[Q] Thoughts on CM 11

Search This thread

rcsrich

Jan 30, 2011
Richmond, VA
Could anyone running "stock" CM 11 on their T-Mo S3 comment on the experience? Is battery usage better/worse/the same as the stock TW 4.3 ROM? Any issues with screen auto-brightness, sensors, etc? Are there any stock Samsung apps that you miss?

I'm on the fence right now- I've been stock & unrooted since I got my S3 almost 2 years ago, but now starting to get the itch to move away from all the Samsung bloat. I know there are some little things I will miss about the Samsung version of some apps like email, but having a more uniform and less junked-up experience is appealing. I know I could root & get rid of the bloat too...

Just curious as to folks' impressions- I've used CM 7-10 in the past and enjoyed it...

Thanks in advance! :)

rcsrich

Jan 30, 2011
Richmond, VA
Quiet out there! Well, I've run across some reports of camera issues, but that's about the only negative I see with CM11 vs. TouchWiz so far. Oh, and losing WIFI calling, which has never been a big deal to me, but I do like having the option.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Everyone has their own preferences. Personally I am a TW guy. But there's plenty of folks on both sides. Great thing is you can try it and if you don't like it, just flash back to stock based.

Reactions: getochkn

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
Yup just try it, its nice, but up to personal preference.. I think camera and WiFi calling is one of the only downsides. I didn't experience much trouble with camera it was very stable, just that the touchwiz camera app is much better and takes superior photos IMO, also has more options.. You could always try a 3rd party camera app of course, so again its personal preference

getochkn

Dec 25, 2010
Everyone has their own preferences. Personally I am a TW guy. But there's plenty of folks on both sides. Great thing is you can try it and if you don't like it, just flash back to stock based.

Me too. I like the camera, color point is a neat feature that no other camera seems to offers, I find the launcher works well and flows nice. I keep trying other ROM's with 1534534534543 features that I don't really ever use or need and come back to the stock ROM. Running 4.4.2 from my carrier, rooted with towelroot, KT kernel for power tweaking, can uninstall all the bloat I want and I'm good.

It's a choice, but sometimes, there are too many choices. XXX Rom has all the best (our option of the best) features of A,B,C,D,E,F,G. Ya, well our rom YYY has all the best features of A,B,C,D,E,F,G and H. Ooooo. Does it really matter? lol. I like being able to update my Gapps when I want, not have to run a special version.

XDA did a test a while ago against the Linaro toolchain compiles vs gcc and found no real difference in speed of apps or battery life. XDA or some other Android site did a test of ART vs dalvik, not a huge difference, ART performing worse in some cases. Same with all the build.prop tweaks that others tout. In reality and in testing, most don't do anything, or worse in some cases.

There is too many, I guess rumors out there about Android that everyone jumps on like "tweaks", "compile flags", "odex vs deodex" that keep going around, and don't seem to change anything other than offer bugs. Hard to find a custom ROM that isn't updated all the time to fix this issues or reports of random reboots, etc, all the time in the threads.

To each their own, but in reality, I don't think there is much difference between all the different ROM's. All small, small, variations on a theme. And half the difference or added in things, not many people use anyways.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.