[POLL] PDroid Permission Management: do you want it?

PDroid: do you want it?

• Yes! I really want a rom with PDroid built in

Votes: 46 86.8%
  • PDroid would be OK

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • I don't care if PDroid is in a rom

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • No.

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

cashmundy

Mar 9, 2010
UPDATE: PDROID NOW AVAILABLE VIA BOTBREW:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26033156&postcount=10

First, for those who haven't heard about it:

PDroid

PDroid ICS Port

At this point, as far as I can tell, PDroid is only available as a patchset, not in any rom.

It looks like it is a lot more powerful than CM Permission Management.

The purpose of this poll is so Vibrant users can show interest in a rom with PDroid built in, hopefully motivating rom devs to add it.

Last edited:
Reactions: closedcircuit

c-pimp

Jun 24, 2006
Oswego
Yeah pdroid looks awesome! I asked about this in slim forum and cm forum somewhere around here but got no love lol... its really awesome permission management and if they add a firewall it would be a must need app that I would love to buy... you can use it with droidwall but it has leaks and allows access before it loads up on reboot... pdroid could block that from the start if it had a firewall incorporated tho... I look forward to the development of this awesome app.

c-pimp

Jun 24, 2006
Oswego
Looks like we might get a try ourselves with an ics patcher in the not so far off future

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA

cashmundy

Mar 9, 2010
An ICS patch does appear to be in the works.

As for CM, you're right, it will never have PDroid, and I'm really beginning to wonder if they will even bring any permission management into CM9. If you look at the PDroid patch, it's not a huge amount of code, meaning if Google wanted android to allow privacy, they would have added it long ago. But the frankly rather seedy business model of Google and many "free" app writers and Facebook is the harvesting and selling of personal information, and they apparently threatened to cut CM off from Market access if they added strong privacy.

Clearly the long-term solution is Google-free phones running Debian or Ubuntu, but until then, there's PDroid.

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Hey guys-

UPDATE 6-5-12

I haven't had any requests for updated packages except for AOKP, so I can only confirm that AOKP Build 40 and CM7rc2 are currently supported! Any other ROMS are at your own risk! If you would like a ROM for vibrant or any other device to be supported, please post a request.

Okay, this is directions for PDroid support through Botbrew. Installing these packages over your nightlies will get PDroid working each time you flash, without having to patch every time. This way you can update your rom whenever you want.

Here is the XDA frontpage article about this exact process!

IMPORTANT: Eventually, the source code for these ROMs will change to a large enough degree that the packages won't work anymore! Just reflash the ROM and come report here at the thread. I will update the package as soon as possible (usually pretty damn soon, if I do say so myself...)

Directions

1. Install Botbrew from Google Play
    Botbrew will bootstrap some packages necessary for its operation.
  2. Install package repository-mateorod and press the refresh button.
  3. There are three packages available at the moment for the Vibrant. Install the package that matches the ROM you are using.
    • android-framework-pdroid-cm9
      For Cyanogen9 ROMs
    • android-framework-pdroid-aokp
      For AOKP Milestone builds
    • android-framework-pdroid-aosp-gummy
      For Team Gummy AOSP builds
      New!
    • android-framework-pdroid-cm7.2final
      For CM7.2 Final!
    YOU MUST install the package that corresponds with your ROM, or it will result in bootloops!
  4. Reboot!
  5. Launch PDroid and configure.
That's it!

Note: You won't see any of the packages if you look while running CM7 due to an inconsistency in the cm7 build.prop.
If you have any questions about Botbrew or the process, here is a Q&A I have at the thread for my packages I host for the Nook Color.

If you have any questions about PDroid and the port to ICS, here is pastime1971's thread on the process. Thanks pastime!

Also thanks to c-pimp for the Team Gummy files! Also to svyat for PDroid and inportb for Botbrew!

cashmundy- could you maybe put a note in the OP about this being here? If you think I should start a new thread, I will. Thanks!

Last edited:

cashmundy

Mar 9, 2010
I confirm this is working with the 5-12 CM9 nightly. Thanks to mateorod and everyone he thanks in the post above!

Reactions: mateorod

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Thanks, cashmundy. The problem was that cm9 has a weird naming convention for just your device, at least unique as far as I have seen.

I just changed the package to reflect your arch.conf.

So thanks very much for testing and finding the problem. I am pretty sure everything is OK now, but let me know!

Reactions: cashmundy

cashmundy

Mar 9, 2010
Still on CM9. Did a reset, installed botbrew and your repo, and I now have no pdroid package.

As expected, botbrew fetched the CM9 props on install
, except that it down-cased the model to "sgh-t959".

arch.conf:

arch all 10
arch any 20
arch noarch 30
arch armeabi 100
arch armeabi-v7a 110
arch sgh-t959 120

build.props:
ro.product.model=SGH-T959
ro.product.brand=samsung
ro.product.name=SGH-T959
ro.product.device=SGH-T959
ro.product.board=aries
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Okay man. I took out the sgh-t959 package because I thought you said cm9 had vibranttmd as arch.

Are you saying that it changes whether or not you install cm9 as an update? Cause I don't see how that would be.

I am going to make it so Botbrew has cm9 packages for sgh-t959 and vibrantmtd. We'll sort it out for good later tonight when I have some time.

Thanks for your time and effort testing this stuff!

cashmundy

Mar 9, 2010
CM7 has vibrantmtd as ....device and SGH-T959 as ....model. CM9 has SGH-T959 as both model and device, as does AOKP. If you (or BotBrew) could use model instead of device, it might work well.

What happened before was I tried CM9 over CM7 without a reset. BotBrew didn't catch the upgrade, and so kept the conf from CM7. When I reset and then installed BotBrew, it found the new props and configured accordingly. A hook in BotBrew to check the current rom on startup and reconfigure itself on flashes would be a good thing.

I'm currently showing all three packages, version -9.
One minor note: somewhere you specify the BotBrew refresh button as being on the top right. On my phone it is always on the bottom left. Maybe more vibrant weirdness.

Final random thought: I'm not very impressed with CM9. It has some real drawbacks (the keyboard for example).
CM7 is still overall a lot better (to me) and if PDroid ever makes it there, I'll test it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mateorod

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Well, I am still considering about cm7. Let me see.

Botbrew does has services you can turn on to configure at boot, as well as several ways it detects flashes, although most of those are centered around packages or the terminal.

But thanks for those tips, there is definitely some weirdness going on with the vibrant that I haven't seen elsewhere, but is good to know about because it could resurface in other devices.

But yeah, for instance, you could use light pad to turn your sdcard into a web server, and host websites off of it, so that's one of the services options.

There is honestly a world of stuff in the repo already, and he's about to add debian INSIDE android.

Crazy. Thanks, cashmundy. I will look into cm7.

Reactions: cashmundy

cashmundy

Mar 9, 2010
Very cool.

I think I'll try AOKP again when a new build is out, and test the patch there.

One thing that would be useful would be a white-hat app which would request all permissions, gather all possible data, and display it. As it stands, we have to take it on faith that pdroid, droidwall etc actually work.

For the long term, I am very much hoping for Debian instead of android. ;)

Last edited:

gaikokujinkyofusho

May 18, 2008
Different Day, Different Place
Hey guys-

Most everyone in this thread I already know from the port thread. I was looking for a good place to put out this info. Glad I didn't start another thread already!

Okay, this is directions for PDroid support through Botbrew. Installing these packages over your nightlies will get PDroid working each time you flash, without having to patch every time. This way you can update your rom whenever you want.

IMPORTANT: Eventually, the source code for these ROMs will change to a large enough degree that the packages won't work anymore! Just reflash the ROM and come report here at the thread. I will update the package as soon as possible (usually pretty damn soon, if I do say so myself...)

Directions

2. Install package repository-mateorod and press the refresh button at top right!
  3. There are three packages available at the moment for the Vibrant. Install the package that matches the ROM you are using.
      For Cyanogen9 ROMs
    YOU MUST install the package that corresponds with your ROM, or it will result in bootloops!
  4. Reboot!
That's it!

Note: You won't see any of the packages if you look while running CM7 due to an inconsistency in the cm7 build.prop.
If you have any questions about Botbrew or the process, here is a Q&A I have at the thread for my packages I host for the Nook Color.

If you have any questions about PDroid and the port to ICS, here is pastime1971's thread on the process. Thanks pastime!

Also thanks to c-pimp for the Team Gummy files! Also to svyat for PDroid and inportb for Botbrew!

cashmundy- could you maybe put a note in the OP about this being here? If you think I should start a new thread, I will. Thanks!

Ok, at the risk of annoying someone (due to my noobness) I wanted to ask if I could do the above for my kindle (which i just flashed with AOKP milestone 5) or is the above strictly for the sammy vib?

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Ok, at the risk of annoying someone (due to my noobness) I wanted to ask if I could do the above for my kindle (which i just flashed with AOKP milestone 5) or is the above strictly for the sammy vib?

If you run cm9 or aokp, I can take care of you.

Post your services, core, and services.jar plus build.prop at my packages thread so we keep this vibrant only.

Thanks for your interest.

Reactions: gaikokujinkyofusho

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys-

UPDATE 6-5-12

I haven't had any requests for updated packages except for AOKP, so I can only confirm that AOKP Build 40 and CM7rc2 are currently supported! Any other ROMS are at your own risk! If you would like a ROM for vibrant or any other device to be supported, please post a request.

Directions

2. Install package repository-mateorod and press the refresh button.
        For Cyanogen9 ROMs
        New!
      • android-framework-pdroid-cm7.2final
        For CM7.2 Final!
    4. Reboot!
    That's it!

Pdroid working for AOKP and CM9

PDroid is finally available for AOKP and CM9 on T959 Vibrant via botbrew. Follow instructions at http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24934484&postcount=123 big thanks to mateorod for porting it over.
    Pdroid 1.32-10 will cause BOOTLOOP with AOKP Build 38. Wait for new version before installing.

No longer!

Thanks for the tip. New packages are in the repo. I added some new packages for this ROM as well, ones I do for some other devices.

Since this it would seem that AOKP is the only ROM that vibrant users are currently installing packages to, AOKP is the only one I made new packages for.

Other ROMS will be looked into by request.

The packages are:
    • Enables PDroid
    • android-framework-v6-aokp
    • Enables 100% V6 Supercharger
    • android-framework-pdroid-v6-aokp
    • Enables Both Pdroid and V6.

The installation instructions are the same for all packages and can be seen here.

Edit You will need to download a copy of the V6 Supercharger script separately. You can do so here.

These packages are available on both Botbrew stable (anise or Root in Play) and experimental (Basil).

Let me know how it goes, and if you think I should start a thread for this to let more people know.
    UPDATE: PDROID NOW AVAILABLE VIA BOTBREW:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26033156&postcount=10

First, for those who haven't heard about it:

PDroid

PDroid ICS Port

At this point, as far as I can tell, PDroid is only available as a patchset, not in any rom.

It looks like it is a lot more powerful than CM Permission Management.

The purpose of this poll is so Vibrant users can show interest in a rom with PDroid built in, hopefully motivating rom devs to add it.
    Well, my man closedcircuit sent me the framework files, so there is indeed support for AOKP Milestone 6 in both Botbrew repos.

If you are a first-timer, remember to install repository-mateorod or you won't see the packages you need.

All the most recent packages end in 13.

Also, zeppelinrox updated the smali edits for the v6 supercharger to include some new features...these new edits are included in these most recent packages.

They're syncing now, should be available for you in the next 15 mins or so....