[GAME] Volcanic Ascent Beta - A new addictive climbing game!

Search This thread

Smills29

Feb 15, 2011
I have recently finished the beta of my game 'Volcanic Ascent'. The whole game was programmed completely by one person (me). It is not 100% complete yet, but it is relatively bug free, and quite functional. Could you please test it? Feel free to be as blunt as you want. If you think it is the worst application you have ever downloaded, then tell me, but please tell me why. Likewise if you think it is great.

I am trying to get as much feedback as I can to fix any raised issues before I can confidently call it a full release (I don't think it is quite mature/polished enough yet). I have been working pretty solidly on it for the past few weeks (50-70 hours a week) as I go back to uni soon. I need to get it as polished as I can before uni starts sapping my time.

Any input is welcome. Have fun!

Search "Volcanic Ascent Beta" on the market (I can't post links just yet).

UPDATED:
NEW FEATURES:
* ADDED TILT CONTROLS!
* Highest milestone (like an achievement) is now displayed in the score screen.
* Added another visual representation of shield (bar up top).
Changes:
* Further improved the help/about menu
* Slowed down climbing and ghost mode, and darkened background to reduce eye strain.
* Altered graphics slightly (new black hole sprite).
* Tweaked difficulty.

Old Screenshots:
ss-0-320-480-160-0-64fa1de32f14558835f52983f9d3fd24a4312e01
ss-1-320-480-160-0-58dc3dd7fa2cf04c2bd158a7d7cdc9265c661a6a

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortakai

8ESP

Aug 11, 2010
Pretty entertaining, even if your dogs are apparently better than me.

Gave me a headache pretty quickly though. The background is a bit too much. Maybe make it a bit darker?

Smills29

Feb 15, 2011
Interestingly it was much lighter and faster moving to start with. I found that to be a bit much and slowed the game down and darkened the background. I might make it slightly darker again in the next build then. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:

webmastir

Oct 28, 2009
basic but pretty fun i suppose. got avg around 45-50k points

are you going to be charging for this?
(not that i care, just curious)

Smills29

Feb 15, 2011
I am not 100% sure what I am going to do yet, my current plan is to release a free ad-supported version and a paid version with a couple of extra features and no ads. What would you do if you were in my position out of interest?

skymera

Mar 28, 2010
Used to be another game I used to play similar to this years ago.

Well I died with a score of 467 :( seems you can't control with tilt xD

But yeah, the background is nice, but you move so quick it can give you a headache.

I liek it!

EDIT: My bad, seems I got a ghost powerup which made the game steroid-infected.
Playing again now

Smills29

Feb 15, 2011
Hahaha. Nope, I haven't added tilt control as of yet. What the hell, I will give it a go tomorrow (it is past 6am for me here, and I still haven't gone to bed :p. Too much programming...).

The main reason I haven't added it is because I am a bit worried about how tilt tends to have a slight delay before moving. I wasn't sure how effective it would be as a control mechanism when compared to touch considering my game needs a lot of quick reactions. I guess we will find out! And yes, the ghost powerup may be a little on the fast side xD.

black spirit

Nov 12, 2010
Not bad, additcing. Dont know what it is, but the way the screen moves, really hurt my eyes and head after 20 secs, lol

emcnelly

Feb 11, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
Great Game

Works well on my captivate and is very addicting. I felt that the speed is ok but needs to be slightly slower and the ghost mode is way to fast haha other than that awesome game keep up the good work!

MrFrem82

Sep 15, 2010
Bologna
It doesn't seems to be available on market for my phone. I've a Samsung Gt-I5500 (galaxy 5).
Here some full info for this device...

Smills29

Feb 15, 2011
Ah, my game currently does not have support for 240x320 resolution screens. I loaded up an emulator at that resulution and it is indeed extremely difficult to control. Additionally there are a few graphical glitches caused by the low res. I will have a look at adding support for that resolution when I add tilt controls.

Smills29

Feb 15, 2011
Not bad, additcing. Dont know what it is, but the way the screen moves, really hurt my eyes and head after 20 secs, lol

Works well on my captivate and is very addicting. I felt that the speed is ok but needs to be slightly slower and the ghost mode is way to fast haha other than that awesome game keep up the good work!

I will slightly bump the speed down for the next version then, and also slightly darken the background. The speed is something I am trying to get just right. Too slow and it makes it far less action-packed, but too fast and it gives you a headache. I might slightly increase the speed of dangerous objects to keep it somewhat balanced. I will bump the ghost mode's speed down a bit too.

I am also going to add more information to the help/about as I have had a couple of people complain about a lack of info. I will look at tilt controls, and I am going to add a simple achievements system based off of the height milestones (you achieve a new milestone every 5000 score as you climb). I will also start looking at ways to implement a new powerup (time-stop).

Last edited:

kushXmaster

Nov 26, 2010
Stockton (cali)
Pretty fun. I have to agree it gets kinda hard to look at after a while. But I think it is just because everything moves so fast. Great work. I look forward to playing it some more later.

Smills29

Feb 15, 2011
Updated, slowed the game down slightly (about 10%, I am hoping a small change will help a lot). Also added tilt input! I have spent about a day trying to make it work well for this particular style of game. I think I did pretty well with my implementation of tilt, but I would love some input!

Touch the screen to use touch controls, otherwise the tilt controls will be active. As before, double-tap anywhere on the screen to jump to that spot.

Changelog:
NEW FEATURES:
* ADDED TILT CONTROLS!
Changes:
* Slowed down climbing and ghost mode, and darkened background to reduce eye strain.
* Tweaked difficulty.

Reactions: webmastir

Smills29

Feb 15, 2011
Yeaahhhhhh tilt controls.

Updating now!

sweet. good sounding updates. going to check it out now, thx :)

Have you guys checked it out? What did you think?

Also, please note that the next version will likely be the full final release version (unless there are unforseen issues), and I will be spending the next week or so working on it. The tilt update was the 8th update I have done to the Beta.

skymera

Mar 28, 2010
Tilt controls work pretty.

No longer straining my eyes and the speed is just about right.

Though I'm still not very good at it :(

oh ho ho! just beat my high score

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have recently finished the beta of my game 'Volcanic Ascent'. The whole game was programmed completely by one person (me). It is not 100% complete yet, but it is relatively bug free, and quite functional. Could you please test it? Feel free to be as blunt as you want. If you think it is the worst application you have ever downloaded, then tell me, but please tell me why. Likewise if you think it is great.

I am trying to get as much feedback as I can to fix any raised issues before I can confidently call it a full release (I don't think it is quite mature/polished enough yet). I have been working pretty solidly on it for the past few weeks (50-70 hours a week) as I go back to uni soon. I need to get it as polished as I can before uni starts sapping my time.

Any input is welcome. Have fun!

Search "Volcanic Ascent Beta" on the market (I can't post links just yet).

UPDATED:
    NEW FEATURES:
    * ADDED TILT CONTROLS!
    Changes:
    * Tweaked difficulty.

Old Screenshots:
    ss-0-320-480-160-0-64fa1de32f14558835f52983f9d3fd24a4312e01
    ss-1-320-480-160-0-58dc3dd7fa2cf04c2bd158a7d7cdc9265c661a6a
    Updated, slowed the game down slightly (about 10%, I am hoping a small change will help a lot). Also added tilt input! I have spent about a day trying to make it work well for this particular style of game. I think I did pretty well with my implementation of tilt, but I would love some input!

Touch the screen to use touch controls, otherwise the tilt controls will be active. As before, double-tap anywhere on the screen to jump to that spot.

Changelog:
    NEW FEATURES:
    * ADDED TILT CONTROLS!
    Changes:
    * Tweaked difficulty.