Captivate Boot Animations and Sounds

Search This thread

darkamikaze

Aug 7, 2010
Candyland
Does removing these boot logo actually speed up the boot process or will I just be starring at a blank black screen instead? :eek: and with that has anyone customized boot logo and sound? and if yes :D video please

Last edited:

mmm_tacos

Aug 8, 2010
It is my understanding we cannot do custom boot screens without editing the .qmg files is that correct? I looked at the files and can some what make out the header, but the data is compressed it seems. The .qmg file is just an archive of many qm files. It looks like the "image" section is broken into 3 parts.

This what I see when I look at the QM header.

dword - magic (QM)
word - ? (128 always?)
word - screen dimension X (480 my device)
word - screen dimension Y (800 my device)
word - unknown (always blank?)
dword - offset to last chunk (#3?) (this offset leads to two repeating file size dwords)
word - # of frames
word - current frame number
word - always blank??
word - always 1??
dword - offset to middle data chunk or (1st chunks size)
dword - unknown only seems to have a value on the first entry of the file

Each new frame has its own QM file. So for instance in the bootsamsung.qmg there are 97 QM files in the .qmg.

That was my 10 minute look at the file. If the data is compressed it is something lightweight and would explain the rather big file sizes.

Anyone mess with it?

Last edited:

adfree

Jun 14, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Samsung Galaxy S22
Hello.

It seems we have same problem but different handsets. :)
I have S8500 Wave...
http://www.badanation.de/topic.php?t=222&page=6

*.qmg files ( single Pics, no Animations) are packed into ZIP Archiv *.smt.
These are our Themes. :)

Now I took bootsamsung.qmg._____kkm from yours.
Thanx to Uploader.

"Cut the first Frame" and now I have white Background.

After playing a little bit... I have now yellow Screen. 480 x 800 Pixel.
Changed 8 Bytes...

Also I was able with changing few Bytes to make lines in the bottom of Picture...

Interessting is. My changes leads not to Error or Reset. It seems we could change and try... maybe we find Algo.

Lets work together.

Best Regards

Attachments

• Idle_Background.weiss.rar
    198 bytes · Views: 70
  • Idle_Background.gelb.rar
    200 bytes · Views: 55
  • 2m.jpg
    2m.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 358
  • 3m.jpg
    3m.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 315

mmm_tacos

Aug 8, 2010
Hello.

It seems we have same problem but different handsets. :)
I have S8500 Wave...
http://www.badanation.de/topic.php?t=222&page=6

*.qmg files ( single Pics, no Animations) are packed into ZIP Archiv *.smt.
These are our Themes. :)

Now I took bootsamsung.qmg._____kkm from yours.
Thanx to Uploader.

"Cut the first Frame" and now I have white Background.

After playing a little bit... I have now yellow Screen. 480 x 800 Pixel.
Changed 8 Bytes...

Also I was able with changing few Bytes to make lines in the bottom of Picture...

Interessting is. My changes leads not to Error or Reset. It seems we could change and try... maybe we find Algo.

Lets work together.

Best Regards

If the headers are the same for your qmg files you should change these 2 bytes in your file to 01 00 at the very least.

http://i.imgur.com/wZ0t2.png

Based on everything I've seen this 16 bit value represents the total number of frames present in the qmg. I'm assuming it compares the next 16 bit with the 16 bit value I've selected and if the value I've selected is higher than the other it continues on.

I've attached my battery charging qmg (you see it when the phone is off and you plug USB in on the captivate). You can try slicing off the the first QM and then adjusting the total number of frames to 1 (the value placement I've selected in image should say 5 originally). If it works it should most certainly not be all white.

Attachments

• battery_charging_100.rar
    32.1 KB · Views: 212

adfree

Jun 14, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Samsung Galaxy S22
Thank you for posting.
I will try soon.

Most of our qmg files have IHDR on correct Position for PNG...
But I was not able change correct Bytes to make valid PNG... :eek:

Maybe QMG allow RAW or PNG uncompressed/compressed... :confused:

Attached few examples. Maybe you see more.
Screenshot is from other Pic with Resolution 104 x 107...

Thank you.

Best Regards

Attachments

• HEX1.jpg
    HEX1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 240
  • IHDR44x34.rar
    3.2 KB · Views: 34

mmm_tacos

Aug 8, 2010
Thank you for posting.
I will try soon.

Most of our qmg files have IHDR on correct Position for PNG...
But I was not able change correct Bytes to make valid PNG... :eek:

Maybe QMG allow RAW or PNG uncompressed/compressed... :confused:

Attached few examples. Maybe you see more.
Screenshot is from other Pic with Resolution 104 x 107...

Thank you.

Best Regards

Well, it looks like the short at 0x4 is how we determine the version. Your file is quite different than ours. The only thing that suggests PNG is the IHDR in the file, but the image is most certainly not zlib compressed as far as I can see.

Do you have any different ones that are not battery icons?

adfree

Jun 14, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Samsung Galaxy S22
I have attached from incoming devices... lower Res 240 x 400...
S5250
S5330
Extracted from Firmware...

To find Resolution of QMGs easier look into:
SamsungThemeTouchwiz3.xml

Best Regards and thank you.

Attachments

• test1.zip
    656 KB · Views: 48
  • S5330Themev1n.zip
    860.9 KB · Views: 53

mexiken

Apr 2, 2008
Los Angeles
Can someone please re up the samsung i9000 boot animation???? The link in the other thread is down

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

adfree

Jun 14, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Samsung Galaxy S22
@ mmm_tacos

This is what I can see if I use your battery_charging_100.qmg without Modification.

Sorry for late answer, but as you can see, sooo many replies... :( :(

Anyway. Thank you for uploading. :cool:

Best Regards

Attachments

• 5m.jpg
    5m.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 372

mmm_tacos

Aug 8, 2010
That was exactly what it is supposed to look like. :)

I'm still looking at your files. I haven't had any luck or much time so far though.

Sep 23, 2010
Arkadelphia, AR
When I was poking around i the initramfs I found this:
Code:
# disable boot animation for a faster boot sequence when needed
boot_anim=`getprop ro.kernel.android.bootanim`
case "$boot_anim" in
    0)  setprop debug.sf.nobootanimation 1
    ;;
esac

So it seems we can load up the settings data base and set debug.sf.nobootanimation 1 to turn off boot animations completely using the same procedure as the market place restriction fix(?). Looks like that speeds up boot as well since the devs seem to want to do it ;)

Has anyone tried this?

This question has been asked before, but no one has said anything yet....

EDIT: I can't find any setting in settings.db that looks like it would accomplish this. Maybe in another db?

Last edited:

adfree

Jun 14, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Samsung Galaxy S22
I've downloaded today I9000 Firmware and found in factoryfs.rfs:

QM_IMG_TYPE_JPG
QM_IMG_TYPE_QWG
QM_IMG_TYPE_RAW
QM_IMG_TYPE_BMP
QM_IMG_TYPE_QMG
QM_IMG_TYPE_IFG
QM_IMG_TYPE_GIF
QM_IMG_TYPE_UNKNOWN
QM_IMG_TYPE_PNG

Maybe RAW is one Option:
QM_RAW_RGB888
QM_RAW_RGBA5658
QM_RAW_BGRA8888
QM_RAW_ARGB8888
QM_RAW_RGBA8888
QM_RAW_BGR888
QM_RAW_RGB565
QM_RAW_ARGB8565

Code:
pDecoderVer Animation_NoRepeat currentFrameNumber QM_DEC_FCODEC_VER_1_00 QM_DEC_FCODEC_VER_1_00_QMAGE_1_01 FDecInfo QmageDecGetVersion QM_IMG_TYPE_JPG imageInfo encoder_mode QM_RAW_RGB888 mode_bit short int QM_BOOL QmageDecoderInfo QMUINT32 QM_IMG_TYPE_QWG animation GNU C 4.2.1 header_len Animation_delaytime QM_DEC_INVALID_SIZE IS_ANIMATION pInputStream QmageDecodeCodecType QM_IMG_TYPE_RAW QM_DEC_VCODEC_VER_3_01_QMAGE_1_01 QM_DEC_VCODEC_VER_3_00_TAG_LESS_5 QM_DEC_VCODEC_VER_3_01_TAG_LESS_5 QM_IMG_TYPE_BMP QmageImageType QM_DEC_FAIL QM_IO_BUFFER QmageDecodeAniFrame QM_DEC_UNSUPPORTED_TYPE SIZE_SHIFT decoder_info external/Qmage/QmageDecoderLIB/src/QmageDecoder.c QM_DEC_INVALID_ADDRESS float Qmage_VDecoderVMODE_T pDecbuf QmageImageInfo QMINT32 UseExtraException QM_RAW_RGBA5658 QmageDecoderHeader QmageDecAniInfo QMAGE_DEC_VCODEC_BYTE_INDEX pInput Qmage_V_DecoderVersion QM_DEC_ANI_END_OF_FRAME QM_DEC_UNSUPPORTED_FILE Qmage_WDecderInfo QMAGE_DEC_WCODEC_1PASS QmageRawImageType QM_DEC_CORRUPTED_FILE QM_IO_FILE QM_IMG_TYPE_QMG alpha_depth ConversionMode unsigned char QM_DEC_VCODEC_VER_3_01_TAG_MORE_5 QM_IMG_TYPE_IFG Qmage_VDecderInfo QM_DEC_OUT_OF_MEMORY ANI_RANGE QM_IMG_TYPE_GIF /home/hwa/cupcake QmageDecoderError Qmage_FDecderInfo color QM_IO_RAW_BUFFER QmageDecParseHeader pHeader_info QM_RAW_BGRA8888 short unsigned int totalFrameNumber QM_RAW_ARGB8888 Qmage_F_DecoderVersion QM_DEC_VCODEC_VER_3_00_11_EXCLUSIVE_OR alpha_position debug_QmageDecError QmageDecCreateAniInfo rgba_order img_type QM_RAW_RGBA8888 QM_BOOL_TRUE NotComp QM_DEC_VCODEC_VER_2_00_T QmageIOType vcodec_version QmageDecGetLastErr QmageDecodeFrame double pAniDecInfo QMAGE_DEC_WCODEC_2PASS QM_DEC_ANI_NOT_ENOUGH_DATA input_io_type QMAGE_DEC_VCODEC_SHORT_INDEX QmageDecDestroyAniInfo QM_RAW_BGR888 QM_IMG_TYPE_UNKNOWN QM_IMG_TYPE_PNG img_width raw_type QM_BOOL_FALSE QmageDecVersionCheck QM_DEC_VCODEC_VER_2_00 transparency QM_RAW_RGB565 QM_DEC_UNSUPPORTED_VERSION input_size VDecInfo WDecInfo QMAGE_DEC_FCODEC tiny QM_DEC_ANI_FAIL QM_RAW_ARGB8565 QMUCHAR Use_chromakey QM_DEC_VCODEC_VER_3_00_TAG_MORE_5 Animation img_height _vmode_t Ver200_SPEED readsize pPreAlphaImage header_info fileread pDecoder_info QmageDecCommon_GetVDecoder_CommonVersionInfo pAniInfo external/Qmage/QmageDecoderLIB/src/QmageDecCommon.c QmageDecCommon_GetAniDecoderInfo QmageDecCommon_ParseHeader pVDec_info pReadBuffer QmageDecCommon_FGetDecoderInfo pPreImage16 filesize QmageDecCommon_GetDecoderInfo QmageDecCommon_SetHeaderFromDecoderInfo QmageDecCommon_QGetDecoderInfo iBufferCount QmageDecoderAniInfo pInputBuffer QmageDecCommon_VGetDecoderInfo QmageDecCommon_CheckBuffer MINMUM_READ_SIZE QmageDecCommon_SetImageInfo tot_framenum QmageDecCommon_CreateAniInfo filehandler need_size QmageDecCommon_WGetDecoderInfo QmageDecCommon_StillErrorCheck bytesInBuffer filepos image_info QmageDecCommon_VersionCheck input_type pReadbuffer QmageDecCommon_DestroyAniInfo readSize QmageDecCommon_GetVersion bufferpoint cntTable QMAGE_W_HEADER alphaPos pBuff copy_flag Qmage_WDecodeFrame_Low alpharetVal __QM_WCodec_2nd_decode nExcep nRun orgsize pImageInfo diffTable sizeRun ptr1 __QM1st_decode nIdx QMUINT16 pRGBA5658 temp tempBuf pARGB8565 pSrc external/Qmage/QmageDecoderLIB/src/Qmage_WDecoder_Low.c pDecodebuffer ppAlpha ppRGB565 ptr3 tmppad padding bits_left decodeSize __QM_WCodec_1st_decode cntRun _2nddecodesize _1stencodesize org_size exceptionPos QMULONG dist tmpsize __QM_WCodec_decode pOutputStream sizeExcep bytePos sizeIdx decsize byBuffer EndMB watchdog_freq pRawData pDec header external/Qmage/QmageDecoderLIB/src/Qmage_VDecoder_table.c __QM_DecodeOneFrame_A9LL_ani_alpha loopHgt4x4 pPreImage16Temp pARGB8888 __QM_DecodeOneF

Maybe we should more study this...

Best Regards

Last edited:

xayatox

Sep 21, 2010
I was trying to replace the first splash screen (the white one "world phone") but so far no lucky. I had to restore my phone after a bad flash from a custom "tar" file... hehehe
phone -!- computer icon it's no good :p

Does anyone know how to remove or replace that splash screen? do we need to dump the boot loader then patch it?

i found the jpg with the ATT World Phone... but I haven't been able to remove it.

check it out and let me know what you think!

/data/data1/logo_ATNT.jpg

granbosteron

Nov 11, 2010
Hi I have a problem. I changed my ROM to Cog v2.4. This ROM delete the original s galaxy bootanimation.qmg factory and replacement with another bootanimation.zip

Question: I can reconfigure a bootanimation qmg as had before?
I tried deleting the bootanimation.zip and drop these files again:

/System/media/bootsamsung.qmg
/System/media/bootsamsungloop.qmg
/System/bin/bootanimation
/System/bin/bootaniamtion2nd

But only the text "andorid" appears animated.

Is it possible the return to the original bootanimation qmg? What files and modifications need to do? Could you share with me the files needed to return to the original bootanimation?

Kaik541

Jun 26, 2010
Cedar Park, TX
Hi I have a problem. I changed my ROM to Cog v2.4. This ROM delete the original s galaxy bootanimation.qmg factory and replacement with another bootanimation.zip

Question: I can reconfigure a bootanimation qmg as had before?
I tried deleting the bootanimation.zip and drop these files again:

/System/media/bootsamsung.qmg
/System/media/bootsamsungloop.qmg
/System/bin/bootanimation
/System/bin/bootaniamtion2nd

But only the text "andorid" appears animated.

Is it possible the return to the original bootanimation qmg? What files and modifications need to do? Could you share with me the files needed to return to the original bootanimation?

Cog's kernel doesn't support the *.qmg animation support, instead going for an option that is more user-configurable. And no, there is no known process for altering a *.qmg into a *.zip format; but, fortunately for you, if you truly must have that "Galaxy S" logo for bootup, feel free to use this: http://cid-11d05b676a3170c4.office....lic/Android/bootanimations/samsunggalaxys.zip and rename it to "bootanimation.zip" and put it in /data/local or /system/media