[Q] Stuck with SlapMyMoto -- followed steps exactly!

Search This thread

whittikins

Oct 12, 2011
My Moto X arrived with 4.4. It's the T-mobile (GSM unlocked) variant. I'm trying to root 4.4 without unlocking the bootloader. I followed the guide to:

1 - downgrade to 4.2.2 camera fix (using ADB and MFastBoot)
2 - root 4.2.2 camera fix (using RockMyMoto)
3 - disable write protection (using MotoWpNoMo)
--- at this point, I used "adb shell getprop ro.boot.write_protect" which returned '0'
4 - return to stock (4.2.2 camera fix)
--- used these steps:
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot flash system system.img
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot reboot

- SLAPMYMOTO steps. I do this successfully: adb push SlapMyMoto.jar /sdcard/SlapMyMoto.jar
- I use Cydia Impactor to start the telnetd on port 2222, then I connect with telnet, no problem.
- I run this command: dalvikvm -cp /sdcard/SlapMyMoto.jar SlapMyMoto
And I get this:
Code:
~ $ dalvikvm -cp /sdcard/SlapMyMoto.jar SlapMyMoto
SlapMyMoto 1.0
by Justin Case
Optional Donations can be sent to:
Google Wallet: jcase@cunninglogic.com
Paypal: jcase@cunninglogic.com
Bitcoin: 1Newifz6yETTmbziCsZZstmHHPH6ejNr75

SlapMyMoto 1.0 does not support write protected devices. [B][COLOR="Red"](Why is it write protected again? I made sure it was "0"!)[/COLOR][/B]
Please root using RockMyMoto [B][COLOR="Red"](I did this)[/COLOR][/B], then remove write protection with MotoWpNoMo [B][COLOR="Red"](and this)[/COLOR][/B],
and restore to stock before continuing with SlapMyMoto [B][COLOR="Red"](this is what I JUST DID!)[/COLOR][/B].
However, I already verified that it was rooted and write protection was 0 (my step [3] above). It must be the "return to stock 4.2.2" that is undoing the write protection.

What am I doing wrong?!

Last edited:

stillthisguy

Dec 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
[/CODE]However, I already verified that it was rooted and write protection was 0 (my step [3] above). It must be the "return to stock 4.2.2" that is undoing the write protection.

What am I doing wrong?!

After running MotoWPNoMo reboot normally and then check write protection and make sure it is still 0. If it is, make sure you are flashing back to stock 4.2.2 will all steps:

Code:
mfastboot oem fb_mode_set
mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
mfastboot flash boot boot.img
mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot flash system system.img
mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
mfastboot erase modemst1
mfastboot erase modemst2
mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
mfastboot erase cache
mfastboot erase userdata
mfastboot erase customize
mfastboot erase clogo
mfastboot oem fb_mode_clear

Then check for R/W disabled after you boot and enable debugging.

whittikins

Oct 12, 2011
You don't have write protection disabled. Type:

adb shell getprop ro.boot.write_protect

What do you get? If you get a "1", you need to rerun MotoWPNoMo again. MotoWPNoMo is permanent (until you take the 4.4.2 OTA) and flashing 4.2.2 after running it will not re-enable write protection.

Use RSD Lite to restore to stock 4.2.2. post camera fix. Don't flash manually. But you need to edit the XML file as discussed in the link below:

Returning to Stock Using RSD Lite

Thanks. I'll try this. That's the confusing part. Supposedly it's permanent, but when I ran the command (after motowpnomo) it returned 0. Then after flashing 4.2.2c again, the command returns 1. Either it's not permanent, or that command isn't reliably reporting the state of the write protection. Doesn't it seem strange to you?

stillthisguy

Dec 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Thanks. I'll try this. That's the confusing part. Supposedly it's permanent, but when I ran the command (after motowpnomo) it returned 0. Then after flashing 4.2.2c again, the command returns 1. Either it's not permanent, or that command isn't reliably reporting the state of the write protection. Doesn't it seem strange to you?

It is permanent, the problem with checking that way is the following. When you root with RockMyMoto you have two boot methods. Normal boot will boot with R/W protection enabled - 1. If you boot to recovery, it will boot with R/W protection disabled - 0. So technically, MotoWPNoMo can fail, and you could still see the 0.

whittikins

Oct 12, 2011
It is permanent, the problem with checking that way is the following. When you root with RockMyMoto you have two boot methods. Normal boot will boot with R/W protection enabled - 1. If you boot to recovery, it will boot with R/W protection disabled - 0. So technically, MotoWPNoMo can fail, and you could still see the 0.

Ahhh I see. Thanks!

So, is the MotoWPNoMo supposed to ask SuperSU for root during the process?

whittikins

Oct 12, 2011
When I rooted my relative's locked bootloader Moto X, I did not bother installing the SuperSU after completing RockMyMoto since all i was doing RockMyMoto for was to gain root to disable write protection using PwnMyMoto. Then flashing 4.2.2 again.

Gotcha. I had to run it again and it finally went through the entire process of removing write protection. I think I'm good to go now. I just flashed 4.2.2 again and am about to use SlapMyMoto and update to 4.4 OTA.