[Q] Hacking THBK1-10 (getting root)

Search This thread

Graveen

Nov 21, 2010
www.dolserver.net
Hello,

THBK1-10 is a cheap dual system (Android 4.2.2 /Windows 8.1) tablet based on Bay Trail (Intel Atom Z3740D). More details http://www.thomsoncomputing.eu/dualboot.html

I'm trying to hack it, and especially get root and use non-signed zip in recovery. Basically i'm stuck at theses points, and i'm requesting directions to continue the work.

I have posted in W8 section, but obviously, this is no longer the place :)

General
------------

* i can use a work-around to write system (/system, /data) partitions
* i can flash signed updates via recovery
* google apps are working flawesly. Only thing is to keep original files (stock keyboard and layout)

-> i would like to flash non-signed zip via recovery, but i guess i have to build a custom recovery, or can i exploit something else ?

Root:
-------

* no auto root is working (z4root, towelRoot). Regarding towelRoot, i tryed each 8 common parameters, and i don't really know how to do others. I have also heard this is only working in 4.4.2+
* pushing su is not working. When i'm launching it, let's say from terminal, i have a code 255 return (-1). Tested with both arm and x86 version (i'm still wondering why arm su is also returning -1, i would have expect a non valid binary. Or perhaps my x86 version is bad ?

-> i'm still trying to dig this issue, and idea on how i could do ? i believe running SU was enough... but it seems not. Any idea ?

Many thanks !

Reactions: zeksayne

Graveen

Nov 21, 2010
www.dolserver.net
Bump. the way it is booting is based on ramdisk images (one for normal android boot, one for android recovery).
I have acces to theses img, and i can, with hexedit (perhaps mounting them directly at a filesystem), view the whole init sequence.

My question is : what triggers the root invalidation ? AFAIK, everything is done as root (mounting FS, updating permissions, etc....). Basically i can't really figure how it is handled.

Thank you !

Reactions: zeksayne

Graveen

Nov 21, 2010
www.dolserver.net
Hello, yes !

I'm actually writing a GAPPS tuto, which is intensively tested by Zeksaine. Root will be added, as this is only a simple step inside the whole process.

This is a bit technical (read boring), but it worths the try. My TODO list is here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2799404 , and while i'll take a little break, i hope soon to have custom recovery allowing you to directly flash gapps or supersu.

:)

Reactions: deadlynounou

zeksayne

Dec 15, 2010
Yes ! I confirm ! Graveen has installed GAPPS on Thomoson THBK1 / Danew Dualboot tablet with sucess ! I'm not familiarised with linux environnement and realize it, but it requires some knowledges of linux command (coLinux especially)

Graveen is the only one users identified that it can put GAPPS on android environnement concerning this tablet.

Big thanks to him !

Hello, yes !

I'm actually writing a GAPPS tuto, which is intensively tested by Zeksaine. Root will be added, as this is only a simple step inside the whole process.

This is a bit technical (read boring), but it worths the try. My TODO list is here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2799404 , and while i'll take a little break, i hope soon to have custom recovery allowing you to directly flash gapps or supersu.

Reactions: Graveen

Fran.K

Nov 24, 2012

I own a Cube U100GT and it's one of the many Chinese brothers of your THBK1-10. But mine came only with W 8.1.
I just start looking for a dual boot solution and I'm happy to know that it's is possible.

I don't need root for while, just play some games and apps.
So the original Android "ROM" of the tablet can do the job.

My version have 64Gb SSD and I've already resize the Win partition to make room for a new system.
Where can I look for a dual boot tuto and find this Android version?

Graveen

Nov 21, 2010
www.dolserver.net
Heya, can you post your partition list ?
What is the bios of your tablet ? Can you wire an USB keyboard to see this at boot ?

Basically, they effectively seems identical.

For partial update, you can find one here: http://www.danew.com/support-pilotes-manuels.php?type=218&produit=219 but it relies on existing android partitions i still have not dumped.

Android-x86 could worth a try also, although i doubt you will have all drivers (touch, gyro, etc..)

Last edited:

Fran.K

Nov 24, 2012
Heya, can you post your partition list ?
What is the bios of your tablet ? Can you wire an USB keyboard to see this at boot ?

Basically, they effectively seems identical.

For partial update, you can find one here: but it relies on existing android partitions i still have not dumped.

Android-x86 could worth a try also, although i doubt you will have all drivers (touch, gyro, etc..)

The partition list is the standard for a windows installation (but no windows image on the end):
1: 300 Mb (Windows RE)
2: 100 Mb (System)
3: The rest (Windows). My SSD is 64Gb.

My tablet already comes with a dedicated keyboard cover, so I have full access to to UEFI Bios.
There's a lot of numbers:
Aptio Setup Utility Version 2.16.1242

Vendor - AMI
Core Version - 5.008
Project Version - 3BAGR 0.03
EC FW Version - 201401101A

Intel GOP driver - 7.0.1029

Sec RC Version - 00.05.00.00
TXE FW Version - 01.00.02.1060

I found the drivers pack for windows 8 and so I could install my PT-BR edition of W81. And reserve 20Gb at the end for another OS.

It's my first UEFI machine and I'm completely lost. There's a lot of options and I can't understand a quarter of that.

On the Tabletrepublic forum someone said that my bios recuse everything except a Windows pendrive. If is true, there's no way to put Android but changing/patching the UEFI.

Android x86 is for desktops right? And the Intel site, can I find Android images there?

Graveen

Nov 21, 2010
www.dolserver.net
Thank you. What i'll do is to check if my bios is identical to yours, because there are effectively numerous options. Then, i could finsh to dump my android partitions and let you play with them.

Honestly, the trick is the OS selection system, which is bring by the EFI bootloader (and certainly a dedicated partition). Once selection is done, another EFI bootloader (windows only) is called.

let's continue here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2799404

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

THBK1-10 is a cheap dual system (Android 4.2.2 /Windows 8.1) tablet based on Bay Trail (Intel Atom Z3740D). More details http://www.thomsoncomputing.eu/dualboot.html

I'm trying to hack it, and especially get root and use non-signed zip in recovery. Basically i'm stuck at theses points, and i'm requesting directions to continue the work.

I have posted in W8 section, but obviously, this is no longer the place :)

General
    ------------

* i can use a work-around to write system (/system, /data) partitions
    * i can flash signed updates via recovery
    * google apps are working flawesly. Only thing is to keep original files (stock keyboard and layout)

-> i would like to flash non-signed zip via recovery, but i guess i have to build a custom recovery, or can i exploit something else ?

Root:
    -------

* no auto root is working (z4root, towelRoot). Regarding towelRoot, i tryed each 8 common parameters, and i don't really know how to do others. I have also heard this is only working in 4.4.2+
    * pushing su is not working. When i'm launching it, let's say from terminal, i have a code 255 return (-1). Tested with both arm and x86 version (i'm still wondering why arm su is also returning -1, i would have expect a non valid binary. Or perhaps my x86 version is bad ?

-> i'm still trying to dig this issue, and idea on how i could do ? i believe running SU was enough... but it seems not. Any idea ?

Many thanks !
    Bump. the way it is booting is based on ramdisk images (one for normal android boot, one for android recovery).
    I have acces to theses img, and i can, with hexedit (perhaps mounting them directly at a filesystem), view the whole init sequence.

My question is : what triggers the root invalidation ? AFAIK, everything is done as root (mounting FS, updating permissions, etc....). Basically i can't really figure how it is handled.

Thank you !
    Hello, yes !

Yes ! I confirm ! Graveen has installed GAPPS on Thomoson THBK1 / Danew Dualboot tablet with sucess ! I'm not familiarised with linux environnement and realize it, but it requires some knowledges of linux command (coLinux especially)

Graveen is the only one users identified that it can put GAPPS on android environnement concerning this tablet.

Big thanks to him !

Hello, yes !