[Q] Are you S-Off?

Search This thread

rawintellect

Oct 12, 2008
Purgatory
I've had about 4 soft bricks on phones I've had. I've never been unable to recover from them. emmc_recover (which is what racunhunter uses) is awesome! you just have to figure out what drive your phone is on via brickdetect.sh or some other script.

Quetzalcoatl

Jan 12, 2012
Usb 3.0 had the blue on the inside right? I think my laptop has 2-3.0 & 1-2.0.

Sent from my Blazing fast LTEvo!

Yeah but I don't know if it was usb3.0 causing the issue because I was able to almost done with all the steps when it pooped on me.
I moved everything to my home folder but the guys on irc said to leave everything in my downloads folder because that was the default directory so that may have something to do with it. Idk.
I htcdevunlocked on usb3.0 no problem

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

SouL Shadow

Jun 17, 2010
Stratford, CT
www.soulshadow.net
Just to clear up a couple points:

32bit OS is required because fastboot and adb are only provided by Google as 32 bit binaries. Some 64bit systems (both linux and windows) include 32bit compatibility, BUT NOT ALWAYS. This is why some ppl have had success and others brick (requiring racunhunter). There is no easy way to determine if your 64bit OS has this compatibility included.

Sd-card: Officially, the HTC Evo 4g LTE only supports up to a 32gb sdcard. 64gb works, but may be hiding silent errors. Any errors encountered during s-off process can potentially cause a brick requiring, again, racunhunter. The 16gb limit is there to guarantee an error free experience.

USB 3.0: The Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 DOES NOT SUPPORT USB 3.0. Often usb 3.0 ports will function as usb 2.0 ports when connected to the phone... HOWEVER, the Linux USB 3.0 driver still has some bugs, especially when trying to operate in usb 2.0 (or lower) compatibility mode. (Go read through the kernel documentation, you'll see). Again, this requirement is for your benefit and not just something Team Unlimited randomly decided. Many connectivity problems unrelated to s-off have been noted due to USB 3.0.

RUU: you must RUU to ensure that nothing from the stock htc release has been altered. Very specific files must be found exactly as HTC distributed them.

Htc dev relock/unlock:
To RUU your hboot must first be locked. After you've run the RUU, dirtyracun needs the access granted by htc dec unlock to do it's thing. It may seem pointless to relock then unlock, but it's the only way.

All these requirements are there to ensure you have no problems trying to s-off. 99.9% of the ppl who brick attempting s-off are because they forgot or ignored a required step.

Don't be scared. Follow directions (ONLY THE DIRECTIONS ON THE unlimited.io WEBSITE) and you will be amazed at how smooth the whole process is.

-SLS-

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Disclaimer:

I am in no way affiliated with Team Unlimited and nothing I posted here should be viewed as a communication from, or an endorsement by, Team Unlimited. The information above is based on my own knowledge of Linux, Windows, Qualcomm, HTC, Google (adb, fastboot) and any other topic mentioned.

The information above is provided solely for educational purposes, to help people understand why the requirements are needed. This is not a how-to, guide, or instructions of any kind.

-SLS-

polar2792

Oct 23, 2011
Gastonia, NC
I was on stock 3.16 and rooted using dirty racun and baby racun. Done it once on 32 bit Ubuntu got a soft brick. Done it twice on32 bit windows got soft bricks. Tried again on windows and finally got s off

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

BigMosley

Aug 19, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
So since I'm on 3.16 and the offical 3.16 RUU hasn't be released I am supposed to run the 3.15 RUU instead? Then this new BabyRacun thingamajigger? Also why don't they go into greater detail as to what this Abuntu program is? I've never heard of it which makes me iffy!

Last edited:

tilltheend714

Feb 20, 2011
So since I'm on 3.16 and the offical 3.16 RUU hasn't be released I am supposed to run the 3.15 RUU instead? Then this new BabyRacun thingamajigger? Also why don't they go into greater detail as to what this Abuntu program is? I've never heard of it which makes me iffy!

BabyRacun is for those like you who took the ota to 3.16. Not exactly sure but I think it sets up your phone so that the 3.15 RUU will work.
Ubuntu as a live cd is an OS that you run from a burned disc. You burn it, stick it in your computer, have it boot from disc, and choose to try ubuntu. It will leave your windows installation alone so when you are done using it, you just take the disc out and go straight back to your normal OS.

BigMosley

Aug 19, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
BabyRacun is for those like you who took the ota to 3.16. Not exactly sure but I think it sets up your phone so that the 3.15 RUU will work.
Ubuntu as a live cd is an OS that you run from a burned disc. You burn it, stick it in your computer, have it boot from disc, and choose to try ubuntu. It will leave your windows installation alone so when you are done using it, you just take the disc out and go straight back to your normal OS.

This thread tells you how to get the live CD from a Usb thumb drive http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2142044 . I would rather use a burned disk as well what are the instructions to make a disk?

mulhiny

Nov 15, 2008
Update NY
This thread tells you how to get the live CD from a Usb thumb drive http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2142044 . I would rather use a burned disk as well what are the instructions to make a disk?

I actually made a write up on making the bootable usb, but later found out that method is not supported by Unlimited. Bootable CD is the way to go.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

djjozo

Nov 11, 2010
Central Florida
I am about to try to go s-off, installed ubuntu on an old 32bit netbook. I have hboot 2.09, baseband 1.12.11.119 and soft ver. 3.16.651.3 71ord. I got 3.16 from upgrading to MB 3.0 I believe. Didn't install the firmware separately myself or take ota. Was wondering if after getting s-off thru flashing the 3.15 ruu, is it best to flash my MB 2.9 backup since it was based on 3.15? Or , will none of my backups work, not sure if going s-off means those that were made while s-on will then be incompatible. And don't take my not having any posts make you think I am completely green, my last device(optimus s) was my introduction to android. Just wasn't supported here as much as it was in another forum. I am aware that HTC is definitely a diff beast altogether. But I'm trying!!:p

tilltheend714

Feb 20, 2011
I am about to try to go s-off, installed ubuntu on an old 32bit netbook. I have hboot 2.09, baseband 1.12.11.119 and soft ver. 3.16.651.3 71ord. I got 3.16 from upgrading to MB 3.0 I believe. Didn't install the firmware separately myself or take ota. Was wondering if after getting s-off thru flashing the 3.15 ruu, is it best to flash my MB 2.9 backup since it was based on 3.15? Or , will none of my backups work, not sure if going s-off means those that were made while s-on will then be incompatible. And don't take my not having any posts make you think I am completely green, my last device(optimus s) was my introduction to android. Just wasn't supported here as much as it was in another forum. I am aware that HTC is definitely a diff beast altogether. But I'm trying!!:p

Your backups should work fine. And if the 3.16 backup doesn't work for some reason (it should), it's as easy as flashing the 3.16 full firmware zip from Captain's thread through the bootloader.

Reactions: djjozo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just to clear up a couple points:

32bit OS is required because fastboot and adb are only provided by Google as 32 bit binaries. Some 64bit systems (both linux and windows) include 32bit compatibility, BUT NOT ALWAYS. This is why some ppl have had success and others brick (requiring racunhunter). There is no easy way to determine if your 64bit OS has this compatibility included.

Sd-card: Officially, the HTC Evo 4g LTE only supports up to a 32gb sdcard. 64gb works, but may be hiding silent errors. Any errors encountered during s-off process can potentially cause a brick requiring, again, racunhunter. The 16gb limit is there to guarantee an error free experience.

USB 3.0: The Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 DOES NOT SUPPORT USB 3.0. Often usb 3.0 ports will function as usb 2.0 ports when connected to the phone... HOWEVER, the Linux USB 3.0 driver still has some bugs, especially when trying to operate in usb 2.0 (or lower) compatibility mode. (Go read through the kernel documentation, you'll see). Again, this requirement is for your benefit and not just something Team Unlimited randomly decided. Many connectivity problems unrelated to s-off have been noted due to USB 3.0.

RUU: you must RUU to ensure that nothing from the stock htc release has been altered. Very specific files must be found exactly as HTC distributed them.

Htc dev relock/unlock:
    To RUU your hboot must first be locked. After you've run the RUU, dirtyracun needs the access granted by htc dec unlock to do it's thing. It may seem pointless to relock then unlock, but it's the only way.

All these requirements are there to ensure you have no problems trying to s-off. 99.9% of the ppl who brick attempting s-off are because they forgot or ignored a required step.

Don't be scared. Follow directions (ONLY THE DIRECTIONS ON THE unlimited.io WEBSITE) and you will be amazed at how smooth the whole process is.

-SLS-

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Disclaimer:

I am in no way affiliated with Team Unlimited and nothing I posted here should be viewed as a communication from, or an endorsement by, Team Unlimited. The information above is based on my own knowledge of Linux, Windows, Qualcomm, HTC, Google (adb, fastboot) and any other topic mentioned.

The information above is provided solely for educational purposes, to help people understand why the requirements are needed. This is not a how-to, guide, or instructions of any kind.

-SLS-
    I always s-off if there's a method,, why wait your going to be taking time to unlock bootloader so why not just go for s-off,,

Also if anyone needs help just shoot me a PM

Sent From My White Cricket LTEvo

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
    I am S-OFF. I didn't think I could do it. It's my first android device ever, and I've never rooted. I am no expert when it comes to computers, but I am good at following directions and doing research. I didn't know a lick about linux till I got this device and started doing some research. I found a handy rooting guide online which took step by step from initial unlocking to S-Off using DiryRacun and BabyRacun. I followed it and didn't have one issue doing it. I even used Windows 7 64bit to do it, not 32bit as recommended

I will say that it requires careful reading and each step has to be followed patiently, but its quite doable.
    You say first try, so I'm guessing you s-off'd your replacement without issue? Probably using the correct usb port this time? Lol.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I was able to unbrick via racunhunter lol
    took about 3 minutes to unbrick.:cowboy: