Garmin Mobile XT

Search This thread

Vancelot

Dec 5, 2007
I have Garmin Mobile XT installed that I have used with the Garmin GPS10 bluetooth receiver.
Is there a way to make Mobile XT use the internal GPS? When I start it, it scans bluetooth for gps device. I don't see any other options.

Buggy222

Jan 11, 2008
Garmin Beta

I think if you search Garmin's website there is a beta version which uses internal gps in the new test rom

jrebeiro

Nov 15, 2006
Even if that is true the maps are still locked to your GPS10's serial number. You will need to use GPSGate to emulate the Garmin GPS protocol and cloak your GPS10's serial number. I am looking for a version of Mobile XT which will use the internal GPS as well. I'd love to ditch my GPS10 and go all internal. I like Mobile XT a lot and since I paid for Garmin maps I want to use them!

ilogik

May 27, 2006
I am using Garmin with the internal GPS, I cant really point you in the right direction because this sort of "talk" is prohibited here but it can be done quite easily.

jrebeiro

Nov 15, 2006
OK ummm... WOW!!!

All I can say is that Garmin Mobile XT is awesome! After a little hacking (not discussing here...Vancelot, PM me if you want info) I got the software unlocked to allow non-garmin GPS receivers. This software works with the intermediary driver so no launcher is necessary. It works like a charm! Now I don't feel so bad for buying the new maps nor the GPS10 receiver... even though I don't need it :)

parcou

Jun 7, 2008
TN
I spotted a copy of Garmin 2009 recently and downloaded it. By chance can anyone here tell me their experiences with TomTom compared to Garmin?

I currently have TomTom6 on my vz6800 but was curious about this application now?

Thx

proxcee

Dec 27, 2007
I spotted a copy of Garmin 2009 recently and downloaded it. By chance can anyone here tell me their experiences with TomTom compared to Garmin?

I currently have TomTom6 on my vz6800 but was curious about this application now?

Thx

I started out with TomTom...very good app. A friend of mine had me give Garmin XT a try...another good app. I'm starting to prefer Garmin though. It "was" easier to use with the intermidiate driver when I had dcd 3.1.6 installed...since 3.56 and 3.2.0 all have gone to hell...works very sporadically.

The biggest difference to me is with Garmin I can select just a few states about 4 or 5 and load them on my storage card (115 megs) as opposed to TomTom with no way to select the states you want (that I know of) to my storage card (just about 1 gig worth).

parcou

Jun 7, 2008
TN
I started out with TomTom...very good app. A friend of mine had me give Garmin XT a try...another good app. I'm starting to prefer Garmin though. It "was" easier to use with the intermidiate driver when I had dcd 3.1.6 installed...since 3.56 and 3.2.0 all have gone to hell...works very sporadically.

The biggest difference to me is with Garmin I can select just a few states about 4 or 5 and load them on my storage card (115 megs) as opposed to TomTom with no way to select the states you want (that I know of) to my storage card (just about 1 gig worth).

Good info proxcee...yeah I am still on 3.16 I may pause here for a moment...

Between the two apps, how did the maps look or the map rendering as it navigated along? ...about the same. I like on the car version how it shows buildings but this might not be an option for the mobile version...???

One thing I was looking for that the TomTom does not do was to see if Garmin Mobile app announce street names for the next turn...???

NetworkPIMP

Feb 22, 2007
Columbus, IN

How were you able to do this? I just have a giant 1GB .IMG file...

I have a 2GB SD and an 8GB on order, so it's not really a matter of space - I'm just thinking that a smaller map would yield better performance...

gc14

Dec 21, 2007
Boston, MA
One thing I was looking for that the TomTom does not do was to see if Garmin Mobile app announce street names for the next turn...???

You won't find that on mobile GPS software (as far as I know). I haven't tested TomTom7 yet, but neither TomTom6 or Garmin Mobile XT supports text to speech street names.

duongtran

Apr 19, 2008
I have Garmin and it si possible to split the maps into smaller ones, but if u already have the .img file then i think ur out of luck u need the mapsource i think its called.

bassett

Apr 14, 2007
I don't own Iguidance but I've used it on a friend's device, so my comments here are someone limited. I find the interface of TT6 and Iguidance to be equally good (neither struck me as having any particular weaknesses of note). The displays are good and menu navigation is intuitive and easy.

TomTom offers "plus" services like weather and traffice....Iguidance does not appear to.

Iguidance may require some tweaking with GPSGate to get it to work properly on the Mogul. This guide at ppcgeeks gives some insight:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=248345&postcount=282

There are tons of comparisons on the Internet. A quick glance this morning showed that it's a mixed bag as to what people prefer. I hope this is helpful.

krazycanuck82

Jan 22, 2008
London, ON

Thx

i had both of these on my phone at the same time to compare, i kept the tomtom and kiboshed the garmin. with the tomtom the maps just worked, while with garmin i had to select maps by small sections from my desktop to have them work. I also prefered the tomtom menu system and found the poi's to be superior.

godlim98

Jul 10, 2008
Garmin Mobile XT for WM6.1 pro

Hi,
I am new to Garmin, just installed Garmin Mobile XT v5.00.10w(cracked) in my HTC Touch 3G, i found that it tooks too long time for "Awaiting better GPS Accuracy" while i am driving on the road where the weather is actually good(clear sky). Sometimes can be 20-30mins long for "start navigation".

Can anybody advise me what's problem with my Garmin? Is this a setting problem? Or it doesn't cracked properly? It was cracked by the HTC shop's promoter where i bought it.

Besides, i tried to copy additional vehicles into "vehicles" folder, and when i launch Garmin, it becomes trial version, but it disappear after i deleted the newly copied vehicle files from the vehicles' folder.

Could you please kindly advise me?

Thank you in advance for your advise..

Vincent