Possible Custom Kernel for LG E980 CM11

Search This thread

kaymmm

Feb 5, 2012
I want to create a custom kernel for the LG E980.........what do I need to learn to do so.......I have never made a kernel before so any help would be appreciated.....Thanks In advance

read. lots and lots of reading. and be patient.

search around xda for the how-to threads on kernel building and customizing.

i started work on a 4.3 kernel a while ago before we had stable cm-10.2 official builds, but abandoned it after the switch to the lge-kernel-gproj sources because i just don't have the time.

my suggestion is to check out the sources for other devices' custom kernels, such as those for the lge mako/optimus g, htc one/m7, and samsung gs4/jflteatt. you can probably cherry pick batches of commits from some of those kernels, but be sure you have a sense of what the changes do, or at least which modified files do what. also, it's worth noting that not all kernel sources are structured the same way even though they're all linux kernels. so cherry pick with caution.

be sure that you update the defconfig for the correct device in arch/arm/config (or create a new one for your custom kernel). if you're forking the lge-kernel-gproj sources from cyanogenmod (which i highly recommend as your base), there is already a defconfig for the e980.

um...other things...as far as over clocking and undervolting, when you browse other kernels' sources, you'll want to look at the commits involving cpufreq and/or acpuclock-8xxx (don't recall the specifics off the top of my head). iirc, start by looking in arch/arm/mach-msm and see which files were most recently modified.

good luck, and if you need help, i suggest checking out the project rookie threads (search xda). as long as you ask nicely and keep a courteous attitude, folks in those threads are extremely helpful.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I want to create a custom kernel for the LG E980.........what do I need to learn to do so.......I have never made a kernel before so any help would be appreciated.....Thanks In advance

read. lots and lots of reading. and be patient.

search around xda for the how-to threads on kernel building and customizing.

i started work on a 4.3 kernel a while ago before we had stable cm-10.2 official builds, but abandoned it after the switch to the lge-kernel-gproj sources because i just don't have the time.

my suggestion is to check out the sources for other devices' custom kernels, such as those for the lge mako/optimus g, htc one/m7, and samsung gs4/jflteatt. you can probably cherry pick batches of commits from some of those kernels, but be sure you have a sense of what the changes do, or at least which modified files do what. also, it's worth noting that not all kernel sources are structured the same way even though they're all linux kernels. so cherry pick with caution.

be sure that you update the defconfig for the correct device in arch/arm/config (or create a new one for your custom kernel). if you're forking the lge-kernel-gproj sources from cyanogenmod (which i highly recommend as your base), there is already a defconfig for the e980.

um...other things...as far as over clocking and undervolting, when you browse other kernels' sources, you'll want to look at the commits involving cpufreq and/or acpuclock-8xxx (don't recall the specifics off the top of my head). iirc, start by looking in arch/arm/mach-msm and see which files were most recently modified.

good luck, and if you need help, i suggest checking out the project rookie threads (search xda). as long as you ask nicely and keep a courteous attitude, folks in those threads are extremely helpful.