FreedomPop? Offical Photon Q LTE support? When? Getting a Q on FP now?

Search This thread

tt c6

Nov 21, 2009
Starting to do my research on taking my Photon Q LTE from Sprint over to FreedomPop.

Has anyone done this yet?
How did you do it and what is your opinion of the entire experience?

Is it Officially Supported by Freedom pop? If not, when?
If not supported, how to get a Photon Q LTE on FreedomPop now?

If you have any experience with FreedomPop service, please give the geographic service area you've tried and your impression of the FreedomPop service.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Loader009

Jul 6, 2012
No LTE for all "SIM-cards" except the buit-in one.
There is afaik no chance to get LTE working with another carrier than the original one (sprint).

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
No LTE for all "SIM-cards" except the buit-in one.
There is afaik no chance to get LTE working with another carrier than the original one (sprint).

But FreedomPop is a Sprint MVNO...

I'm not saying this will guarantee it'll work, but I'd say there's a much better chance it will.

I'm kind of curious, but not sure I'm ready to switch my phone to FreedomPop. Maybe I'll try it out on my roomie's phone first...

Loader009

Jul 6, 2012
Then it have to work without hardware modding, right?

If I'm wrong and it works with a hardwaremod, then other carrier with the same LTE frequency should also work.
I'm kind of confused, how LTE is working in our Q.

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
Then it have to work without hardware modding, right?

If I'm wrong and it works with a hardwaremod, then other carrier with the same LTE frequency should also work.
I'm kind of confused, how LTE is working in our Q.

What we mean by Sprint MVNO is they basically resell Sprint service. So you aren't paying Sprint directly, but you are using their towers/network. The MVNO leases the network space from Sprint... Pretty much all the big providers lease space on their network to gain another revenue stream.

Loader009

Jul 6, 2012
Yes, I know what a MVNO is.
But in my country you need for each MVNO an own SIM-card.

I assumed that something similiar is done in the US.
If you can change to another Sprint reseller without the need of change something in hardware, then it might work.
I'm probably unaware of the typical US mobiles and the carriers technology.

BAMF

Jan 22, 2008
Jacksonville, FL

If you can change to another Sprint reseller without the need of change something in hardware, then it might work.

Typically MVNOs that operate on GSM networks have their own SIM cards, however CDMA carriers (such as those running on Sprint) identify the phone by its internal ESN. Since there is no SIM to swap, the ESN has to be reassigned from Sprint to their MVNO.

And FYI, the Q works beautifully on Ting as well, LTE and all.

Reactions: Loader009

Loader009

Jul 6, 2012
Typically MVNOs that operate on GSM networks have their own SIM cards, however CDMA carriers (such as those running on Sprint) identify the phone by its internal ESN. Since there is no SIM to swap, the ESN has to be reassigned from Sprint to their MVNO.

Nice, thanks for the explanation.

Now, is Ting a GSM or CDMA carrier/MVNO?
I assume it's a CDMA MVNO, which works inside the sprint network and is (because of sprint) able to operate in the LTE network.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.