Problem - Omate not turning on or charging

Search This thread

pmhesse

Jul 18, 2011
Greetings,

I received my TrueSmart a few days ago. Promptly broke my Flappy Bird record on it (44!) and got a few other apps on there.

Tuesday, I was wearing the watch while I was getting some exercise. I believe that is kind of the point of it (Outdoor Mate). It had a full charge overnight and I hadn't used it much during the day. Mid-afternoon Tuesday I noticed it wouldn't turn on when I went to wake it up.

I brought it home to the charger Tuesday night and plugged it in. The behavior then (as now) is as in this video:
Basically the screen comes on, shows the battery charging screen, then turns off. Repeat. Forever.

I have not flashed anything to it. I have not unscrewed a screw on it. I haven't entered recovery mode.

Questions:
- Can it be fixed?
- How do I get a hold of Omate if it can't?

Since the card I received with the device indicated that opening the case to replace the battery would void my warranty, I would prefer that Omate replace the battery and keep my warranty intact. I'd like to use this device, and showering with it is kind of desirable. I have a neat app I'm developing for it... but right now I can't since it's dead.

Thanks for your help.

pmhesse

Jul 18, 2011
If it matters, it's a 1/8 1900. Original shipping firmware.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Opening the back DOES NOT VOID THE WARRANTY (where are people getting this garbage info from). The only thing it voids is the liquid damage portion of the warranty with regards to water resistance.

Using a needle try to gently lift up the pins in the dock. This sometimes resolves both charging and connection to the PC issues. If this does not work;

Open the back, pull the battery, reseat the battery and try to charge it.

pmhesse

Jul 18, 2011
Opening the back DOES NOT VOID THE WARRANTY (where are people getting this garbage info from).

The garbage info is coming from the card that came with my watch:

"You may open your TrueSmart, but that will require you to break a seal sticker located on one of the battery cover screws and thus void your warranty. Omate cannot guarantee the waterproofness of the TrueSmart once the battery cover has been opened." (Photo of the card at imgur dot com slash wBo2Jur)

I would actually prefer my watch to be weather and life-resistant, and so I'd rather Omate fix this under warranty rather than have me void mine.

I tried pulling up the pogo pins - one was definitely jacked up, but I fixed it as best as I could. Unfortunately that didn't do the trick. So how do I get Omate's help fixing it? Thanks.

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Well either Omate is wrong, (the card) or Omate is wrong (update on KS regarding warranty).

Chances are, your TS is not "weather and life-resistant" to begin with as it was never even tested properly to begin with.

If you are going to wait to get it serviced then expect to wait a long time. Your only two options are to send the TS back to China (at least a month turn around) or wait til they have service centers in your country (an even longer wait).

Reactions: pmhesse

zdiamant

Aug 31, 2009
I had same issue.. After wearing the watch while exercising and sweating, I noticed the screen frizzing out, then would not charge at all. Contacted Omate, and at first they said to wait until service center opens up in my country (USA). I recently received another email stating that I should mail the watch back to Hong Kong. FedEx charges $80 for shipping.. I am debating on whether I should send it back or wait for service center (tough to justify $80 on an item I paid $200)
ZD

pmhesse

Jul 18, 2011
I had same issue.. After wearing the watch while exercising and sweating, I noticed the screen frizzing out, then would not charge at all. Contacted Omate, and at first they said to wait until service center opens up in my country (USA). I recently received another email stating that I should mail the watch back to Hong Kong. FedEx charges $80 for shipping.. I am debating on whether I should send it back or wait for service center (tough to justify $80 on an item I paid $200)
ZD

How did you contact them? Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

b4d5h0t

Apr 27, 2011
My callisto 100, which is very similar to the omate if not identical, did the same thing, wouldnt wake wouldnt light up when i plugged the charger in... i just removed the back took out the battery for 30 secs and put it back in and it booted up again without a problem.

I notice it tends to be sluggish waking if i leave the camera app open when it sleeps and that one time it didnt wake at all i had also had the camera app running. So now i always close the camera manually before letting it sleep

Sent from my GT-N5100 using xda app-developers app

lilbyrdie

Jun 11, 2010
Opening the back DOES NOT VOID THE WARRANTY (where are people getting this garbage info from). The only thing it voids is the liquid damage portion of the warranty with regards to water resistance.

Using a needle try to gently lift up the pins in the dock. This sometimes resolves both charging and connection to the PC issues. If this does not work;

Open the back, pull the battery, reseat the battery and try to charge it.

Well either Omate is wrong, (the card) or Omate is wrong (update on KS regarding warranty).

The kickstarter update I see on the warranty simply says that the regular warranty does not cover water damage. It says nothing about the regular warranty. Since there is no warranty on water damage, the card that comes with the watch is consistent; it says opening the back will "void your warranty." The only warranty we have isn't related to water, therefore it's the main warranty that is void if you open the back cover.

But here's the deal -- and why I think you are correct that the card, and even the post, is misleading. To access the SD card slot and the battery (which a spare one came with mine) requires removing the back. The instructions that come with the device are very clear on this. There's a good chance that the legal implications of the spare battery and SD card access are that opening the back wouldn't void one's warranty -- otherwise, why would it come with a spare battery and a hidden memory card slot on the instruction sheet? And why would it come with a screw driver and extra screws?

So, not having to worry about the moisture warranty (there is none) and knowing the instructions tell you how to get to the SD card slot -- under the battery -- seems fair game to open it to reset it.

It's all very confusing. Of course, I didn't get a developer edition without reason.

Popping the four screws without messing up the stickers is also quite easy. While in there removing the battery to reset the device, drop in an SD card for some extra storage.

Yes, it worked for me. Pressing and holding the buttons doesn't seem to be able to trigger a hard reset from that state, but popping the battery works easily enough. I might have to start carrying around the screw driver. ;)

pmhesse

Jul 18, 2011
So, not having to worry about the moisture warranty (there is none) and knowing the instructions tell you how to get to the SD card slot -- under the battery -- seems fair game to open it to reset it.

Yes, it worked for me. Pressing and holding the buttons doesn't seem to be able to trigger a hard reset from that state, but popping the battery works easily enough. I might have to start carrying around the screw driver. ;)

Thanks lilbyrdie. After waiting two weeks for any sort of response from Omate (hint: got none) I cracked it open based on your advice. Pulling the battery worked like magic. :good: I almost wanted to wire in some sort of access to the battery so that I could drain the battery without cracking the watch. However that was going to require work and I think I'll just back to doing wrist curls wearing this behemoth.

radmir1948

Aug 1, 2017
Thanks lilbyrdie. After waiting two weeks for any sort of response from Omate (hint: got none) I cracked it open based on your advice. Pulling the battery worked like magic. :good: I almost wanted to wire in some sort of access to the battery so that I could drain the battery without cracking the watch. However that was going to require work and I think I'll just back to doing wrist curls wearing this behemoth.

Two years ago I bought Omate true smart watch phone. It works two weeks, then it fails. Their dock station doesn't work properly. I suspect the main reason is all contacts between battery, watch, cover, dock station, usb.
If you look on them you will see: all of them are made from some kind of brass, not gold. I'm not sure if the battery has internal controller, and you can't charge directly from AC, which has charging current greater than 0.9 ma.
I lost any hope to launch this fake device.
Regards,
Radmir

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Chances are, your TS is not "weather and life-resistant" to begin with as it was never even tested properly to begin with.

If you are going to wait to get it serviced then expect to wait a long time. Your only two options are to send the TS back to China (at least a month turn around) or wait til they have service centers in your country (an even longer wait).