Google Wallet will only be on Sprint Nexus at Launch?

Search This thread

Arcadia310

Aug 13, 2010
This totally defeats the notion that buying a Nexus will get you all the latest and greatest features first. I have a T-Mobile Nexus S and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes 5 months for it to get Google Wallet, despite the technology being exactly the same. Why does Google do this? I was so excited about using NFC too.

meetagrawal

Dec 13, 2008
1. NFC is a drain on the battery, so I won't be using it anytime soon.

2. I'm not really sure why Sprint Nexus S gets it first. Why does Google do stuff like this? Both of the models are NFC enabled. There shouldn't be any reason to limit it like that. I guess it's their MO.

Award Tour

Aug 2, 2010
Brooklyn
Sprint is a official partner. MasterCard and citi are other partners. That's why. If Google wallet gains traction you'll see it elsewhere.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

krohnjw

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 17, 2007
Plainfield
This totally defeats the notion that buying a Nexus will get you all the latest and greatest features first. I have a T-Mobile Nexus S and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes 5 months for it to get Google Wallet, despite the technology being exactly the same. Why does Google do this? I was so excited about using NFC too.

The GSM version of the Samsung Nexus S may receive access to the just-announced Google Wallet service, but Google will work with T-Mobile to bring the service to market for that phone, according to Google VP of Payments Osama Bedier. Mr. Bedier ruled out circumventing carriers like T-Mobile in bringing Google Wallet - and compatible phones - to market. The GSM Nexus S has the same NFC chip required for Google Wallet as the Nexus S 4G that the service is being trialled with today. Google expressed optimism that more carriers would support Google Wallet soon, and that many more phones would include the necessary NFC chip going forward.

from Google

Voice it to T-Mo if you want it to get done. It seems like Google does, they need to get T-Mobile on board though.

rant

Nov 7, 2004
T-Mobile is a member of ISIS, along with AT&T and Verizon, which is a competing mobile payment platform to Google Wallet. I would not be surprised if Google Wallet works on ALL Nexus S phones, they may just not be able to announce it on T-Mobile, either because of T-Mobile's involvement with ISIS, or because Sprint is a partner in Google Wallet. Either way, sounds more like marketing to me than a technology limit.

p00kienrayray

Dec 28, 2010
Long Beach, CA
im sure the tmo-Isis partnership has something to do with it. but i also bet that all nexus phones will get it eventually, but since sprint/google wallet is official, theyre not gonna announce anything else.

meetagrawal

Dec 13, 2008
Im not really sure what role the carrier plays in the actual transmission of the data. Also, the GSM version of Nexus S is not T-Mobile branded unlike the Sprint Nexus S.

mak213

Apr 12, 2007
Philadelphia, USA
No it's not. It made a 1% difference in my battery life after leaving my Nexus S running with full brightness, screen on and an app I wrote with a full wake lock for a few hours. 1% in 4 hours, that's not battery drain.

ya i dont know what that kid is talkin about but it litteraly comes automatically enabled when u buy ur phone lol but yes its like 1% battery

meetagrawal

Dec 13, 2008
I was losing at least 7-8% a day with it on. I already hate the battery life on Android devices in general, so I turned it off to get as much as I can.

denimjunkie82

Jan 14, 2010
San Diego
Does anyone have or use Google Wallet yet? Anyone know where to get the app, and how to register for it?

I've been lurking around the NS forums for a while and I'm surprised that no one is talking about this.

This function has tipped me over into buying an NS. I should be getting it in the mail this week (i9020a) and I can't wait until I can use this feature.