Dosbox Turbo - Xplay update

Search This thread

gene_wildhart

Mar 24, 2012
Is there any way to get the locked "Hard Keyboard Mappings" or "DPad & Xperia Play" options enabled?
I´m asking because I have a bluetooth keyboard and a ps3 controller for playing with my SGS2. The analog stick works but I´d like to use the arrow keys on the controller but can´t figure out how to use them -.-

And I use as I said a keyboard for input which makes it a lot easier.

On startup, DB Turbo detects if you have a keyboard/dpad present, if there is none, those options are ghosted out. Have you tried starting DB Turbo with your BT Keyboard already connected? If so, then there might be something wrong with the detection routines, and I'll have to fix it in the next release.

rubbergnome

Oct 23, 2011
Im waiting for touchpad support to play something like arena or ultima underworld :D i can't install UW2, though.

TheVicious

May 31, 2010
Im trying to find good settings for my games. I have Settlers 2 Gold, Lotus 3,Master Of Orion and Elite 2 Frontier. Frontier 2 First Encounter still doesn't work... But other games works - some goog some avarange. Settlers 2 works ok but scrolling map is little bit difficult, Lotus in menu works in 25% speed but race works great. Frontier 2 works great but to many buttons is needed :).
Im still love this emulator and i must try UFO 2 and Colonization - best strategy games ever.

Wysyłane z mojego R800i za pomocą Tapatalk 2

rubbergnome

Oct 23, 2011
Do you know any first person dungeon crawlers (like eye of the beholder and stuff), but you actually control just one character? Besides ultima underworld, i mean :p

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
Im trying to find good settings for my games. I have Settlers 2 Gold

Try "Serfcity" that is "Settlers 1" I remember that game has gamepad support. Which may make this game easier. Dont remember if Settlers 2 had that support tho. Only reason I remember about serfcity was because I did local MP play on this. Split screen. One side was mouse player, other side used gamepad.

opdrago

Nov 13, 2009
how can i use the "o" gamepad key
its relate to the "back" key.
when i remap the key "o" to a letter and mark the map back button to "none" the dosbox turbo thinks i want
out from the app.

any solution?

Last edited:

maddog00

Jul 20, 2010
Do you know any first person dungeon crawlers (like eye of the beholder and stuff), but you actually control just one character? Besides ultima underworld, i mean :p

Dungeon Hack. One character in EOB type play, random dungeons every time you play it. No story line. Just exploration, hacking, and treasure hunting.

hairdewx

Feb 28, 2009
Does Dosbox Turbo support mounting a cue/bin file?

I tried to imgmount a .cue file, but it says it cannot read the .bin file. I made the .bin file with magiciso.

gene_wildhart

Mar 24, 2012
Does Dosbox Turbo support mounting a cue/bin file?

I tried to imgmount a .cue file, but it says it cannot read the .bin file. I made the .bin file with magiciso.
Yes, cue/bin and iso mounting are supported as in the desktop DosBox.

I'm not sure why your cue/bin file didn't mount. I haven't had any problems mounting iso or cue/bin. You could take a look at the .cue file and check to see if the filename pointing to the bin file is correct.

You might try creating an .iso file instead if you don't have any mixed mode CD with music tracks, its a little bit easier to handle the mounting in DosBox with an iso. Otherwise, substitute the MyImage.iso below for MyImage.cue and make sure the bin file is located in the same directory.
Code:
IMGMOUNT E /sdcard/MyImage.iso -t iso
would mount your MyImage.iso located on your sdcard as the E drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: hairdewx

hairdewx

Feb 28, 2009
Yes, cue/bin and iso mounting are supported as in the desktop DosBox.

I'm not sure why your cue/bin file didn't mount. I haven't had any problems mounting iso or cue/bin. You could take a look at the .cue file and check to see if the filename pointing to the bin file is correct.

You might try creating an .iso file instead if you don't have any mixed mode CD with music tracks, its a little bit easier to handle the mounting in DosBox with an iso. Otherwise, substitute the MyImage.iso below for MyImage.cue and make sure the bin file is located in the same directory.
Code:
IMGMOUNT E /sdcard/MyImage.iso -t iso
would mount your MyImage.iso located on your sdcard as the E drive.

It's a mixed mode CD, so iso won't work for me. (Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries)

I used the command:

IMGMOUNT D /Removable/SD/CD/MW2M.cue -t iso -fs iso

Here is my cue file:

Code:
FILE "MW2M.BIN" BINARY
REM SESSION 01
   TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
      INDEX 01 00:00:00
   TRACK 02 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 26:21:11
   TRACK 03 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 28:25:57
   TRACK 04 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 30:29:33
   TRACK 05 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 32:33:02
   TRACK 06 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 34:43:22
   TRACK 07 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 36:53:06
   TRACK 08 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 39:03:23
   TRACK 09 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 41:04:38
   TRACK 10 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 43:08:08
   TRACK 11 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 45:19:70
   TRACK 12 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 47:23:51
   TRACK 13 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 49:27:29
   TRACK 14 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 51:31:41
   TRACK 15 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 53:41:42
   TRACK 16 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 55:49:37
   TRACK 17 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 57:52:14
   TRACK 18 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 59:54:56
   TRACK 19 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 61:52:05
   TRACK 20 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 63:58:14
   TRACK 21 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 68:15:00
   TRACK 22 AUDIO
      INDEX 01 68:21:66

My bin image is in the same directory. I'll try to see if magiciso formats it in a way that just isn't compatible. I can use my generated bin files with fpse, but not dosbox turbo just yet.

hairdewx

Feb 28, 2009
FYI I figured out my issue.

The bin files that MagicISO creates is not compatible with Dosbox. I had to use another program imgburn to create my bin/cue files.

Now the next issue is that Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries crashes when I turn on textures...

Mysticales

Oct 30, 2007
www.darkmystics.com
Stupid question. Hows dosbox been doing as far as serial modems? (Null modems)

Makes me wonder.. if that was up, we could emulate over our phones connection a way to multiplayer these games. (Think about Populous vs someone!)

gene_wildhart

Mar 24, 2012
Stupid question. Hows dosbox been doing as far as serial modems? (Null modems)

Makes me wonder.. if that was up, we could emulate over our phones connection a way to multiplayer these games. (Think about Populous vs someone!)

Unfortunately, serial emulation doesn't seem to work on Android. I think all the Android DosBox ports are lacking that feature, as well as missing MIDI emulation due to the OS not supporting midi. :(

---------- Post added at 05:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 AM ----------

Now the next issue is that Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries crashes when I turn on textures...
Can you let me know what settings you were using? (ie. Memory / cycles). I'll try it out tonight.

hairdewx

Feb 28, 2009
Can you let me know what settings you were using? (ie. Memory / cycles). I'll try it out tonight.

At one point I had it up to 64 MB RAM and 15000 cycles.

At 15000 cycles the game runs fast, but the sound is garbled and slow.

I tried the same cycle settings on AnDoxBox (15000) and the game ran fast with the sound working much better.

In both DosBox Turbo and AnDosBox turning on textures caused the same crashing error... I assumed the game was trying to use some Windows specific 3D calls that was causing it to crash...

I'm using the MS-Dos/WIN95 version of Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. It does say 3D enhanced or accelerated (can't remember which) on the CD label...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Everybody,

I'm the author of DosBox Turbo. One of the members here kindly pointed out this thread to me today and suggested I drop by.

Wanted to let you know that I'm sorry for leaving out the "Enter" and "Space" mappings, it just slipped my mind! :eek: But, the good news is, I'm finishing up a quick bugfix release (v1.2.1) and some of the new Xperia Play specific features I already have completed include:

• Ability to map Enter & Space to an Xperia Button
    • Ability to see what current button mappings are w/o having to select each one.

Once I'm finished testing this release, I'll push it out to the Android Market (sometime on Mon or Tue).

I'd be very interested to hear your feedback/suggestions for new features, as I do not have an Xperia Play, so I'm just coding this stuff up without really having a chance to test it. Some of the new features I have planned for the very near future include being able to use the Analog touchpad on the Xperia Play as a true analog joystick, as well as supporting saving button/configuration profiles.

Cheers,
    Gene
    Dosbox Turbo was just updated to allow Xperia Play button mapping / screenshot of the new mapping page attached
    Has anyone tried to run this great app with games in iso files?

I have "Novastorm", a cool dos game, but it's on iso.

I manage to run it on Windows with D-Fend, but i'm with difficulties on android.

Takes in advance.

Sure, ISO images can be mounted in DosBox.
    An example of mounting an ISO image in DosBox Turbo would be:
    Code:
    imgmount d "/sdcard/MyISO.iso" -t iso
    Which would mount the iso image as a new drive letter d:

Click on the link above for additional information (ie. bin/cue images, etc).

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Hey Guys,

can anyone explain me how to run Dungeon Keeper on DosBox Turbo?

I´m getting stuck on the Screen with the CD and the question mark :/

I have the version from gog.com and on my PC it´s all fine, but i have no idea how to run it on my SGSII

Wish I could help you here, but I've no idea how GOG packages their games. I can tell you this, on the non-GOG version of Dungeon Keeper, you need to have both the installation directory and the final game directory on your Android phone. I generally like to perform the install on Android instead of the PC, as just copying over the final installed directory from the PC is not enough and results in the CD question mark screen.

My suggestion would be to try to perform the install within DosBox Turbo and see if that resolves the problem.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Hi. Brilliant app... I just have one small issue :(

On the Galaxy S III I'm running UFO : Enemy Unknown with absolute mouse positioning and the mouse cursor doesn't *quite* reach the top or bottom of the screen (in landscape mode), which means you can't scroll up or down in the tactical missions. So frustrating because it's so close to being perfect! I've been waiting for the chance to play UFO on a phone for a LONG time :D

I've been using relative mouse mode as a workaround of course but it works much better in absolute mode :)

I know it's an experimental feature but would there be any chance you could take a look?

For technical reasons, when reaching the edge of the screen (top or bottom edge) with your finger and due to the way the touchscreen works, you may (or may not) get that final edge pixel coordinate before your finger moves off the touchscreen. The way to solve this is to use the "Screen Scaling Factor" at set it to something like 95%. You'll want to create just a little 'buffer zone' around the screen where your finger can move and still register. Make sure you tell DosBox Turbo to keep the screen centered as well. Hope this helps!
    I just released an update to DB Turbo (v1.3.4) with the following features:
    • NUMPAD now mappable to Xperia Play buttons
    • Improvements to Absolute Mouse tracking
    • Can now hold right click (ie. double-tap and hold + drag)
    • Editing of dosbox.conf in manual mode via system-wide editor.
    • Some optimizations resulting in small speed increase (hey every bit helps!! ;) )

The optional DosBox Manager got an update as well, so you can now add your own custom Dos covers. Here's a screenshot:
    device20120417134340.png
    Gene.. Question, Can one do a Ctrl+Alt+Del? Also later down the road, a "windows" key could be good.

Been fiddling with this booting of Windows 95 lol. Another thing that could be nice is a "reset dosbox" option in menu vs "exit" and reloading.

As far as I'm aware, DosBox proper doesn't support a reset function or CTRL-ALT-DEL (correct me if I'm wrong). I did a bit of research on this, and it seems to be somewhat difficult to implement (reference this thread over in the DosBox forums) for various reasons. On Android, it would be possible to kill the app and restart it via a button, but it wouldn't be much different than hitting exit and starting over. I'll look into a way of cleanly implementing such a feature in a future version if you guys feel it would be beneficial.

By the way, there is a thread over on the ASUS transformer forums with some people having success running Windows 95/98. I also recorded a video of an old version of DosBox Turbo running Windows 95. I apologize in advance for the poor video quality and lack of sound (I was using an old camera phone to record it).

Edit: I forgot to answer your Q. about the windows key. I'll add the windows key for you extreme users running Windows. =)