Just 3 left for 1.29.401.11

Search This thread

theliquid

Jul 11, 2010
Vienna
These branded updates are one of the worst things about Android ...

Google really needs to prevent this in future ...

My next phone will be unbranded again for sure ...

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

mudtail

Aug 14, 2010
maff.me.uk
Recently my contract came up for renewal, so I went with the One X because Three didn't have any other phones I was really interested in. Delivery date is Thursday this week so I'm really hoping Three get the update out soon. :/

iMack007

Jun 3, 2012
London
If only....

Recently my contract came up for renewal, so I went with the One X because Three didn't have any other phones I was really interested in. Delivery date is Thursday this week so I'm really hoping Three get the update out soon. :/

That would be nice. As it stands, I feel cheated by 3. HTC roll out the updates, but 3 just drag their feet as usual :-(

I'd like to return the phone as a faulty unit (being that without the update we lose still gigabytes of space on a regular basis) but the phone is simply too good to give up on due to my impatience. If they don't sort themselves out soon, I'm gonna have to consider rooting my device & flashing the stock HTC ROM, so I can get future timely updates. Suppose that will void my warranty though. :-D

Last edited:
I

ispongoo

When I got my phone I noticed the battery life was bad and when I started the camera I was horrified by them green lines.the 1.28 update fixed that but if I have the phone full brightness I can see the screen flickering .does 1.29 fix this? I'm on the UK network 3 still waiting for 1.29(the HTC is the most amount of money I every spent at on time so I was pissed to find out about all the glitches ,still it's getting PlayStation mobile) :D

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Premium HD app

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
That would be nice. As it stands, I feel cheated by 3. HTC roll out the updates, but 3 just drag their feet as usual :-(

I'd like to return the phone as a faulty unit (being that without the update we lose still gigabytes of space on a regular basis) but the phone is simply too good to give up on due to my impatience. If they don't sort themselves out soon, I'm gonna have to consider rooting my device & flashing the stock HTC ROM, so I can get future timely updates. Suppose that will void my warranty though. :-D

You can't as we don't have S-OFF. You can only go for custom ROMs and update accordingly when they release new versions

bigbamboo5

Jul 5, 2009
They are so far behind everyone else now that I imagine there is some issue with porting the update across with their customisation. Maybe they've skipped it altogether?

stu_tls

Jun 7, 2012
www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk
I have just upgraded through 3 on Tuesday to the HOX and upon getting the phone from the store I was talking to the sales guy who owns one he mentioned that there should be an update in 10 days time! whether this is true or not is a different story!

I have had to wait a few months after others have had updates on phones in the past with 3

twe69

Dec 24, 2008
I hope so, got my repaired Three branded HTC One X back and still on the same 1.28 software.....

bigbamboo5

Jul 5, 2009
It really is very odd - nearly six weeks on and the Vodafone forum is still saying that they have 'no news as to when the update might be coming'. I'm guessing that there must be some kind of issue with the customisation, which doesn't bode well. (Especially seeing as no customers will have wanted the phone customised in the first place...)

Drefsab

May 18, 2010
I personally think its quite clear that certain networks teams dont put enough resources into it and its not a major concern, the don't get that to users its a major concern especially in light of the bugs these updates fix. And they wonder why people want to run custom roms so much at least they are upto date.

bigbamboo5

Jul 5, 2009
I'm reading on the UK Vodafone forum that someone tried the in-store display phones and both of them were pushing the 1.29 update, so it seems like it's on its way...

Brac20

Mar 14, 2012
I'm reading on the UK Vodafone forum that someone tried the in-store display phones and both of them were pushing the 1.29 update, so it seems like it's on its way...

I think display phones tend to be unbranded. The display One X in my local Three store has been on 1.29 for weeks. It was also on 1.28 a couple of weeks before the Three branded update came out.

vodka_redbull

Dec 7, 2008
Had a frustrating conversation with Three support today.

When asked when the next HOX software update would be available he said my phone would already be on it. When I explained that unbranded phones already have the 1.29 update and we are still waiting he denied it was anything to do with Three! He insisted HTC distribute all updates to the phones and even said no updates have been released yet as the HOX is a brand new phone. I said that was also wrong as I had received the 1.28 update since buying the phone from Three but he just couldn't comprehend this. When I said I had seen comments on the Three support Twitter feed that they are testing 1.29 before releasing it to Three locked phones he once again denied Three have any involvement in the release of updates and said it is down to HTC!

It got quite heated as I said that was incorrect but he just told me to use HTC Sync to check for updates.

I just gave up at this point as I was getting more and more wound up by the fool at the other end of the call. Has anyone been told anything more solid by Three support?

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Another potential break through,
    I complained to HTC UK on twitter about Three (to which Three tried to defend themselves, funny how quickly they reply when you publicly complain about them to someone important). HTC privately sent me an @htc.com email address to have a chat with someone about my issues in more depth and privately :)

I have fired HTC an email saying:

As requested here is my email to discuss the ongoing saga with regards to software updates for my HTC One X on the Three's network.
    Currently my phone is running version 1.28.771.9 CL56522 release-keys and radio 1.1204.103.14H

1.28 is a buggy release which among things includes bugs of screen flickering, bad connectivity, the phone eating storage space and overheating/not charging.

Since May, Three have been promising to release an update to their carrier equivalent of 1.29.401.11 which by all accounts of those unbranded users and any user which is on a network other than Three - goes a long way to fixing a lot of these bugs.

We are now into August - we are still waiting for the update because apparently the first version of 1.29 failed a radio test (even though every other network in Europe released it without problem, and even Three Ireland released it) - meanwhile you are rolling out 2.17 to unbranded users in Europe (except the UK currently) which goes even further with bug fixing and dramatically improving battery life.

Now I know - I could be rid of all of these problems altogether by unlocking the bootloader and flashing any number of ROMs that are based on the 2.17 update - and looking around the internet there are numerous Three customers that are saying they are glad they did. The problem as you well know - is that leaves me in a very dodgy place with regards to warranty repairs. There does seem to be a number of manufacturer faults with this phone (though as far as I can tell - not my phone) relating to discolouration of the screen, erratic GPS and issues with WiFi. I don't want to be in the situation where having installed a ROM on my phone that finally fixes all the problems with it currently - I discover that my phone does indeed have a hardware fault after all - and HTC might not repair it since the bootloader had been unlocked.

I do not know why Three bother to brand their phones - if it is so much trouble for them to release a software update for them. My last phone was a HTC Desire - and I loved it - but because it was one of the very early batches released - Three had not branded it and I got my updates direct from HTC, that made a huge difference in my overall impression of Android and HTC. As it stands - I know a lot of people who have this phone - are not blaming Three for the issues - they are blaming HTC - because - "HTC make the phone, so it must be their fault". I really like HTC and I think it is a shame that people are having a less than satisfactory experience with the phone and blaming HTC - when HTC have already fixed the issues - and it is Three that is at fault for not releasing updates... on their blog page - they even went as far as to tell customers that they don't actually have to release updates - as if to say - be thankful that we do, we don't have to you know.

If the phone was unbranded - the experience would be so much more pleasant - and we both know - we are going to revisit this particular topic once again when HTC release a Jellybean update and Three take 6 months to decide if they are going to release it or not.

Sorry for the rant, it is just so frustrating that the potential that HTC One X has to really shine is being seriously overshadowed by the complete incompetence that is Three.

Finally - I would like to point out - that the current version us Three customers are on "1.28.771.9 CL56522 release-keys and radio 1.1204.103.14H" actually makes the phone not fit for purpose as it cannot perform it's primary function of being a mobile phone without toggling airplane mode on and off before you can actually connect to the network to make a call.

Many thanks for listening.
    Andy Jones

I will let you know if I get a reply.
    Andy
    Just had a call from Three Executive Office.

They could see the volume of correspondence from me, and see the amount of requests for information regarding my partly working One X.

She said she had been speaking to her Tech Team, and they had supplied the following info regarding updates:

- Release in April cleared and passed on to customers.

- Release in May had radio issues and was returned to HTC.

- Release in June caused radio issues, and also led to highly increased instances of network and call dropouts.

- (IMPORTANT) Three have been advised that there will be a further upgrade containing all fixes with them next week, and this should, all being well in testing, be passed on by the end of August, with 27th/28th being hoped for, but not promised.

I will get a call from them next week with a further update. They apologise for lack of updates, and are aiming to address now and in the future.

They will not sanction unlocking and/or rooting, but have taken on board that their branding of the phones may cause more problems than it solves on the newest handsets, and given everyone's access to the Internet and other mediums, this practice may be outdated and will be passed on for consideration.

That, is the latest from Three UK, and doesn't seem to firmly solve anybody's concerns, but does at least suggest a future.

Maybe.

Oh, and don't shoot the messenger.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
    +1 ^......spoke to them (technical support) & they claim it'll be ready for release by next week. Won't be holding my breath though...
    This is a good tutorial to follow stu_tls, this is what I am following.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1592355

Just rebooted as My HTC drivers was not working correctly (reboot fixed it).... Now on to the next step.
    Stone f$%#ing me. The pigs are on the runway.