[HOW-TO]Flappy Mods | Make your own Flappy Bird!

Search This thread

bepken

Oct 5, 2012
Debrecen
I'm sorry but that didn't work for me. Since you say you've done it many times, did it work for you this time too?

I did exactly as you described, just added the .png files for the atlas and icons and then zipped it back and switched to .apk

When I sign the file with zipsigner app with platform mode, it says there was a problem parsing the package.

I really want to use my custom Flappy Bird Mod but this is driving me crazy hahaha

Okay, finally I got what I was doing wrong. I was zipping the whole folder, not the content. I managed to get the apk, sign it and install it... but it FC when i hit the "Play" button. I'm close to succeed! Any ideas on how to fix that? This time i just replaced the atlas.png file and nothing else.

why don't you simply follow the instructions in the OP? :confused:

BuckyRocks

Jul 5, 2013
London, UK
why don't you simply follow the instructions in the OP? :confused:

Because it was giving me sooooooo many troubles to do it that way because of a mistake i was making. Plus I had to improvise a little bit because I'm on a Mac and that guide is just for PC.

But in the end it worked, and I'm happy with the result! - http://goo.gl/WpmFuL

Too bad you can't have original and modified both installed on your phone.

Just one last thing... I don't want to remove the ads, but I'd like to know if it's possible to just show them when connected to a WiFi network. I don't want the app to use my data anytime I'm playing. And no, putting "Airplane Mode" on is not an option, as this will block any other apps that I do want to use my data.

Thanks!

Reactions: liho19

bepken

Oct 5, 2012
Debrecen
Because it was giving me sooooooo many troubles to do it that way because of a mistake i was making. Plus I had to improvise a little bit because I'm on a Mac and that guide is just for PC.

But in the end it worked, and I'm happy with the result! - http://goo.gl/WpmFuL

Too bad you can't have original and modified both installed on your phone.

Just one last thing... I don't want to remove the ads, but I'd like to know if it's possible to just show them when connected to a WiFi network. I don't want the app to use my data anytime I'm playing. And no, putting "Airplane Mode" on is not an option, as this will block any other apps that I do want to use my data.

Thanks!

as i said before, install some ad-blocker app or use some patch. for example: Ad-away (you can find a lot of information about that on XDA) - i think it is the simplest way to remove ads from your device :)

Ibrahim9999

Jul 31, 2013
I'm sorry but that didn't work for me. Since you say you've done it many times, did it work for you this time too?

I did exactly as you described, just added the .png files for the atlas and icons and then zipped it back and switched to .apk

When I sign the file with zipsigner app with platform mode, it says there was a problem parsing the package.

I really want to use my custom Flappy Bird Mod but this is driving me crazy hahaha

Okay, finally I got what I was doing wrong. I was zipping the whole folder, not the content. I managed to get the apk, sign it and install it... but it FC when i hit the "Play" button. I'm close to succeed! Any ideas on how to fix that? This time i just replaced the atlas.png file and nothing else.

Unfortunately I realised it only works for apk's which have their images seperate in /res/drawable/ and not for those with atlas.png.
So this method doesn't work with Flappy Bird, unfortunately.
You have to decompile, change files, compile and then sign with ZipSigner and it should work.

adrianmignogna

You can have both installed, just change the package id in the AndroidManifest.xml

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<manifest android:versionCode="3" android:versionName="1.7" [COLOR="Red"]package="com.renzgames.flappyrenz"[/COLOR]
  xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android">
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" />
    <uses-feature android:glEsVersion="0x20000" android:required="true" />
    <application android:theme="@style/AppTheme" android:label="@string/app_name" android:icon="@drawable/ic_launcher">
        <activity android:label="@string/app_name" android:name="com.dotgears.flappy.SplashScreen" android:screenOrientation="portrait">
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>
        <activity android:label="@string/app_name" android:name="com.dotgears.GameActivity" android:screenOrientation="portrait" />
        <activity android:name="com.gogle.ads.AdActivity" android:configChanges="keyboard|keyboardHidden|orientation|screenLayout|uiMode|screenSize|smallestScreenSize" />
        <meta-data android:name="com.google.android.gms.games.APP_ID" android:value="@string/app_id" />
    </application>
</manifest>

PS: That's an already modified XML of mine

Reactions: BuckyRocks

mior111

Jul 27, 2009
Want to Ask

Successfully created my own flappy version. Thank you for the guide.

I want to know;

1) Click rate button open up Amazon url, how do I change this?

2) Score ladder keep giving internet connection error. Any idea?

3) How / where can I can gameplay difficulties? if possible.

Thanks.

jumpers

Nov 11, 2010
Charleroi
Successfully created my own flappy version. Thank you for the guide.

I want to know;

1) Click rate button open up Amazon url, how do I change this?

2) Score ladder keep giving internet connection error. Any idea?

3) How / where can I can gameplay difficulties? if possible.

Thanks.

1) i think that's into smali files, inspecting after this asap
3) same thing, smali side i think. but not sure. i dont know whats "score ladder", same as google play games ?

could someone send me the PSD file ? i find not the psd file.

edit : i found the psd. ;)

Last edited:

Eve_brea

May 20, 2012
Reserved to showcase some Flappybird mods, mention me @PulseDroid if you want your mod here. Also feel free to request any mods.

NOTE:- Do NOT request a mod that removes the ads, that is seen as warez.

Actually, seeing as the creator TOOK DOWN the game, because it was making him too much money.... the ads should be removed. he does not want any money so who are you letting the ads pay? nobody? A defunct bank account? basically if you leave them in you're making money for the random companies hosting the ads, and nobody else.

Bert98

Jul 24, 2012
Padova
Moto G
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Help guys I can't find atlas.psd in assets/gfx.. Can you help me?
flap.PNG
EDIT: Appearently I can't read :good:

Last edited:

adempozhari

Mar 7, 2008
Tirane
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Its very strange when you click RATE button. it redirects to a url of a amazon store followed by an ID. It looks like CPA
Maybe this is the reason OP dont want to be asked to change the ads.

anyway does anyone know if i can upload the apk to google play and will the high score works after that?

ravid1323

May 27, 2012
Help with some good idea

IMPORTANT :- My imbox is overflowing with PMs, please keep sending them but understand that I won't be able to reply immediately. :)

We all know FlappyBird that super irritating bird crashing into every obstacle it sees. Since FlappyDoge was released I am sure some of you decompiled that apk and snooped around a bit. I made this thread for the less advance users who haven't had the guts to do that! Think how cool it would be to show your friends your version of Flappy____ that has your face on it! :eek:

I've created some elements in Photoshop ( and attached the psd's ) so that you find editing the game even easier.

Here is an example I quickly did ( Really quickly :p ) :

BoVUaJt.jpg
9f0gXXD.jpg
JVDizQv.jpg
E3nVE3g.jpg

Tutorial:

1. Decompile:
  • First off download the original FlappyBird Here
  • Then decompile it with this tutorial

Code:
C:\[B]Path to apktool[/B]>apktool d "Original FlappyBird.apk" workspace

2. Graphics:

Now we get to the actual modding, download my zip here. In there is a font folder, open that up and install the font.
  • Unzip then navigate to assets/gfx - This folder contains most of the Graphic elements of FlappyBird. ( The birds, Buttons, Score etc. )
  • In there is two files, a psd and png, open the atlas.psd in Photoshop and edit away, I categorized the parts already. Note:- If you don't have Photoshop, you can edit the png, it will be a little bit harder though.
  • Copy the "atlas.png" to the assets/gfx of the decompiled apk.

3. Splash:

• In my Zip, navigate to drawable - Once again there is a psd and png file, edit as you like.
  • Copy the "splash.png" to /res/drawable of the decompiled apk.

4. Icon:

• The folders: drawable-640dpi ; drawable-mdpi ; drawable-xhdpi ; drawable-xxhdpi contains different sizes of icons.
  • Edit them as you like, again there is psds and pngs. - You can easily change the color gradient in Photoshop!
  • Copy all the ic_launcher.png files to their corresponding folders in the decompiled apps /res directory.

5. App Name and Others:

In my Zip, navigate to /values in there is a strings.xml open it with your choice of advanced text editor ( e.g. Notepad++ ).
To change the app name, edit the following line:

Code:
<string name="app_name">Flappy Pulse</string>

Then copy the strings.xml to the decompiled apk's /res/values/ folder.

6. Recompile & Sign:

Again recompile using My guide.

Code:
C:\[B]Path to apktool[/B]>apktool b workspace Flappy[B]Example[/B].apk

Remember to sign your app otherwise it wont' install! - I always use Zipsigner

That should do it! Hope you learned some things and had fun, enjoy raging at your own personalized Flappy_____

Thanks to @holabola for indirectly giving me the idea.

Hi!

I tried this tutorial with 2 other tutorial:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2760965
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23025727/can-i-change-version-code-from-apk
Very successful about a politician in my country. My teachers at my school (I'm still in high school) loved creating my flappy mod, and it was very funny.
The main teacher in my class, came up with an idea, make a game with all my classmates in it, but the problem is that there is only one that can be displayed or sound in the game.
My question is if there is any way to make multiple characters, which will change randomly each time the game is over?
The idea is that all my classmates will be in the game, as little birds (their head instead of the bird lol), and every student will have it's own sounds. I know it may be very difficult, and might will include coding, but I want to know, and maybe you know how to do such a thing?

Thanks In Advance

P.S It might be not effective if I'll post here my flappy mod, because it is in Hebrew, and include so much jokes you might won't understand about the politician, but there it is:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7NOh2RD8SquZ21wRDVCSnhGM3M/view?usp=sharing
It called "Sheli Bird", which is a parody about Shelly Yachimovich (discovered later that this is how "Shelly" ibeen written)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

IMPORTANT :- My imbox is overflowing with PMs, please keep sending them but understand that I won't be able to reply immediately. :)

We all know FlappyBird that super irritating bird crashing into every obstacle it sees. Since FlappyDoge was released I am sure some of you decompiled that apk and snooped around a bit. I made this thread for the less advance users who haven't had the guts to do that! Think how cool it would be to show your friends your version of Flappy____ that has your face on it! :eek:

I've created some elements in Photoshop ( and attached the psd's ) so that you find editing the game even easier.

Here is an example I quickly did ( Really quickly :p ) :

BoVUaJt.jpg
    9f0gXXD.jpg
    JVDizQv.jpg
    E3nVE3g.jpg

Tutorial:

1. Decompile:
    • First off download the original FlappyBird Here
    • Then decompile it with this tutorial

Code:
    C:\[B]Path to apktool[/B]>apktool d "Original FlappyBird.apk" workspace

2. Graphics:

Now we get to the actual modding, download my zip here. In there is a font folder, open that up and install the font.
    • Unzip then navigate to assets/gfx - This folder contains most of the Graphic elements of FlappyBird. ( The birds, Buttons, Score etc. )
    • In there is two files, a psd and png, open the atlas.psd in Photoshop and edit away, I categorized the parts already. Note:- If you don't have Photoshop, you can edit the png, it will be a little bit harder though.
    • Copy the "atlas.png" to the assets/gfx of the decompiled apk.

3. Splash:

• In my Zip, navigate to drawable - Once again there is a psd and png file, edit as you like.
    • Copy the "splash.png" to /res/drawable of the decompiled apk.

4. Icon:

• The folders: drawable-640dpi ; drawable-mdpi ; drawable-xhdpi ; drawable-xxhdpi contains different sizes of icons.
    • Edit them as you like, again there is psds and pngs. - You can easily change the color gradient in Photoshop!
    • Copy all the ic_launcher.png files to their corresponding folders in the decompiled apps /res directory.

5. App Name and Others:

In my Zip, navigate to /values in there is a strings.xml open it with your choice of advanced text editor ( e.g. Notepad++ ).
    To change the app name, edit the following line:

Code:
    <string name="app_name">Flappy Pulse</string>

Then copy the strings.xml to the decompiled apk's /res/values/ folder.

6. Recompile & Sign:

Again recompile using My guide.

Code:
    C:\[B]Path to apktool[/B]>apktool b workspace Flappy[B]Example[/B].apk

Remember to sign your app otherwise it wont' install! - I always use Zipsigner

That should do it! Hope you learned some things and had fun, enjoy raging at your own personalized Flappy_____

Thanks to @holabola for indirectly giving me the idea.

Reserved to showcase some Flappybird mods, mention me @PulseDroid if you want your mod here. Also feel free to request any mods.

NOTE:- Do NOT request a mod that removes the ads, that is seen as warez.

If you don't have Photoshop you can use Krita or GIMP. They can open most PSD files perfectly and they are both free ;)
    Anyway thanks for the file, I think it is easier to edit :)
    Code:
    C:\[B]Path to apktool[/B]>apktool d Original FlappyBird.apk workspace

in case someone decides to copy paste blindly like me. Its supposed to be

Code:
    apktool d "Original FlappyBird.apk" workspace
    Can we put these on google play without making google delete them? Of course if the word "flappy" isn't in the name

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I dont think so because u r using another game for base . And i think if u can put it will not be fair... Because preparing a game is not so easy and peeps r putting hardwork on them... i think u get what i mean ;)

Cheers