[Q] Root method for 1.4.3?

Search This thread

josepha24

Jan 28, 2012
I apologize if this has been answered already. I did read the 2 threads involving the 1.4.3 update, but did not get a clear answer.
Can I use the same method I used when I rooted NC running 1.4.2? (clockworkmod 3.2.0.1 and manualnooter 5.02.19)
I also installed the kernel. I have all this info on my PC, saved from my SD card. I misplaced my SD card and thankfully saved all the info on it. I have a new card and am ready to try this root. Can you also offer any info on blocking OTA updates? I tried that once before (2 updates ago) and it didn't work.
I hope I conveyed this clearly. I am ready to scream with the B & N update nightmare!! :eek:
Thanks for any help~

Reactions: dalex7777

linwiz

Nov 29, 2010
I am also trying to root my nook color, 1.4.3. it's not rooted.. it is stock, but it has been rooted in the past. the NC 1.4.3 will not boot CWM or TWRP bootable sd cards. looking for some advice.

Reactions: dalex7777

linwiz

Nov 29, 2010
I understand being previously rooted but I was not previously rooted. The nc simply will not boot from the cwm sd. I don't know how to proceed with any steps without this critical step.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I understand being previously rooted but I was not previously rooted. The nc simply will not boot from the cwm sd. I don't know how to proceed with any steps without this critical step.
It could be your CWM card. Look at my tips thread linked in my signature to find out why some cards do not boot. I also have a new version there you can try.

josepha24

Jan 28, 2012
Where can I get a copy of 1.4.2?

Want to go back to 1.4.2 and then use my already prepared SD card to re-root.

linwiz

Nov 29, 2010
I am going to retry with the 5.5.0.4 "new" sd image. in the mean time, how do i load 1.4.2 once my nook is completely factory/stock? i tried to load 1.4.1 like i would do on a official b&n update, but it just erases the file.

edit: i could not get that sd image to work either. i am following the same steps as I used to root in the past. im using the same sd card and card reader. i honestly think b&n might have done something horrible in 1.4.3 to block us.

edit: after several attempts at resetting, my nc says its 1.2.0 now. but yet it still goes from off to "read forever". i dont know whats going on any more.

edit: I am now sitting with a stock 1.4.1 nc and it still wont boot from sd. i dont know how many times i've burned different sd images to 3 different sd cards and nothing will boot.

edit: i decided to try windows instead of linux to burn the image, worked first shot.

Last edited:

Sardonic95

Nov 22, 2011
Jacksonville
I got this from the B&N Nook board. Sorry I can't give props to who posted it, or the link.

I already had Root Explorer but had to buy a SQL Lite Editor to edit the registry...both are worth it...

You can do this to block OTA updates:

Download Root Explorer from the play store....its not free but its worth it.

Open Root Explorer:
Tap on Data
Tap on Data
Tap on com.bn.devicemanager.
Tap on databases
Tap on devicemanager.db
Tap on registry
Turn to go to landscape mode (should look like a spread sheet)
Go to com.bn.device.fota.mode and look over to the "value" column. It should say auto or automatic.
Long touch on Auto and choose "edit fields".
Change Auto to Manual and hit save.

Reactions: kcerica

thewaywardgeek013

May 31, 2012
I apologize if this has been answered already. I did read the 2 threads involving the 1.4.3 update, but did not get a clear answer.
Can I use the same method I used when I rooted NC running 1.4.2? (clockworkmod 3.2.0.1 and manualnooter 5.02.19)
I also installed the kernel. I have all this info on my PC, saved from my SD card. I misplaced my SD card and thankfully saved all the info on it. I have a new card and am ready to try this root. Can you also offer any info on blocking OTA updates? I tried that once before (2 updates ago) and it didn't work.
I hope I conveyed this clearly. I am ready to scream with the B & N update nightmare!! :eek:
Thanks for any help~

Yes you can use the same method when rooting 1.4.2. You can also create a Stock Rom 1.4.3 w/ CWM on it by following the instructions here. This will also disable OTA Updates AFAIK.

Arana207

Nov 16, 2012
Root the nook verison 1.4.3

I am going to retry with the 5.5.0.4 "new" sd image. in the mean time, how do i load 1.4.2 once my nook is completely factory/stock? i tried to load 1.4.1 like i would do on a official b&n update, but it just erases the file.

edit: i could not get that sd image to work either. i am following the same steps as I used to root in the past. im using the same sd card and card reader. i honestly think b&n might have done something horrible in 1.4.3 to block us.

edit: after several attempts at resetting, my nc says its 1.2.0 now. but yet it still goes from off to "read forever". i dont know whats going on any more.

edit: I am now sitting with a stock 1.4.1 nc and it still wont boot from sd. i dont know how many times i've burned different sd images to 3 different sd cards and nothing will boot.

edit: i decided to try windows instead of linux to burn the image, worked first shot.

I have the color nook version 1.4.3 can you put up the directions on how i can root it its possible. Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was rooted on 1.4.2 when I got OTA update to 1.4.3. I used the same tools and utilities to root it again without any issues. And this time I blocked the OTA updates.

Here are the instructions I followed both times.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1438212
    Thanks for any help~
    I am also trying to root my nook color, 1.4.3. it's not rooted.. it is stock, but it has been rooted in the past. the NC 1.4.3 will not boot CWM or TWRP bootable sd cards. looking for some advice.
    I got this from the B&N Nook board. Sorry I can't give props to who posted it, or the link.

I already had Root Explorer but had to buy a SQL Lite Editor to edit the registry...both are worth it...

You can do this to block OTA updates:

Download Root Explorer from the play store....its not free but its worth it.

Open Root Explorer:
    Tap on Data
    Tap on Data
    Tap on com.bn.devicemanager.
    Tap on databases
    Tap on devicemanager.db
    Tap on registry
    Turn to go to landscape mode (should look like a spread sheet)
    Go to com.bn.device.fota.mode and look over to the "value" column. It should say auto or automatic.
    Long touch on Auto and choose "edit fields".
    Change Auto to Manual and hit save.