[Q] New Rom / missing features of basic apps

Search This thread

inmado

Aug 27, 2014
Hi!

I just installed the KITKANG rom (cf. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2549776) and a the first glance, it is pretty nice. But then I noticed a few things I really dislike such as

- The Web Browser does not reformat text (to make it fitting on the screen) if you zoom in manually by gesture. The browser I had on my previous image (caynogenmod 7) did this. And I don't want to miss that feature anymore.

- The contacts application seems to work by syncing contacts tothe Google cloud, only. My old contacts app had the choice to store contacts locally on the phone without Google sync.

I have no idea how to get this missing features back, again. Any comments / pointers?

I.

eddiehk6

Dec 18, 2010
London
- Install another browser that has this feature

- The newer 'people' app may not have the option to store locally, but why do you want this? The whole point of an Android phone is to sync with your Google account.

It is dangerous to only store your contacts on the phone, because if you ever lose the phone, you lose all your contacts.

If you sync your contacts to your Google account and you lose your phone, your contacts are still safe :good:

inmado

Aug 27, 2014
- Install another browser that has this feature

- The newer 'people' app may not have the option to store locally, but why do you want this? The whole point of an Android phone is to sync with your Google account.

It is dangerous to only store your contacts on the phone, because if you ever lose the phone, you lose all your contacts.

If you sync your contacts to your Google account and you lose your phone, your contacts are still safe :good:

@ browser issue: I meanwhile learned that the issue cause by a change of the the rendering engine in Android to WebView. So, almost all browsers are affected by this. (For details, google "Text Reflow Removed From WebViews In KitKat, Probably Not Coming Back"). Opera is an exception, because it comes alone with its own machinery. However, I tried Opera and is is slow on my HTC Desire. As many, many other people complaining, I cannot understand why the Android development folks dropped such a fundamental feature. The Android Browser of Kitkat tends to be unusable now! And I consider a smartphone without a proper browser as unusable as well. Which at the end might prevent me from buying another Android smartphone...

@ contacts: I totally disagree. Well, yes, from Googles perspective, your statement might be true. But for the user, Android is at first just an operating system to run your smartphone. Think about why Google wants your data...! - I want to *own* my data, so I don't want to use cloud services. Strange that you think syncing of data is equivalent to syncing to Google! Of course I sync all my data. To my own PC. If I'd loose my phone, I won't loose my data, just re-install it to my new phone from my PC.

It is nice that Google offers syncing. But enforcing to sync *is* evil...

Last edited:

eddiehk6

Dec 18, 2010
London
@ browser issue: I meanwhile learned that the issue cause by a change of the the rendering engine in Android to WebView. So, almost all browsers are affected by this. (For details, google "Text Reflow Removed From WebViews In KitKat, Probably Not Coming Back"). Opera is an exception, because it comes alone with its own machinery. However, I tried Opera and is is slow on my HTC Desire. As many, many other people complaining, I cannot understand why the Android development folks dropped such a fundamental feature. The Android Browser of Kitkat tends to be unusable now! And I consider a smartphone without a proper browser as unusable as well. Which at the end might prevent me from buying another Android smartphone...

@ contacts: I totally disagree. Well, yes, from Googles perspective, your statement might be true. But for the user, Android is at first just an operating system to run your smartphone. Think about why Google wants your data...! - I want to *own* my data, so I don't want to use cloud services. Strange that you think syncing of data is equivalent to syncing to Google! Of course I sync all my data. To my own PC. If I'd loose my phone, I won't loose my data, just re-install it to my new phone from my PC.

It is nice that Google offers syncing. But enforcing to sync *is* evil...

I can see this descending quickly into a rather philosophical debate, but on the basis of your reasoning I wonder whether an Android smartphone is suitable for your needs in the first place. I didn't know your stance on personal data from your first post.

I agree with the text reflow browser, a really useful feature. Opera has it like you found out, though the Desire is just an old phone now which struggles to run it. Plenty of newer Android devices will run it just fine. The depth of the Play Store is such that you'll almost certainly find an alternative suitable for your requirements, so perhaps test and consider that for future smartphone purchases.

As for syncing with cloud services, it comes down to user trust and needs I guess. You're right you don't have to use Google, but an Android smartphone really does work best if you use their services.

No, I don't think that syncing of all my data is equivalent to syncing to Google, I use other other accounts too and don't sync everything. In my opinion I think it's possible to find a reasonable middle ground between paranoid tin hat and being ignorant about all personal data. For me, I disable all location tracking stuff and usage stats for any apps (not just Google ones), as I don't need them and feel uncomfortable sending this data. But I do sync other google services like Gmail / contacts because I find they work and are convenient for me. You believe it's evil, I believe it's useful and convenient, just a difference of opinion.

For your workaround, if you don't want to sync contacts, you could disable contact sync within the settings. Would be equivalent to local storage. Or install a different contacts app to manage and store contacts locally.

inmado

Aug 27, 2014
To avoid this philosophical debate, I'll try give a short answer.

I am using Android for about 5 years now. Without using Google cloud services. And have been a happy Android user. Sounds quite funny to me if someone wonders if Android would be the right thing for me.

Using cloud services is not really a matter of trust. I.e. I am not afraid that Google looks into single items and makes use out of it. But if you have heard about "big data", you can imagine what the result can be when all the data of some many people gets available for ... things you cannot even imagine..

I tried to add a contact with Google sync switched off. It just don't work. The app hangs...

eddiehk6

Dec 18, 2010
London
To avoid this philosophical debate, I'll try give a short answer.

I am using Android for about 5 years now. Without using Google cloud services. And have been a happy Android user. Sounds quite funny to me if someone wonders if Android would be the right thing for me.

Using cloud services is not really a matter of trust. I.e. I am not afraid that Google looks into single items and makes use out of it. But if you have heard about "big data", you can imagine what the result can be when all the data of some many people gets available for ... things you cannot even imagine..

I tried to add a contact with Google sync switched off. It just don't work. The app hangs...

You're revealing more about your preferences and Android experience to date with each post...it's not just me wondering whether Android is right for you, in your second post you said so yourself ;)

Anyway each to their own.

Have you tried installing a completely separate contacts/dialer application? You could sideload or use a different app store to find one. A few I know of:
- Contacts+
- Ex dialer
- RocketDial
- Go contacts ex

I'm certain at least one of them will be able to create phone contacts only.