laser printers. For centuries there have been farmers, black smiths, bakers who were functionally illiterate and couldn't even spell their names who entered into verbal contracts. They have had their cases heard and settled in civil courts.

lawfirms.com said:
Nevertheless, is it reasonable to assume that no oral contracts would ever be binding from a legal perspective? No, it wouldn’t—in fact, all oral contracts are legally binding.

Link.

Verbal contracts are more difficult to prove but they absolutely carry as much weight as written contracts. Furthermore we are talking about a credit card dispute. You obviously have never filed a successful credit card dispute. The burden of proof in a civil trial is not 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt. That's for criminal. You just need a preponderance of the evidence to support your case. Secondly the first step isn't even a legal proceeding. It is a credit card dispute. It has an even lower (in my experience) burden of proof than a civil case. If you have never filed a successful credit card dispute why don't you listen to those of us who have?

You will NEVER get an AT&T person in to court admitting he said you could so you are dead in the water.

You really think they fly lawyers AND store sales people and managers to different locations for small claims court cases?! They fly a single lawyer out RARELY. Most of the time they know it's just not cost effective to fly a lawyer out to fight over $500 or a FREE unlock code. Plus small claims court is way down the line. A letter to the CEO should clear this up. If not a credit card dispute probably will. After that small claims court is the last resort.

lawfirms.com said:
Also, taking action that would suggest the existence of an oral contract could be considered course of conduct evidence. For instance, if you pay a paperboy to deliver a newspaper for a week, but later change your mind and refuse to pay, you would be unable to claim that a verbal agreement for newspaper delivery never existed.
Credibility of the Parties

The credibility of the party can also be established or questioned in court. This isn’t the same thing as witness credibility or character credibility. It’s more a matter of proving that an individual action or statement was credible or incredible. If a person walks inside a restaurant and orders food then it’s understood that a binding oral contract is made. Claiming that one thought the food was free (if not explicitly stated) and refusing to pay for the service would be an incredible incident, and unlikely to hold up in court.

In court no one has to admit anything. You show up with a receipt for $500, a Canadian driver's license, and a Canadian SIM then it's up to at&t to explain what conversation went on. It is HIGHLY implausible that someone would go in and buy a $500 phone after being told repeatedly that it would not work in Canada. It is also highly implausible that someone would come in and say I want to spend $500 on a phone you are giving away for free and a sales person wouldn't ask why. It is also highly implausible if our Canadian friend lied for some reason and said he was going to use it on at&t the sales person wouldn't open the box and activate it on their account or at least check for upgrade possibilities.

If at&t rejects the story of our friends' from Canada they will have to come up with their own. In small claims court judges ask questions. They don't just sit there passively.

Again, as I said. When I am doing something with a company that differs from the norm I get the facts from the people who actually make the effort rather than salespeople.

Well the sale has been made already. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Let's concentrate on actually solving the current problem instead of scolding these poor guys.

Here is a For instance that has to do with AT&T......

Several years ago I was no...

Yeah these people live in a different country. They may not have the time or resources to drive/fly down and talk to every store/district manager. If they've already lobbed in a few phone calls it's time to start the letter part of the saga. The problem with credit card disputes is there is a relatively short window to do them. And you need to send a certified letter to the head honchos at at&t and give them a reasonable amount of time to respond.

Here is really the fundamental problem. You have never done a credit card dispute. There are certain specific things you must do in a timely manner that will dramatically increase your chances of success. Wasting time making a bunch of phone calls after your initial calls have failed runs down the clock. Every remedy you have suggested depends on the customer waiting around for at&t in its beneficence to bestow upon you what it sees fit. How about this? Ask at&t politely a couple of times and then take the decision out of their hands.

Good luck geting your phones unlock I am sure it will happen sooner or later. There is just no point in railing on here against AT&T it won't get you what you want and threatening lawsuits is futile.

My phone is fine locked. I am using at&t. Giving people advice about how to solve their problems without anymore verbal confrontations isn't "railing on here against at&t." I actually find sending a certified letter to the CEO of a company a very calming experience. Once I start the process I know within roughly 60 days it will be resolved. I don't need to depend on the opinion of strangers on the internet. If the company doesn't acquiesce my credit card will give me all my money back. No confrontations. No waiting around for at&t's largess. Simple clean straight forward.

To the Canadians that are still reading this post please get started on your dispute ASAP. There is a time limit. If you wait too long then you will be dependent either on at&t's charity or the court system. And please don't forget this thread. Report back with what you did and the result good or bad. I am always eager to learn if there are any flaws in my strategy.

Do not let internet trolls discourage you. It is your time limit. Once the time limit is up internet trolls aren't going to renew it for you. Use your remaining time wisely.

Last edited:

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
sitizenx,

You just DON'T GET IT. Your reading ability is like that of someone with ADD. You pick apart sentances and take things out of context and then post arguments against that piece instead of the entire thought.

I never questioned the legality of a verbal contract. Their usefullness and proveability are what I questioned. Thus the conclussion that they are worthless.

Just as you say AT&T won't spend money to file a lawsuit the vast majority of those who cry "lawsuit" don't do anything either and AT&T knows that as well. Joe citizen has less money than AT&T does to file suit and proving what was said in the store 6 months to 2 years later depending on court loads will be impossible and by then you will have your unlock code. Good luck finding someone to take that case on contingency.

You claim to have an unlocked phone, I don't see where you explained how you achieved that?! You give advice about mailing letters to CEO's but I don't see you saying that is how YOU achieved an unlock?!

In the end most of the folks wanting an unlock code will end up with one from a 3rd party source or from AT&T in a few months.

Otherwise do what I said, go to the store and press on until they offer a refund because the store people CAN NOT get you an unlock code. You may end up swallowing the restock fee but that depends on how much fighting you want to do. Personally I wouldnt pay it if I were promised an unlock at the time of sale.

Lol nice edit there bud....

Last edited:

sitizenx

Dec 18, 2007
I never questioned the legality of a verbal contract. Their usefullness and proveability are what I questioned. Thus the conclussion that they are worthless.

Everything from legality to provability was discussed in my post with a link to a source. Your assumption I guess is the concepts of "course of conduct" and "credibility of parties" does not exist. Other sources and common sense dispute that. Or maybe you are just ignoring that part of my detailed post for some reason.

Link.

Again someone shows up in court with a Canadian passport/driver's license, a Canadian sim card, and a receipt for a $500 purchase. It is highly improbably that this state of affairs came about without some discussion of unlocking the phone. It is also highly improbable this state of affair came about after the customer was told prior to the purchase emphatically by the sales staff that the $500 device in question would be useless for his purposes.

This is a civil matter. It does NOT require 100% certitude. All that is required is a preponderance of the evidence in your favor. If at&t says our Canadian friends are lying then they will have to come up with their own more plausible story.

Just as you say AT&T won't spend money to file a lawsuit the vast majority of those who cry "lawsuit" don't do anything either and AT&T knows that as well.

Didn't I say not to even mention "lawsuit" in the first letter!? Or was that a different thread I'm thinking of?

Frankly I wouldn't even mention the whole lawsuit angle in your initial letter.

Just as you say AT&T won't spend money to file a lawsuit the vast majority of those who cry "lawsuit" don't do anything either and AT&T knows that as well.

What on earth are you talking about?! Who said anything about at&t filing a lawsuit?!

Your reading ability is like that of someone with ADD.

Err... okay, professor.

Joe citizen has less money than AT&T does to file suit and proving what was said in the store 6 months to 2 years later depending on court loads will be impossible and by then you will have your unlock code.

What part of CREDIT CARD DISPUTE is not clear? Court is the last resort as I clearly stated...

Plus small claims court is way down the line. A letter to the CEO should clear this up. If not a credit card dispute probably will. After that small claims court is the last resort.

Good luck finding someone to take that case on contingency.

What part of SMALL CLAIMS COURT do you not understand? Who hires a $5,000 lawyer to fight over either a $500 phone or a FREE unlock code in small claims court?! Look if you don't know how credit card disputes or small claim court works that is fine. Most people don't but please don't contradict people who have been successful with both. I see you are in Texas. Let me do you a favor. This is from Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott...

Greg Abbott said:
Small claims court can sometimes be an alternative to litigation. Small claims court does not require you to hire an attorney. You are required to pay a filing fee, which ranges approximately from $70 to $100, and you can sue for an amount up to $10,000 (up from $5000 prior to 2007).

Otherwise do what I said, go to the store and pre…

For the umpteenth time these people live in another country. They may not have the time money or inclination to fly/drive for hours to engage in a possibly fruitless endeavor. If they live in Windsor and can cross one bridge and be in Detroit that's one thing. If they are in Edmonton a $5 letter with delivery confirmation may be cheaper.

Joe citizen has less money than AT&T does to file suit...

It costs a whopping $70-$100 to file a small claims case in your home state. If you can scrape up $500 bucks to buy what is now a paperweight I'm pretty sure you can pay $70 to file a small claims case. If not then your priorities are way off.

You claim to have an unlocked phone, I don't see where you explained how you achieved that?!

My phone is NOT unlocked. I am on at&t. I have no need for an unlocked phone at this time. My purpose here is to help other people either get their phone unlocked or get their money refunded. I cannot guarantee an unlocked phone. If at any time before the credit card charge back at&t offers a 100% refund people have to take it. They cannot refuse and demand an unlock code. The credit card will not accept that. Furthermore, I am totally just guessing but I think the court system will not demand an unlock code either. If they offer a 100% refund I would think a judge would say you have to accept that.

Last edited:
Reactions: blushrts

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas
x, were done here.

Small claims court vs going to the store?! WHERE are they going to file? In Canada? Fat lot of good that will do. So NOW they need to come to the US to go to small claims court? Your logic is flawed.

A letter to the CEO is fine but won't yield real, timely results over paying an unlocker. It will most likely get responded to by the public relations people.

I do agree with the credit card refusing charges approach but that will be a big burden of proof as well.

I have gotten as much as $50 refunded with a phone call to the CC no questions asked. I suspect $500 will be much harder because they will have the buyers signature on file that is just below their terms of purchase/service.

sitizenx

Dec 18, 2007
Small claims court vs going to the store?!

I notice you keep ignoring the fact that multiple remedies were offered that do NOT involve going to small claims court. You also keep ignoring the fact I have stated multiple times small claims court is a last resort. I don't know why you are fixated on the last and least likely resort. There is a concept of escalation that you just don't want to accept.

You also seem to ignore the fact that these people live in another country and there may be significant geographical hindrances to strolling to an at&t store.

A letter to the CEO is fine but won't yield real, timely results over paying an unlocker. It will most likely get responded to by the public relations people.

Last time I did this it resulted in a $1000 check. Of course it gets responded to by public relations but it isn't some BS nobody in the customer service department who won't even give you their last name. A well written polite objective letter sent certified mail to the CEO of a large US corporation in my experience yields different results than a "To Whom It May Concern:" noncertified letter to a general customer service address. I am just reporting my experience and results. Oh and with my 14 calender day stipulation this did happen in a timely fashion. Look if you have never done this just let those of us who have done it successfully tell our experience. I don't know why you wish for this knowledge to be suppressed. It's just another option. You should do what you are comfortable with and let the rest of us discuss other viable options. Ultimately it is up to each of use to choose how we wish to proceed.

Oh and by the way the other big reason for the certified letter to the CEO is because in the very unlikely scenario you do file a small claims case... you have the option of filing it against him/her. You have a paper trail indicating you contacted them.

WHERE are they going to file? In Canada? Fat lot of good that will do. So NOW they need to come to the US to go to small claims court? Your logic is flawed.

First you can't file in Canada. Second you do NOT have to travel to file in most instances. Check the state attorney general's website for the state where you made the purchase. You will have to travel for the hearing. But should you win your expenses (ie car mileage, airplane ticket, hotel, etc) will be paid by at&t. If you fly to the store directly and haggle with the manager there is no way they are going to pay for your airplane ticket even if they give you a refund or unlock code. Not going to happen.

I am trying to help people that may have a geographic impediment to going to an at&t store. I do not know why you refuse to accept that.

I do agree with the credit card refusing charges approach but that will be a big burden of proof as well.

I have filed a credit card dispute on multiple occasions. If you have made a reasonable effort to resolve your dispute with a retailer and provide the credit card with your letters, receipt, and in this instance proof of residence I have had a 100% success rate with disputes. On top of that if it works you keep the phone AND the $500. The key is you must make a bona fide effort to get the matter resolved with at&t including accepting a 100% refund if offered. I never lie. I just tell the truth and I am above all else reasonable.

I have gotten as much as $50 refunded with a phone call to the CC no questions asked. I suspect $500 will be much harder because they will have the buyers signature on file that is just below their terms of purchase/service.

I have gotten $3,000. I don't "suspect" anything. I KNOW. $500 is chump change. $50 isn't even worth mentioning. And that $3K didn't include the $2,000 insurance claim I was also paid by a third party connected to that fiasco. If the credit card dispute works that's $500 back on the credit card and a FREE (locked) Lumia 900. Not sure how much "hard" work people are will to do for $500. How much are internet trolls making an hour these days?!

What irritates me about this whole exchange is I am discussing things I have actually done that have resulted in acceptable results 100% of the time. Someone else who hasn't even attempted any of my more advanced suggestions keeps digging in their heels and saying no, no, no. I've actually won multiple credit card disputes totaling thousands of dollars. You would think I would know roughly what level of proof is required to win most of the time.

Sheesh. I guess I should just erase my memory and rely on the conjecture of some complete stranger on the internet who has never done what I did successfully multiple times.

Last edited:

zilab

Apr 21, 2012
guys it would be cool, if we just stop the bickering, let's go back to our positive vibe here :cool:

Here's hoping we can get a solution soon :)

sitizenx

Dec 18, 2007
guys it would be cool, if we just stop the bickering, let's go back to our positive vibe here :cool:

Here's hoping we can get a solution soon :)

Sorry for the "bickering."

I just want people to be informed consumers and know that there are options despite what corporations tell you. If someone should find themselves in the unfortunate situation I was discussing there are multiple options. One should do the cheap, easy options first and then escalate. The steps that I think one should follow are...

1) Call customer service and ask for an unlock code
2) Assuming geography isn't a barrier go the the store you bought the phone from and ask them to call Customer service or give you a 100% refund with no restocking fee
3) Write a polite objective succint letter to the CEO explaining the problem and stating explicitly what remedies you are willing to accept (ie unlocked phone or 100% refund with no fees). Stipulate that you must hear back from them in 14 Calendar days so they don't pull any 6-8 week nonsense.
4) Credit card dispute. Check to see what your credit card policy is regarding disputes. Next call them and tell them you want to file a dispute. They will most likely tell you you must do it in writing. You are going to have to mail your supporting documents anyway. Then mail them a copy of your receipt, your polite letter to the CEO, the CEOs brush off letter he mailed you, proof of Canadian residence (they should know this anyway. they are your credit card after all), and finally a brief, professional letter stating why you are disputing the charge. Make sure all letters at least have delivery confirmation. You must file the credit card dispute in a timely manner.
5) Small claims court. No lawyer needed. Relatively small fee to file. Only have to show up for the court date. Bring all your supporting documents and be organized. You will only have a few minutes to explain to a judge who has never heard of an unlocked cell phone what you want. Keep receipts for EVERYTHING during this saga. If you win in small claims court you can ask for at&t to reimburse all of it. Have the receipts organized and the final sum totaled up on the day of the hearing. Include all your travel expense for the case. Include the costs of certified letters, hotel, etc.

Just work your way from 1 to 6 until you either get a 100% refund or an unlocked phone. There is no reason to get emotional or upset about it. Just walk through the steps methodically and watch your dates. After steps 1-3 the thing is out of you and at&t's hands. It is either up to the credit card or a judge to decide.

If you meet with success or failure please report back. I am always curious to know how these steps work for other people. I am NOT a lawyer. There is a lot I do not know. I am always eager to learn more from people with real life experience.

Last edited:

zilab

Apr 21, 2012
First off, I just want to say I was speaking generally, so no offense and sorry in advanced.

---
Personally, I'd rather wait for the end of the exclusivity date and decide from there. I'm also optimistic that we'll get our unlock codes sooner than later.

I also do appreciate for the wealth of knowledge this thread has given, so Kudos to that :)

So here's hoping we get more tangible results soon :cool:

pistol44

Sep 1, 2008
Toronto
First off, I just want to say I was speaking generally, so no offense and sorry in advanced.

---
Personally, I'd rather wait for the end of the exclusivity date and decide from there. I'm also optimistic that we'll get our unlock codes sooner than later.

I also do appreciate for the wealth of knowledge this thread has given, so Kudos to that :)

So here's hoping we get more tangible results soon :cool:

Well said. I think this thread should remain on topic and be for those of us willing to patiently await codes from a legit unlocker. While the efforts of others are appreciated for those seeking alternate routes.. well maybe there should be a separate thread for that. I'll be heading off to Mexico for a week as of Weds and I'm comfortable feeling that there may be a breakthrough by the time I return.

Korupted1

Apr 21, 2012
In regards to the ATT branded Lumia 900, nobody has the unlock codes for these yet, and no online unlocking service can do them yet.

In regards to the Rogers branded Lumia 900, they can be carrier unlocked and most online services can do it.

flori4955

Apr 23, 2012
In regards to the Rogers branded Lumia 900, they can be carrier unlocked and most online services can do it.

My experience so far:
  • unlock code from CellphoneUnlocker dot com successfully unlocked my Rogers Lumia 900.
  • went to Bell who replaced my old SIM card with a new LTE SIM for free.
  • went into Settings, Cellular, and added APN "pda.bell.ca" (no proxy settings)

I live in the central Montreal area with Bell HSPA+ and LTE coverage. The Lumia keeps switching between 3G and 4G speeds, but never shows LTE.

Does anybody have recommendations on how to achieve full LTE speeds?

cabose369

May 2, 2012
Toronto
My experience so far:
  • unlock code from CellphoneUnlocker dot com successfully unlocked my Rogers Lumia 900.
  • went to Bell who replaced my old SIM card with a new LTE SIM for free.
  • went into Settings, Cellular, and added APN "pda.bell.ca" (no proxy settings)

I live in the central Montreal area with Bell HSPA+ and LTE coverage. The Lumia keeps switching between 3G and 4G speeds, but never shows LTE.

The Rogers version isn't actually an LTE phone, only the AT&T version is. We do not have actual LTE in Canada. We have "LTE" (LTE = 4G). Welcome to Canada, where we have sh!tty cell companies.

Last edited:

Dorandon

Apr 17, 2012
News from China

I lived in China and I am also waiting for the Unlock code for AT&T Lumia 900.

I seached the taobao.com(the Chinese Ebay) today, and One Dealer said they might get the unlock code by this Friday for sure.

I wonder whether you guys get information like this.

Well, I will follow up & update as soon as possible.

I wish all of us could get the code this week. Good Luck.

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

I lived in China and I am also waiting for the Unlock code for AT&T Lumia 900.

I seached the taobao.com(the Chinese Ebay) today, and One Dealer said they might get the unlock code by this Friday for sure.

I wonder whether you guys get information like this.

Well, I will follow up & update as soon as possible.

I wish all of us could get the code this week. Good Luck.

I've got some thing new now. I contacted with another dealer(a technology worker) and he also gave me some good NEWS.

He said he have had order the code and it would be released in 10 days.

I hope it could be true.

flori4955

Apr 23, 2012
Originally Posted by flori4955

My experience so far:

unlock code from CellphoneUnlocker dot com successfully unlocked my Rogers Lumia 900.
went to Bell who replaced my old SIM card with a new LTE SIM for free.
went into Settings, Cellular, and added APN "pda.bell.ca" (no proxy settings)

Originally Posted by cabose369
The Rogers version isn't actually an LTE phone, only the AT&T version is. We do not have actual LTE in Canada. We have "LTE" (LTE = 4G).

We do not have LTE-Advanced. We do have LTE. Only LTE-Advanced satisfies 4G requirements defined by the ITU-R standardization body. So strictly speaking, today nobody in the world has 4G.

The Rogers Lumia 900 does support LTE.

Last edited:

h0ng

May 16, 2011
Waiting for my code right now (lumia 900 at&t), will let you guys know as soon as I got it!

prateek.nair

May 7, 2012
Lumia 900 unlock site

Has anyone tried this site...

http: // unlockcellphonecode . com / code-for-unlocking-nokia-mobile-cell-phone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is what i did.

when i called them i told that i have received this phone as gift from MS (this was true) and i have a signed contract with MS and i am suppose to develop software for Nokia Lumia ( now this was complete bull**** ) therefor i need to unlock the phone so i can test the software on different networks (another bull****). The lady on the phone said that they can not provide the unlock code then i told that they will have to send me mail so i can tell MS guys that ATT has refused to unlock the phone(another bull****). She put me on hold for like 20 mins or so and after that asked for my MS partner ( developer account) account details which i provided. again she put me on hold for some time and then i was told they have raised a spacial case request to unlock the phone and i should receive the code in 5-7 days. I got the code after 7 days which did not work and replied to the same mail saying it did not work they asked me to wait for 5-6 more days and i got the code yesterday.

Below is the mail i received

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: 5/21/2012 19:56
    To: chanakya sankritayayana
    Subject: RE: Device Unlock Request

I was just getting ready to email you - I just received the information 10 minutes ago.

Please read the below carefully before attempting to unlock the device. Please let me know if this works or if you have any issues. I am sorry this took so long.

BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO USE THE UNLOCK CODE BELOW PLEASE VERIFY THE FIRST 15 DIGITS OF YOUR IMEI BY TYPING *#06# ON YOUR PHONE’S KEYPAD. THE UNLOCK CODE IS SPECIFIC TO THE IMEI. IF YOUR IMEI DOES NOT MATCH THE IMEI BELOW PLEASE CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE, DO NOT USE THIS CODE AS IT COULD PERMANENTLY LOCK YOUR HANDSET.

EMAIL: *******@west.com<mailto:********@west.com>
    CASE: No Case
    MOBILE: Partner
    MANUFACTURER: Nokia
    MODEL: 900 Lumia
    IMEI: 3************4
    UNLOCK CODE: 9******8
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE OCT 9, 2012
    It seems AT&T is now unlocking these devices for anyone who's stuck it out and held onto their L900's. Please see here for more details:
    http://www.wpcentral.com/att-lumia-900-uses-now-able-unlock-their-phones-kind

NOTE:
    Rogers carries the Lumia 900 in cyan and black (as of 7/4/12). These phones can also be unlocked no problem.
    Good luck everyone!

1) Unlock All Cellular - $64.99 (24-72 hrs)
    http://www.unlockallcellular.com/nokia-lumia-900-unlock-code-p-197915.html

2) World GSM Codes - $59.99 (2-3days)
    http://www.worldgsmcodes.com/nokia/Nokia-Lumia-900-network-unlock-code/

3) Cellphone Unlocker - $24.99 (up to 72 hrs)
    http://www.cellphoneunlocker.com/unlock/at-t-usa/nokia/lumia-900

4) Mobile Xpress Canada - $30CAD (3-5 days)
    http://www.mobilexpresscanada.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=275

5) Cut Your Sim - $79.99 (2-7 days)
    http://cutyoursim.com/index.php/at-t-nokia-unlock-service.html

6) Cell Unlocker - $28.99
    http://www.cellunlocker.net/nokia-unlock.php

7) Unlock That Phone - $39.99 (2-5 days)
    http://unlockthatphone.com/

8) GSMFast.net - $50 (7-12 days)
    http://www.gsmfast.net/order.php
    FYI people, AT&T HAS the codes but either lower level reps don't have required access level to see them or they are not allowed to do so because they are always reviewed by their superiors. But AT&T does have the codes.

It is impossible that Nokia manufactured these phones without providing unlock codes for them as these unlock codes are paired with the phone as it is finished being manufactured. AT&T has the codes, but you will only get it if you try hard enough. But making up different stories every time you call will definitely put you into a black list.

There is no such thing as free cheese. As for me, I am planning to call AT&T as soon as I exchange my Lumia for another.
    Dang, I blocked sitizenx's posts but now I have to read them in other peoples quotes :(

The guy is a legend in his own mind and he isnt worth the trouble.

I think he is one of those people who believes that he will get the last word in, repeat it often enough that everyone else will capitulate to his superior intelect.

I have chosen not to play his game anymore and I suggest those of you up in arms over his posts do the same.
    And to just add to the thoughts expressed here, in the US there is another notion the judicial system subscribes to. "Buyer Beware"

What?! What law school did you go to? If you have a contract it doesn't matter whether you are a buyer or seller. The contract must be honored. Get a refund on that mail order law degree.

If someone told you that you can and will get it unlocked right away for your purposes then you need to deal with THAT person and HIS manager.

What?! Where do people get this stuff? If a sales representative of at&t makes a contract with you at&t is responsible. When I've had issues who do you think gets my certified letter some BS manager? No man, that thing gets mailed directly to the CEO and it is the corporate office that mails me my check.

I don't have these kinds of problems because I de...

I have these problems from time to time and you know what? I turn them into big business' problems. I have a 100% success rate on refunds. Actually it's higher than that to be honest because they often give me back a lot more than I asked for originally.

Maybe you should share some names and numbers, contribute to this thread and drop the holier than thou attitude.

You will never make any headway dealing with trolls. Do you really want to know how to solve your problem and get a FREE phone? I'll tell you because unlike trolls I actually have knowledge and want to help.

Here is the procedure. I hope you bought this phone with a credit card like Mastercard or Visa. If you did it's simple. File a dispute with your credit card. Check your credit card's website it should have the information on there.

Before you file the dispute you need to make a paper trail. First look up who the CEO is and what the corporate address is. This should be in the 10-K filed with the SEC. It can be found in the SEC EDGAR database. Next write a very succinct objective letter stating the FACTS and what you would like (ie total refund or unlock code). Include a copy of your receipt and some supporting evidence that you live in Canada. Maybe a stamped passport page. I don't know if they do that for you guys or not. Maybe a copy of an id card with a Canada address if you feel comfortable sending that. Keep a copy of everything you send with the letter and the letter itself. Send the letter with some kind of delivery confirmation or via certified mail. In your letter ask for a response within 15 CALENDAR days so they don't BS you and tell you it was Arbor Day so they couldn't get back to you.

Now that letter may very well get you what you want. If it does not send a copy of it and all the documents you sent at&t to your credit card along with a polite OBJECTIVE dispute letter. Tell them you paid nearly $500 dollars for a phone they were giving away for free because you were told by paying that amount of money you could get it unlocked with no contract. Where ever possible include names dates and addresses. Send this letter to your credit card with some kind of delivery confirmation. You must first make a good faith effort to try and resolve the issue with the company. Unlike what some trolls were suggesting do NOT call. You've tried that already. Besides at the end of the phone call you have NO proof the phone call actually happened. Anyone that tells you to call at this stage is an idiot. You need to send certified letters or at a minimum letters with delivery confirmation so you can establish a paper trail. Email is acceptable as well. By which I mean you may include your email address in the certified letter to the CEO. Do NOT send an email to so BS person in customer service at this stage. You want to escalate this to the top.

Assuming you follow all my instructions to the letter and you write a professional polite OBJECTIVE letter you should get what you want. If they do not give you a 100% refund or unlock code your credit card will issue you a 100% refund. You won't even have to send the phone back to at&t. This has happened with me with other products and services. You will get a free Lumia 900. Then you just have to wait around for someone to come up with a reliable way to unlock it.

I am not making any of this up. The problem with America is the public is totally passive... unless it comes to bombing innocent unarmed women and children half way around the world. Then it's all flag pins and rah, rah. When a corporation decides to screw them it's "corporations are people" and they deserve our sympathy.

"Buyer beware." Yeah, F that. How about corporation beware. Don't get mad, get even. Seriously research your Canadian credit card contract and make sure it works the same as mine does in the US. If it does you will get everything you want without even having to go to court. If all else fails THEN go to small claims court. Frankly I wouldn't even mention the whole lawsuit angle in your initial letter. Let them turn you down and then dispute the charge. You will get a free phone.

Now you may say this seems like a bit of hassle. Really? You get a $500 phone for free at the end of it best case scenario. How long does it take you to earn $500? How many hours worth of work would you do for $500? You think internet trolls make $500 in a day? Doubt it. Ignore them.