[Q] How to port Gingerbread?

Search This thread

lexsjack

Jun 24, 2014
I have an old Lg c550 Optimus Chat, it's running froyo 2.2.2, no one built a custom gingerbread rom for it so i would like to give it a try. Can anyone give me advices about what to do? Is it there a guide for dummys? I'm not a coder but if it's not too hard i can try to do it. Please help me out

P.s.: I was thinking to modify a p350 or a p500 Gingerbread but i don't know what to do

Last edited:

nightwalker

Mar 23, 2013
Uttar Pradesh>Meerut
I have an old Lg c550 Optimus Chat, it's running froyo 2.2.2, no one built a custom gingerbread rom for it so i would like to give it a try. Can anyone give me advices about what to do? Is it there a guide for dummys? I'm not a coder but if it's not too hard i can try to do it. Please help me out

P.s.: I was thinking to modify a p350 or a p500 Gingerbread but i don't know what to do
Well,I don't say it will work but it's pretty tough.Porting different android versions requires great knowledge and compiling also.But,while building a rom for a specific device is more secure than porting as we never know it will boot or not.But,you may try. But,I nor xda is responsible for any problems to device.You should make a backup and have all recovery tools with you,to ensure that your device didn't get brick.
replace ram disk
Modify updater scripts
Chown and chmod lines modification
init.rc editing
Rom patching

lexsjack

Jun 24, 2014
Well,I don't say it will work but it's pretty tough.Porting different android versions requires great knowledge and compiling also.But,while building a rom for a specific device is more secure than porting as we never know it will boot or not.But,you may try. But,I nor xda is responsible for any problems to device.You should make a backup and have all recovery tools with you,to ensure that your device didn't get brick.
replace ram disk
Modify updater scripts
Chown and chmod lines modification
init.rc editing
Rom patching

Omg it looks terrible, i won't be able to do it, too hard... Do you know if maybe here someone could do it just for fun? Undortunatly in my life i don't know any coder...:crying:

nightwalker

Mar 23, 2013
Uttar Pradesh>Meerut
Omg it looks terrible, i won't be able to do it, too hard... Do you know if maybe here someone could do it just for fun? Undortunatly in my life i don't know any coder...:crying:
Well,Let me clarify one thing.All are noobs in starting.When we start to try things ,we gain knowledge.When I join Xda I didn't knew any thing rather than rooting.I thought that if I know rooting fully,I will be a great dev.(Told u I was a NOOB).Then,I to become popular I posted screenshots of a build.prop edit with written 4.1.1
and told I ported jelly bean.Some people told me -Wow,you are a genious dude.I felt very good hearing appreciation from them.Then,they asked me link for his.I made excuses day after day.then,one day the moderator posted a reply which changed me.So,That's why I started to gain knowledge about all this.

herindedhia

May 29, 2014
Mumbai
Search search search

Search for custom ROM which is made for your device.Try CyanogenMod or even search on this forum.My Samsung S+ was running on Gingerbread and now i rooted it with 4.4.2 and it really makes it faster and smoother.But try rooting along side a experience guy else it will brick your device :)

lexsjack

Jun 24, 2014
Search for custom ROM which is made for your device.Try CyanogenMod or even search on this forum.My Samsung S+ was running on Gingerbread and now i rooted it with 4.4.2 and it really makes it faster and smoother.But try rooting along side a experience guy else it will brick your device :)

I searched evrywhere for a custom rom but no luck, cyanogen mod doesn't support my phone, the only thing i was able to do it was root it with gingerbreak 1.2.

lexsjack

Jun 24, 2014
So no one can be my obi one kenoby? First of all i would need a clock work mod recovery right? There isn't one for this phone so how can i do it? Is it hard to build?

Last edited: