[Q] the best galaxy i9000 rom

Search This thread

drpilot

Jan 10, 2014
i tried cyanogenmod 10.2 but it has no fm radio i said ok . but it does not support network connections over edge , 3g. i want to know which rom is the most stable and fast and good looking and has no bugs or at least few known ones for my galaxy s i9000. and thanks.

downhere

Nov 5, 2010
Edge and 3G working well with CM 10.2. For FM radio you could try SpiritFM.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

juliatan

Nov 6, 2012
When I tried CM 10.0 & 10.1 (stables) the roms functioned oké, but terrible battery life with their own CM-kernel. That was fixed with both roms after changing the kernel to Semaphore which gave much more batterylife. (I never use FM, but with Semaphore manager among others FM can be switched on and radio worked on my SGS1 tested with Spirit FM).

However each time after trying new CM I tried latest stable Slim Bean (which has Semaphore-kernel included) and never looked back. For me Slim Bean blew CM totally out of the water concerning performance and batterylife. (Stability both good by the way). And very nice options in rom such as Real Dark Slim.

Now I am strongly concidering trying Mackay 4.4 (instead of SlimKat bèta). Not only because I want KitKat on my i9000. As it appears to function better with our low RAM. Especially the very alive community around it tickles my curiousity.

Anyone has experience with both Slim and Mackey? How does performance, stability and batterylife differ between them? And which of Mackey's function better? Omni- or CM-based?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

drpilot

Jan 10, 2014
i am using the nightly cyanogen mod 11 and it is stable and i haven't noticed any bugs or problems during the 2 days i have been testing it, except the fm radio which does not work on all unofficial roms :( Spirit FM seems to have problems any better rom or solution to the fm radio would be appreciated.

and is Mackay 4.4 better than cm 11. should i try it ?

Last edited:

ayed78

Sep 25, 2013
im using c-rom with cma kernel so far so good

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

juliatan

Nov 6, 2012
i am using the nightly cyanogen mod 11 and it is stable and i haven't noticed any bugs or problems during the 2 days i have been testing it, except the fm radio which does not work on all unofficial roms :( Spirit FM seems to have problems any better rom or solution to the fm radio would be appreciated.

and is Mackay 4.4 better than cm 11. should i try it ?

I don't know with KK (yet) if also working, but CM-JB with Semaphore kernel instead of CM-kernel and Semaphore Manager one can switch on FM Radio and use Spirit FM. Most likely there is a thread for KK.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Kobro

Nov 21, 2013
Even though best rom threads arent allowed on xda, ill post my reply: cm10.2.0- superfast, only slight lags while gaming, good battery life, no bugs that i can see.

d-generated

Apr 16, 2012
just moved from cm11 with semaphore to cm11&mackay kernel. best descision ever. great battery live (8h of no big use/79% battery left) and pretty fast too - depends on mackay settings. :victory:

krutoistudent

Jan 14, 2012
i am useing mackay rom 4.1.8 (from 04.01.14) and the phone is amazing, it was never as fast and good as now (android 4.2 and 4.3 were complet garbage for the sgs)

even though i will buy the xperia Z1 compact in a few weeks, i will keep the sgs for my workouts in the gym

wanakamura

Aug 10, 2010
My SGS has had almost all possible roms. After 3 years of changing roms. I've go back to almost Stock version of 2.3.6 XWJW8 with semaphore kernel 2.7.4. with smart launcher 2. It is fast enought.
And what is most important it works more than few days without update.
So i if you need stable phone I suggest to check this setup

Reactions: qiahmed66

Barbosanna

Dec 23, 2013
You can't just say what's the best rom because every rom it's different just like the users and how they use their phone.But if you wanna know some quick facts here we go:
Stock GB has the best battery because it lacks feature and with a good kernel it can be pretty fast.
Now talking about custom roms :
ICS, in my opinion has better battery than JB or KK. Free ram is pretty high,second place,first is KK.More features than GB not so many as JB or KK
JellyBean : not much of a big fan but i can say that 4.1.2 was by far the best from all the versions.The battery and resources consumption was fair and has more features than the precedents.
KitKat is my favourite.The battery consumption it's ok and it has more free ram than any other android versions and the features are just great.
As for kernel i'm a big fan of Stratosk's Semaphore kernel.No matter what rom i use the kernel is the same.
If you wanna try custom KitKat rom you can try these ones(these are the only ones that i have tested like 2 to 4 weaks each)
SlimKat - Very very smooth just like all their custom roms.Nice features like TRDS, SlimPie and others. Ram usage is good but the battery is draining a little fast for me but this is just my case and maybe others have different experience.
Mackay's Kitkat - This is also a very nice kitkat rom.it's smooth it has good features but just like the one above, i don't like the battery and after some time it became a little laggy.
C-Rom - This is the last one which i'm using right now.I love this one.Ram usage is good , i like the battery( i can get over 19 hours) ,it has great features.Never felt my i9000 so smooth.
My test where done with 3g/wifi on all the time,more than 3 hours screen time,music for 2-3 hours,facebook,whatsapp and others(daily).Some of the apps are greenified and some frozen.
Hope this helps you ! :D

Reactions: zaklav

qiahmed66

Mar 22, 2014
karachi
yepi !!!!

My SGS has had almost all possible roms. After 3 years of changing roms. I've go back to almost Stock version of 2.3.6 XWJW8 with semaphore kernel 2.7.4. with smart launcher 2. It is fast enought.
I too like xwjwb + semaphore 2.7.4, after trying many kitkat, this and that.........one more saurom v2 + ICS theme + transperent menu+ additional settings works best, fast smooth reliable with much more time on battery.(I try 2/3 roms on daily basis)

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

You can't just say what's the best rom because every rom it's different just like the users and how they use their phone.But if you wanna know some quick facts here we go:
Stock GB has the best battery because it lacks feature and with a good kernel it can be pretty fast.
ICS, in my opinion has better battery than JB or KK. Free ram is pretty high,second place,first is KK.More features than GB not so many as JB or KK
JellyBean : not much of a big fan but i can say that 4.1.2 was by far the best from all the versions.The battery and resources consumption was fair and has more features than the precedents.
KitKat is my favourite.The battery consumption it's ok and it has more free ram than any other android versions and the features are just great.
As for kernel i'm a big fan of Stratosk's Semaphore kernel.No matter what rom i use the kernel is the same.
If you wanna try custom KitKat rom you can try these ones(these are the only ones that i have tested like 2 to 4 weaks each)
SlimKat - Very very smooth just like all their custom roms.Nice features like TRDS, SlimPie and others. Ram usage is good but the battery is draining a little fast for me but this is just my case and maybe others have different experience.
Mackay's Kitkat - This is also a very nice kitkat rom.it's smooth it has good features but just like the one above, i don't like the battery and after some time it became a little laggy.
C-Rom - This is the last one which i'm using right now.I love this one.Ram usage is good , i like the battery( i can get over 19 hours) ,it has great features.Never felt my i9000 so smooth.
My test where done with 3g/wifi on all the time,more than 3 hours screen time,music for 2-3 hours,facebook,whatsapp and others(daily).Some of the apps are greenified and some frozen.

YES
C-rom kit kat is best in many manners.......I've tried S4 style MK 4.2.2 (now running on my i9000) find best in battery, speed, gaming, and it has beautiful appearance, previously I tried different versions of MIUI........ very captative but almost in chinese....... if someone know its complete version of english then please let me know.

juliatan

Nov 6, 2012

Sounds interesting to try C-Rom then. SlimKat 3.0 Official runs good and smooth here, but indeed battery life (not idle/sleep, but) when using is wildly guessing at least about 33 percent less than my favorite JB before Slim Bean 4.3.1 last stable/official. Music/podcasts for instance at least two hours less battery time. And in every KK thread you read about bad battery life.

On a site note. My 'modern' Nexus 7 2013 with stock Android also performed better on JB than KK. A clean flash of factory rom and factory reset didn't help. For example battery life (active with screen on time and/or playing music/podcast) JB 4.3.1 was 12-13 hours. KK 4.4 had 8-9 and now KK 4.4.2 does 10-11 hours. The contrary of media srories about KK being better optimized and lower on resources and Ram. And I read a lot simular experiences around the net.

So I was considering on SGS1 going back to JB, but first try Mackay's ICS 2014. Perhaps I'll give C-rom first a chance. And perhaps if it arrives meanwhile newest SlimKat stable. When still battery life not as good as JB before, definitely ICS 2014 or Slim Bean again.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 (2013) met Tapatalk

Last edited:

maestrongjake

Jan 1, 2009
dear masters, im looking for a custom rom that works with the voodoo sound app from playstore.

ics, jb or kk will do.

im currently running on cm10.2-20130826-nightly-galaxysmtd build (first sgs phone i have), it says on my voodoo app that it has a built in voodoo sound but i cant really hear the improvement (weak volume) over my other sgs with gb 2.3.5. + voodoo sound app from playstore (another sgs i bought from an online store).

some of the forum i visited says there is a tab for the wolfson dac on the dsp manager but i have non on my sgs running a custom rom.

i also tried installing a semaphore kernel but no luck, my sgs says that

no need to load module
built in kernel voodoo sound: v.0
"device or kernel not suppported.... "

any recommendations?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.