[Howto] App2sd Step by step

Search This thread

canocep66

Sep 20, 2009
xperia doesnt boot

hi i did all the things thats said in the tutorial
at first it seemed to work. when i was installing my games my phone memory remained same 400 mb. When i continued the process of installing my apps phone suddenly rebooted and it said blank sd card with purple led. my 8 gb flash drive became 30mb flash and i am not able to format it back to normal, not in the pc nor in the phone. Also now my phone doesn't boot at all. when i try to start it it freezes when the white sony ericsson white label screen comes, with purple led on. it stays there forever. can someone please help. my phone is useless now. did i bricked it, is there a way to fix it. thanks

casamg

Oct 27, 2010
Guatemala City
i tried several time like u said...
but still no work... :confused:
previous it's work when my FW 2.0.A.0.504..
but now i have 2.1.A.0.435 ..
i though maybe coz the FW...:mad:

Try this:
First disable the usb connection from the notification area on your pc (as you would with any other usb flash drive).
Then disable the usb connection from the phone.

I got the same message as you, so I did it like that and it worked like a charm!!

Claes1981

Jan 11, 2011
Gothenburg
possible update x10 after installing app2sd?

Hi and thanks for describing how to get app2sd!

Is it possible to update my x10i with PC companion and at the same time keeping all installed apps and their settings after installing app2sd with the method described in the first post?
I would like to install the latest update with dual-touch!

My specifications:
X10i
2.1-update1
2.6.29 SEMCUser@SEMCHost #1
2.0.2.A.0.24
I have enabled app2sd with the method described in the first post.

Sincerely

Claes

ChikCool

Aug 28, 2010
Moscow
After pressing Enter I got this

mount: No such file or directory
busybox is /system/bin/busybox
failed on '/data/app/*' - No such file or directory
rm failed for /etc/mount_sd.sh, No such file or directory
link failed File exists

+________________________________+
|********************************|
| finished going reboot now |
+--------------------------------+
Is it means failed?
How can I know that App2sd was installed in my X10?

sandy_tea

Mar 23, 2011
Jakarta
Hi why don't you guys try Link2sd..it's much more simplier than using app2sd anyway..I've tried app2sd before..but when tried link2sd I love it more..it's very easy to operate and u can put the link back to internal memory if u want to

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

Rykoshet

May 6, 2011
Hey, this is not working for me on X10 running CM 6.1.3.

When I create an EXT2 partition the SD card does no mount properly on my phone and it asks me if I want to format it...

:(

Ideas?

saimad4u

Mar 6, 2011
need ur help

completed all steps n cn add apps to sd also...bt still does it uses a bit of phone memmory????

zozokaa

May 24, 2011
if i want to install more than 10mb my phone is write this:Not enough space to install. ido all it and my apps/games was installed to sd but i cant install more than 10mb./LG optimus 2.1 eclair/

oneahamd

May 17, 2011
Jenin
error

xperia x10i
--------------------------------------------
when i try it for first time it's works very good
but when i flash my x10i this morning to:
Sony Ericsson X10i_2.1.B.0.1_CUST-DE GENERIC 1235-7836 - German Generic
Baseband: 2.1.67
Kernel: 2.6.29
rooted: Flashtool
cmd:
adb shell
adb server is out of date. killing...
ADB server didn't ACK
* failed to start daemon *
error:

Plz help

oneahamd

May 17, 2011
Jenin
worked

sorry it's work now...
the problem was I follow the instruction while "FlashTool" was opening ;)
I close every thing and start again ... and it's works very good

krasje

Jun 23, 2011
drives me nuts

ok i followed all steps. had to restart all over again due to my incapability to read...
Finally made it to final step, my Xperia X8 rebooted and all seems to work fine.
When i install an app however it still installs it on my phone's memory. Basicly all that changed IMO is a loss of the memory i assigned to ext2.
running latest 2.1 update from sony and started with fresh install.
Where did I go wrong?

edit: i just installed a ~50MB app (pocket legends) and it seems it only took about ~10MB on my phone's memory. could it be that the max empty memory (e.g. 256MB) can't go higher than the factory's default and is in fact now shown as a percentage of my total memory? i.e. i have 1000MB total but it only shows 100MB. when i take 100MB from the total it goes down to 90MB (10%)
really confused now, hope to make a summary that makes sense when i've had my dinner

Last edited:

CSankar

Jul 18, 2011
Hi

i will add some pictures if a have the time

I am confused. I am new to XDA forum and I've E10i. Without deleting the /data/app in the internal memory, is it possible to have both Internal/External as app2? So that incase of any issues, we will still use the Old one correct?

I like your support. WELL DONE.

heppojo

Mar 21, 2011
Amman
Sir,
Can you please send me by email detailed steps to do this.
I'm trying to follow your steps but in CMD the adb not working with me and i do not know why and please advice what i need to download before I start.
Please reply to:
eihabo70@aim.com

Thanks in advance

a big part of this new tutorial is not from me, credits go to tot31

New version out !!

Now you can choose if you also want to move the dalvik cache an the /data/data directory to sd (if you have an slow sd-card this will be a bit laggy) (to use this you can now use the update funktion)

and i've added an update funktion and protectet the install function so now you can't install app2sd two times an brick your fimrware

and if this help you you can help/thanks me ;)

If You have an x10 mini (pro) go here :

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=804574

The leds on boot are Now working :

blue means:

no proplem with sd card booting normal

purple/voilet means
sdcard malfunktion booting with failsafe

How To : App2sd on Xperia X10i

Pre Installation.
Root the phone by using z4root ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953 )

Step 1 : Preparing your micro SD Card.
Please refer to this link ( http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index...rd_partitioning ) on how to prepare your micro sd card.

For better performance I would advise that you use a Class 10 card instead of the original card that comes with the phone because the card is only Class 2 card. For more infomation on speed class rating of sd card please go here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

An excerpt taken from wikipedia :-
The following are the ratings of some currently available cards:
* Class 0 - These cards do not specify performance, which includes all legacy cards prior to class specifications.
* Class 2 - Minimum of 2 MB/s performance. Lowest speed for SDHC cards.
* Class 4 - Minimum of 4 MB/s performance.
* Class 6 - Minimum of 6 MB/s performance.
* Class 10 - Minimum of 10 MB/s performance.

Note : The recommended maximum size of ext2 partition is 1.4GB. I've tried 3GB before and ended up with unstable system and eventually crash the phone. So if you're really greedy since you've bought a 16GB or 32GB card to partition the ext2 more than the recommended size and if your phone is unstable, you've been warn but normaly 1.4 GB are enough

Step 2 : Download the related files.
1. App2sd : see attachment
2. adb shell : see attachment

Step 3 : Enabling USB Debugging mode on you phone.
Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging (check this option).

Step 4 : Installing App2sd.
Create a folder name adb in your pc and extract all the files from adb.zip into this folder.

Connect your phone to your pc and mount the sd card. Extract all the file from app2sd2.1.zip to the root of your sd card. Make sure to unmount the sd card before continue the next step.

In your pc open up a dos terminal box by typing cmd in the Search programs and files box.

Type

cd /adb

then type

adb shell

then type

sh /sdcard/app2sd.sh

you'll be presented by this screen...
|*Welcome To wolfilein's App2sd *|
|*installing script *|
+------------------------------------------+

~this version should be go on any device ~

+___________________+
|********************|
|* Menu *|
|* *|
|*[0] install app2sd *|
|* *|
|*[2] exit *|
|********************|
+-------------------------+
[0]

now just press the enter key & wait.

Important : Make sure to set your phone screen timeout to the max because Superuser will ask for your permission to allow this script to run. If your screen goes blank, you can't see this prompt and the installation will fail.

after a while you'll get this..

+-----------------------------------------+

the both messages above doesn't mean that your installation has failed

Finally after a reboot, your phone is ready with app2sd. From now on when you install any applications it will save into your sd card.

Disclaimer : Do this at your own risk. I will not responsible if any injuries or damage occur to you or your phone ;)

ramzidjoudi

Jun 12, 2011
not working for me i don't know why
i do all the steps
but when reboot i have nofified thad sd card is umpty and need to be formatted
an when i format it second partition (ext2) disappear

heydozt

Jun 4, 2013
not working for me i don't know why
i do all the steps
but when reboot i have nofified thad sd card is umpty and need to be formatted
an when i format it second partition (ext2) disappear

so do i. i was try like the tutorial, but if i plug in my sd to phone only "sd card blank..." appeared.
i was try make the 2nd partition system as fat32 too, but new problem appear. only 2nd partition readed by phone. in this chase, i can link the app but i can't play musics i was copied from pc to sd cos in pc only sd #1 patition can readed and phone only read the #2 partition.

back to ext2/ext3/ext4 problem, i was tried to mount manually ext2 with terminal operator (like mount ext2 for /cache in ubuntu/proxy) but i realize how i can mount the partition while the sdcard not detected by phone.

---is x10 gb 2.3.3 support ext2 format?---

please anybody help me resolve this problem

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    a big part of this new tutorial is not from me, credits go to tot31

New version out !!

Now you can choose if you also want to move the dalvik cache an the /data/data directory to sd (if you have an slow sd-card this will be a bit laggy) (to use this you can now use the update funktion)

and i've added an update funktion and protectet the install function so now you can't install app2sd two times an brick your fimrware

and if this help you you can help/thanks me ;)

If You have an x10 mini (pro) go here :

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=804574

The leds on boot are Now working :

blue means:

no proplem with sd card booting normal

purple/voilet means
    sdcard malfunktion booting with failsafe

How To : App2sd on Xperia X10i

Pre Installation.
    Root the phone by using z4root ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953 )

Step 1 : Preparing your micro SD Card.
    Please refer to this link ( http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index...rd_partitioning ) on how to prepare your micro sd card.

For better performance I would advise that you use a Class 10 card instead of the original card that comes with the phone because the card is only Class 2 card. For more infomation on speed class rating of sd card please go here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

An excerpt taken from wikipedia :-
    The following are the ratings of some currently available cards:
    * Class 0 - These cards do not specify performance, which includes all legacy cards prior to class specifications.
    * Class 2 - Minimum of 2 MB/s performance. Lowest speed for SDHC cards.
    * Class 4 - Minimum of 4 MB/s performance.
    * Class 6 - Minimum of 6 MB/s performance.
    * Class 10 - Minimum of 10 MB/s performance.

Note : The recommended maximum size of ext2 partition is 1.4GB. I've tried 3GB before and ended up with unstable system and eventually crash the phone. So if you're really greedy since you've bought a 16GB or 32GB card to partition the ext2 more than the recommended size and if your phone is unstable, you've been warn but normaly 1.4 GB are enough

Step 2 : Download the related files.
    1. App2sd : see attachment
    2. adb shell : see attachment

Step 3 : Enabling USB Debugging mode on you phone.
    Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging (check this option).

Step 4 : Installing App2sd.
    Create a folder name adb in your pc and extract all the files from adb.zip into this folder.

Connect your phone to your pc and mount the sd card. Extract all the file from app2sd2.1.zip to the root of your sd card. Make sure to unmount the sd card before continue the next step.

In your pc open up a dos terminal box by typing cmd in the Search programs and files box.

Type

cd /adb

then type

adb shell

then type

sh /sdcard/app2sd.sh

you'll be presented by this screen...
    |*Welcome To wolfilein's App2sd *|
    |*installing script *|
    +------------------------------------------+

~this version should be go on any device ~

+___________________+
    |********************|
    |* Menu *|
    |* *|
    |*[0] install app2sd *|
    |* *|
    |*[2] exit *|
    |********************|
    +-------------------------+
    [0]

now just press the enter key & wait.

Important : Make sure to set your phone screen timeout to the max because Superuser will ask for your permission to allow this script to run. If your screen goes blank, you can't see this prompt and the installation will fail.

after a while you'll get this..

+-----------------------------------------+

the both messages above doesn't mean that your installation has failed

Finally after a reboot, your phone is ready with app2sd. From now on when you install any applications it will save into your sd card.

Disclaimer : Do this at your own risk. I will not responsible if any injuries or damage occur to you or your phone ;)
    *NEWS*

I'm Aktually working on a new version with brings the following updates:
    You also can decide to move the Dalvik-cache, update modus, a help to add this in custom roms, so you can decide with an setting if you want to use app2sd.

but it won't give an android app because i haven't any java skills.
    No need for card reader, just plug the phone and use parted
    ok then you have no chance in the moment you onlx can try to flash back (see the thtread in the dev forum) an then install xrecovery because to install it you need root.

if you already have installed it, press a key while booting and you ghet into
    I did exactly what you told me. in the first page there's 3 files in the attachment (app2sd.zip, adb.zip, app2sd2.1.zip). i've try to extract app2sd.zip to the root of my sdcard but it falis. even if i extract app2sd2.1.zip. (which is I don't know which one do I have to use)
    here is what happened:
    View attachment 500006

sh /sdcard/app2sd.sh

There's supposed to be a space in between "sh" and "/sdcard".