[Q] Renable Stock Messaging App

Search This thread

mordecai84

Jan 9, 2010
I had disabled the stock messaging app on my Moto X with stock Android 4.4.2. So far, this has been working great, and I don't have two messaging apps (Hangouts and Messaging) in the apps list. However, last night, I updated to 4.4.3, and now I can't send text messages. Hangouts crashes every time I start typing a message. I realized it might be because I had disabled the stock messaging app and went to go and reenable it in the App settings. So I went to Settings -> Apps -> Disabled, and tapped on Messaging. But the enable button is greyed out. Is there any way to reenable the app without resetting the phone? I can't seem to find any other way searching online doesn't show anyone else with this problem.

Thanks for any help!

dpile103

Dec 15, 2013
I had disabled the stock messaging app on my Moto X with stock Android 4.4.2. So far, this has been working great, and I don't have two messaging apps (Hangouts and Messaging) in the apps list. However, last night, I updated to 4.4.3, and now I can't send text messages. Hangouts crashes every time I start typing a message. I realized it might be because I had disabled the stock messaging app and went to go and reenable it in the App settings. So I went to Settings -> Apps -> Disabled, and tapped on Messaging. But the enable button is greyed out. Is there any way to reenable the app without resetting the phone? I can't s

I was able to solve this by defrosting the app in titanium backup!

Edit: For anyone else that stumbles on this thread, the enable button for disabled apps is greyed out in 4.4.3. If you are not rooted, one way to renable apps is to go to Settings > Apps > Disabled > Reset app preferences (under the menu button in the top right).

Last edited: