[APP][4.0+] Meet Narrate, a Material design journal/notebook with a ton of features

Search This thread

ohhcrapitstim

Dec 24, 2010
play.google.com
@ohcrapitstim

Hello Sir,

Looking to further development I gave recently purchased the paid version.

Looking to get some backing up going on and hopefully some cross device support.

I have a personal phone and a personal device that I use for work.

Was hoping to be able to keep and sync notes between the two via Google drive.

Upon initial inspection this seems to not work out of the box.

What would I need to enable this type of functionality?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Mystique. Thanks for downloading and using Narrate! I believe this is because of the way Google Drive is integrated into Android. When I "sync" Narrate data with Google Drive, it is syncing with the local copy of your Drive on your phone. Your local Google Drive copy is regularly updated with the cloud copy. For the more technically savvy folk, see https://developers.google.com/drive/android/files. I believe there is a way I can force an update or something, so I will look into doing this for the next release! Until then, I apologize that this isn't working :/

Reactions: bpaulien

Punkiderma

Oct 15, 2010
Turin
Hi, after some use, I have some other "proofs" that the missing text bug is due to sync, like you said: in fact, if I write inside a place where the signal (so the possibility to sync) is bad, every time I save a note I lose the last part of the text, like instead of saving the updatet version it brings back the old one.

Even if I bought this, I think I'll move to another app until the next update, because I have always the fear to lose some important passages of my notes...

ohhcrapitstim

Dec 24, 2010
play.google.com
Hi, after some use, I have some other "proofs" that the missing text bug is due to sync, like you said: in fact, if I write inside a place where the signal (so the possibility to sync) is bad, every time I save a note I lose the last part of the text, like instead of saving the updatet version it brings back the old one.

Even if I bought this, I think I'll move to another app until the next update, because I have always the fear to lose some important passages of my notes...

Hi Punkiderma. I apologize for the issues you have experiencing and the way you feel. I will do my best to fix this as soon as possible. I'm not sure why it is happening, but I don't like the idea of losing data either. I will do my best to fix it as soon as possible.

Reactions: Punkiderma

sanzoghenzo

Aug 31, 2011
Trento
Hi Tim, you (and Brett Terpstra) convinced me to buy a copy of day one for my Mac! Just synced the two apps via dropbox, everything looks nice! The only minor problem is the day one default folder in dropbox is not in "apps" but in "Applicazioni" (yes, Italian speaker here!) and it's called Journal.dayone with the capital J, so I had to set it manually.
Keep up the good work!

ohhcrapitstim

Dec 24, 2010
play.google.com
Hi Tim, you (and Brett Terpstra) convinced me to buy a copy of day one for my Mac! Just synced the two apps via dropbox, everything looks nice! The only minor problem is the day one default folder in dropbox is not in "apps" but in "Applicazioni" (yes, Italian speaker here!) and it's called Journal.dayone with the capital J, so I had to set it manually.
Keep up the good work!

I'm glad to hear that!! I love the Day One app. And that is why I included support for custom folder locations :)

ohhcrapitstim

Dec 24, 2010
play.google.com
I have officially released version 1.4.1 of Narrate which includes many new features and bug fixes, including the ability to add photos as well as the viewing your entries on a map in the places section. I also introduced the ability for Narrate Pro users to get early access to beta versions (Sign up here: http://goo.gl/forms/Xzd5Mf7aSc). Look out for some exciting new updates soon!

Last edited:

Punkiderma

Oct 15, 2010
Turin
I have officially released version 1.4.1 of Narrate which includes many new features and bug fixes, including the ability to add photos as well as the viewing your entries on a map in the places section. I also introduced the ability for Narrate Pro users to get early access to beta versions (Sign up here: http://goo.gl/forms/Xzd5Mf7aSc"]http://goo.gl/forms/Xzd5Mf7aSc). Look out for some exciting new updates soon!
Signed up with phone, but from phone I couldn't enter the g+ community. Now I can't reach the page from my PC because it says "form already filled "

ohhcrapitstim

Dec 24, 2010
play.google.com
I get page not found...

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

I fixed the link!

Good app. I would like the chance to use colors like in keep. Anyways good app

Thanks for your feedback, I will keep it in mind!

Signed up with phone, but from phone I couldn't enter the g+ community. Now I can't reach the page from my PC because it says "form already filled "

Everyone who fills out the form and is a Narrate Pro user will get invited to join the G+ community anyways so don't worry about it!

Wacko

Jun 27, 2006
Hello, its a really nice app in my opinion. I just have 2 questions.
Is there a way to add more than just one picture? And are you planning to add an option for the time setting, so that it is not 11:11 pm but 23:11?

Zeyn Karim

Feb 19, 2009
Johannesburg
Reminder Notification Icon.

Hey first off i'd like to say thanks for the amazing app! the only issue im having is with the reminder notification icon, it seems to be broken? just a white square, because of that i stopped using the reminder feature entirely, i've cleared app data and updated the app and still not working, anyone know a fix for this?

sanzoghenzo

Aug 31, 2011
Trento
Hi Timothy, I think I found some bugs (or is it just me?) Using Narrate Pro 1.4.1

1. The daily reminder I set stops working after a while, I think it's when I dismiss the reminder instead of tapping it to write a new entry but it's just a guess
  2. When I try to re-enable the daily reminder (it's still there) it complains about giving it a date in the past. Since it's a daily reminder, it should ignore the date (well, if it's in the future it could be a nice feature...)
  3. The dropbox sync folder shows up as all lowercase, even if I entered it with some uppercase chars. Sync works ok though.
  4. I use Day One, and started using sifttter-redux to automatically log my activities (If you don't know it you have to check it out :) ), but entries created with sifttter doesn't show up on Narrate. I've attached some of my files if you want to investigate the thing.

And last but not least a (feature) request: can you please tell me if I can get to the new entry view via tasker (using an intent)? my goal is to be able to start adding an entry based on an event instead of a fixed time as reminder do.

Thanks for your attention,
keep up the good work!

Attachments

• sifttterfiles.zip
    8.8 KB · Views: 10

ohhcrapitstim

Dec 24, 2010
play.google.com
Hello, its a really nice app in my opinion. I just have 2 questions.
Is there a way to add more than just one picture? And are you planning to add an option for the time setting, so that it is not 11:11 pm but 23:11?

Thanks for your feedback! I am planning on adding the ability to add more than one picture eventually! And 24-hour time format is included in the latest update!

Hey first off i'd like to say thanks for the amazing app! the only issue im having is with the reminder notification icon, it seems to be broken? just a white square, because of that i stopped using the reminder feature entirely, i've cleared app data and updated the app and still not working, anyone know a fix for this?

Thanks for your feedback! I am aware of the reminder notification icon. I am not sure what is causing is, but I am going to fix it soon because that bugs me as well. It doesn't make sense coming from a design-oriented application ;)

Hi Timothy, I think I found some bugs (or is it just me?) Using Narrate Pro 1.4.1

1. The daily reminder I set stops working after a while, I think it's when I dismiss the reminder instead of tapping it to write a new entry but it's just a guess
  2. When I try to re-enable the daily reminder (it's still there) it complains about giving it a date in the past. Since it's a daily reminder, it should ignore the date (well, if it's in the future it could be a nice feature...)
  3. The dropbox sync folder shows up as all lowercase, even if I entered it with some uppercase chars. Sync works ok though.
  4. I use Day One, and started using sifttter-redux to automatically log my activities (If you don't know it you have to check it out :) ), but entries created with sifttter doesn't show up on Narrate. I've attached some of my files if you want to investigate the thing.

And last but not least a (feature) request: can you please tell me if I can get to the new entry view via tasker (using an intent)? my goal is to be able to start adding an entry based on an event instead of a fixed time as reminder do.

Thanks for your attention,
keep up the good work!

Thanks for your feedback! Version 1.5 fixed some issues with reminders. The case of the folder you choose shouldn't matter, but if it does, please let me know! I will have to look into the sifttter-redux thing and get back to you on it! Also, tasker integration has been on my radar since the beginning :) It will be integrated eventually.

ohhcrapitstim

Dec 24, 2010
play.google.com
Narrate 2.0 has officially been released!!

Here is a change list:
+ Complete Material design overhaul
+ Add expanded filtering and sorting capabilities
+ Add ability to share entries with other applications
+ Add ability to share text/images with Narrate
+ Tasker integration (documentation coming soon)
+ Add a quick entry widget
+ Many, many bug fixes :)

You can now refer 3 friends to download Narrate in exchange for Narrate Pro!

Tasker integration is here as well. Documentation will be available at http://narrateapp.com/tasker.html.

Reactions: shall9505

shall9505

Nov 30, 2013
I have a location issue, when I create an entry while in my living room, the location entry says local u-haul retailer. There is a u-haul place about 500 yards away. If the place location can't be correct, a coordinates option would be better than what's happening now. I'm sure the place name "feature" is a Google issue, since the same sort of thing happens with embedded photo locations.

qusak808

May 28, 2014
I love this app, I love the interface. It would be nice if it was possible to add more pics to one note, maybe at the end of the note or something

qusak808

May 28, 2014
I also have problem with location, cause if I change it in one of the entries it also change in some other.

peestandingup

Nov 10, 2009
Soo...is this app still being developed or what? No word at all from the creator here for months, no responses on the Play Store to people's questions there, etc. I myself even emailed the company for a quick question & never got a response.

Reactions: Punkiderma

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Narrate is a new journal/notebook for Android with Material design.

Some key features include:
    • Full markdown support
    • Dropbox syncing
    • Sync with Day One (uses Dropbox)
    • Google Drive syncing
    • Google Now 'Note to Self' Integration
    • Add photos to entries
    • Statistics (# of days, # of notes/entries, # of locations)
    • Reminders

Narrate Pro is the premium version of Narrate. Accessible via an in-app purchase, Narrate Pro currently has the following features as well as many more in the works:
    • Sync with Dropbox
    • Sync with Google Drive
    • Sync with Day One (uses Dropbox Sync)
    • Add multiple reminders
    • Early Access to Beta Versions (Sign up here: http://goo.gl/forms/Xzd5Mf7aSc)

Narrate is available for free on the Play Store with an in-app purchase to access more features.

Enjoy :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.datonicgroup.narrate.app

UPDATE (9/1/2014):
    Narrate has been updated with some new designs :) http://imgur.com/a/zShEs

UPDATE 1.2.2 (9/4/2014):
    + Added auto-saving & other improvements to creating/editing a note
    + Updated translations
    + Bug fixes

UPDATE 1.2.7 (9/28/2014):
    + Add reminders section
    + Redesign locations experience
    + Redesign tags experience
    + Redesign navigation drawer
    + Add developer options
    + Add swipe to sync on entries list
    + Add new translations
    + Other bug fixes

UPDATE 1.4.1 (11/28/2014):
    + You can now add photos to entries!
    + You can now view your entries on a map in the Places section!
    + Update screen for viewing an entry
    + Many other bug fixes and improvements
    + Narrate Pro users now have early access to Beta Versions (Sign up here: http://goo.gl/forms/Xzd5Mf7aSc)

Hi,
    have you ever thought about a Desktop or Webclient?
    When I'm @ home working on my PC, I do not want to pick up my phone all the time when I want to write something down.

No not yet. If you look into Day One, there is a desktop client for the Mac that will sync with Narrate.

First of all i like the program, it's simple and nice and quite useful.

Here are a few suggestions for future versions, you can ignore them if you don't like them (or if they are too hard to implement) :

- in the calendar view show multiple dots if there are multiple entries, for example show 1 dot for 1 entry, 2 for 2, 3 for 3 and a long bar or something for 4 or more entries

- build a list of tags, for example if i already entered "play" once, i should be able to select it from a list in another entry.

- ability to show all entries with a given tag (show a "taglist" entry in the menu shown when you sweep from the left)

- also, ability to add an image to an entry would be nice (for example i'd like to make a photo of something and tag it, or even draw something on the phone and add it as an entry with tags and ability to add some more text)

- possibility to add location manually would be nice, i have multiple entries that i'd like to add location, but i cannot go back where i was.

- possibility to add "approximate position", for example i'm only interested in the town i'm in, not the exact GPS location. for now narrate only saves your location if it can get an exact GPS location, maybe a button that gives the approximate location and one that gets the exact GPS location would be a solution

- the tag editor should save the text in the entry box (if it's not empty) as a new tag, here's why :
    since i usually only add one tag to narate i keep forgetting to press enter and the tag is lost, here are the steps :
    1. open narate
    2. add a new entry
    3. press on tags (it doesn't matter if you already have tags or not)
    4. press on "add tag..." editbox to add a new tag, for example "test"
    5. if you press the "Done" button the last tag (still being edited) is lost
    P.S. if you press "enter" on the keyboard then the tag is added.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely work on implementing them as I am always trying to improve Narrate :)

Oh, that's interesting. (number 5) i had filled a bug report because my tags aren't saving. I'll have to check to confirm that hitting enter instead of DONE will save them.

Thanks for the tip.

I am going to be redoing the tags dialog for a better user experience :)

You have been featured again, http://www.xda-developers.com/?p=99493

My Tapatalk Signature:

>---> Senior Support Member <---<
    I provide support for you in the following threads:
    For help with choosing a new phone or tablet or getting advice, "What's your next smartphone / What should I buy", "Consolidated Device Comparison/ Q&A/ Discussion Thread!!" and "Not sure what device to buy? Ask here! .

When you enter a thread mentioned above and you want my help, than you should quote or mention me :)

It seems I have been ;)
    Would Support images in future?

I am working on adding support for multimedia attachments! Lots of big updates coming soon :)

Coming Soon:
    • Calendar (View entries for a certain date)
    • Places (View the locations of your entries/notes on a map)
    • Expanded Sync Services
    • Multimedia Support (Attach photos, videos, files, etc)

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

i like it! but i think that the blue you used is a little dull, i think you should use a more bright color to match material design ui...( i always associate material design with colorful word, i don't know if it's correct, correct me if i'm wrong ;) )

i'm looking forward to see the calendar!

very nice! gonna upgrade to pro tomorrow! :highfive:

I noticed the dark blue with some devices (for example, a SGS3) so I will definitely revisit that issue because I tend to agree with you!

Glad to hear you are enjoying Narrate and are upgrading to Narrate Pro! I have a lot of features planned out for everything :) Anything in particular you would like to see in the calendar?

Please make the font bigger! Also reminder did not work for me. Also make it sync with google account so that entries can appear on google calendar.

I will definitely look into the font issue! I do not have reminders implemented currently, not sure what you mean by that? And yeah I will definitely work on integrating it with Google calendar :)

Can you make a tablet version with a bigger UI?
    It looks really tiny on my tablets.

Tablet version is on my to do list :)
    Narrate has been updated with some new designs :) http://imgur.com/a/zShEs

The next big features to be implemented are:
    - Google Drive syncing for Pro users
    - Places section
    - Other little things (auto-savings, improve location, improve tags dialog, etc.)

Does anyone have other requests or issues?