[Q] How to root a refurbished TF300T without using the official Unlock Device Tool

Search This thread

2easy4sam

Mar 28, 2014
Bristol
My question is in the title. So I have recently bought a manufacturer refurbished TF300T off eBay, everything is working like a charm except for that it cannot be unlocked using the official Unlock Device Tool (throws an error saying "Unknown error. This might be a network connection issue..."). I contacted ASUS customer support and their answer is that a refurbished product simply cannot be unlocked without any further explanation, which doesn't really make sense to me. Anyway, I've been searching on the Internet for other means to unlock my device but no luck at all. I would appreciate if anyone can help me solve this problem or at least give me an explanation as to why unlocking can't be done on a refurbished tablet. Many thanks in advance!

P.S. I am trying to install Ubuntu on my device that's why it needs to be unlocked.

Last edited:

Reilly1812

Nov 23, 2011
West Long Branch, NJ
Suggest you read more before you brick it. Unlocking the bootloader and rooting are two separate things. Kingo roots it easily. You'll be staying locked if unlock tool does not work for you.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

2easy4sam

Mar 28, 2014
Bristol
Suggest you read more before you brick it. Unlocking the bootloader and rooting are two separate things. Kingo roots it easily. You'll be staying locked if unlock tool does not work for you.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

thank you for your reply. I thought rooting and unlocking were the same thing.

akj_1989

Nov 15, 2011
Bangalore/Delhi
Hi 2easy4sam,
Were you able to unlock your transformer?
I also have a refurb tf300t, and the official unlock tool doesn't work on it.. Can't use the tablet with stock ROM anymore!

kallos

Dec 13, 2013
Hi 2easy4sam,
I also have a refurb tf300t, and the official unlock tool doesn't work on it.. Can't use the tablet with stock ROM anymore!

Go to Asus Suport with screenshots of the error, a speedtest, build number and mac adress. Tell them to update their database with correct informations. Then you'll be able to unlock your tablet with this tool.

If they tell you can't try it one more time and don't let them before your tablet is unlocked. Don't listen to the guys who said it isn't supported anymore.

I've been talking with a woman from asus support, she was cool and did what she had to do. The first time it didn't work, they probably didn't upgraded as they had to... I insisted and she retried it. Now my TF300T is unlocked and everything works well.

If you are cool with them and you insist, it will be ok.

PS: Sorry for my bad english

Reactions: akj_1989

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi 2easy4sam,

Go to Asus Suport with screenshots of the error, a speedtest, build number and mac adress. Tell them to update their database with correct informations. Then you'll be able to unlock your tablet with this tool.

If they tell you can't try it one more time and don't let them before your tablet is unlocked. Don't listen to the guys who said it isn't supported anymore.

I've been talking with a woman from asus support, she was cool and did what she had to do. The first time it didn't work, they probably didn't upgraded as they had to... I insisted and she retried it. Now my TF300T is unlocked and everything works well.

If you are cool with them and you insist, it will be ok.

PS: Sorry for my bad english