[ROM][04/26/12] Virtuous Inquisition v4.0.2 :: AOSP-Experience Senseless ICS (4.0.3)

Search This thread

silverdart

Mar 21, 2010
My whole thing is simple, and I am not disputing anyone at this point. We all stand to learn something.

SO what exactly is causing the UI to run smoother? And I'm not talking about a fresh boot or after letting it sit for some hours. I am talking about fresh from an unlock type of much better smoothness.

I know what I experienced prior to turning the extra cores on (even with the tweaks) and I know what I experienced after having both cores running from init.d. Heck, contrary to what someone said earlier, I have let my phone sit for five hours and System Tuner is still showing both cores online and active.

Now, I know there are some differences phones from cpu to cpu. But there isn't THAT much of a difference to say one phone should perform completely different from another.

I'm basing this on experience and testing myself.

You have to do what is right and performing for your phone. For instance I never experienced anything but smoothness with this ROM. I have no complaints but maybe that comes with my particular setup and installed software. Always remember it only takes one software installation that can have major effects on your operating system. The answer is not to compensate but to search and destroy!

Freshly_Snipes

Aug 3, 2011
Atlanta
Anyone please? The .zip I found freezes the phone on boot.
NO. This is too new and you should search next time. This has been answered probably 50 times in the last 2 days. Search at the top of the screen is your best friend and will save you from asking repeatedly for HELP like a lost child. lol

So in a nutshell PLEASE don't flash anything else. Nothing works and if you want something themed try Elegancia. Otherwise you're up butt cheek creek with that one bud.

aNYthing24

May 25, 2011
NYC
You're missing the part about asynchronous smp architecture. It's NOT meant to run both cores at once full time, only when a threshold is reached on cpu0 will cpu1 kick on.

Also, ics makes the entire rom multithreaded, and makes apps aware of multithread. Doesn't mean it changes our phone to a synchronous smp architecture.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G
No I understand the aSMP architecture. That's not the issue here at all. It's just that cpu1 is always completely offline with the stock setup, even when cpu0 reaches 1.18 GHz. You can check it yourself if you don't believe me.

silverdart

Mar 21, 2010
Working on my phone!

No I understand the aSMP architecture. That's not the issue here at all. It's just that cpu1 is always completely offline with the stock setup, even when cpu0 reaches 1.18 GHz. You can check it yourself if you don't believe me.

I can't tell you what your phone is doing or what your monitoring APPS are displaying. I use the CPU Usage Monitor which shows when CPU 1 kicks in. It is displayed on my task bar so when I run a benchmark or surf the internet I can see it kick in. It is definitely working with the stock setup on my phone.

veronesi.n

Jun 15, 2011
Piétrain
Don't know if it has already been said, but screen doesn't sleep or lock even if I put it to 30seconds.

I've issues with spellchecker, it always shows me words in english although everything is in french...

But this is a great rom ;) keep going this way ;) thanks

aNYthing24

May 25, 2011
NYC
I can't tell you what your phone is doing or what your monitoring APPS are displaying. I use the CPU Usage Monitor which shows when CPU 1 kicks in. It is displayed on my task bar so when I run a benchmark or surf the internet I can see it kick in. It is definitely working with the stock setup on my phone.
That's strange. I think I'm going to reflash tomorrow.

rmk40

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 13, 2010
The most likely reason you saw performance improve is because your media finished scanning around the same time you applied the optimizations. I get the impression folks are not hearing me on this one, watch adb logcat after you first install the ROM (assuming wipe) and notice how much media is being scanned.

If you're so inclined, watch the top CPU consuming processes and you'll see it's the media scanner. It takes a while for it to finish, especially if you have a lot of music on your sdcard.

Despite being a subjective assessment of performance, I can say I was doing dual core testing with 1.3.0 and a fresh wipe. Forcing CPU1 is a bad idea. I'm actually going to remove the daemon from the ROM the next release.

Reactions: Madeli

banesi

Dec 27, 2006

Despite being a subjective assessment of performance, I can say I was doing dual core testing with 1.3.0 and a fresh wipe. Forcing CPU1 is a bad idea. I'm actually going to remove the daemon from the ROM the next release.

Thanks for this, just let anyone who want's to mess with their CPU's whatever they want ;)

On a side note, there seems to be some theming problems with shinzon latest AOSP theme.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

dd66

Jun 30, 2008
Paris
thanks for this rom, got no issue so far!
The only thing I noticed is that the camera won't launch from the lockscreen. Any fix?
Tha,ks

EricDET

Dec 28, 2010
Cincinnati
Rmk is right about the media scanner it runs hard in the logcat for the better part of 15-20 minutes on my phone. As to the lag of the lockscreen... I do not experience this whatsoever. I in fact couldn't imagine the phone opening any faster.. lol. I've not applied any cpu tweaks at all. Also if you check the show cpu usage in the dev options it clearly shows both cores plugging away as soon as you enter any kind of intensive activity. The Rom is super smooth once the media scanner and google accounts sync.

WebMatze

Apr 19, 2009
Hello,

first of all, thank you for that fantastic rom.

It's fast, clean and stable.

I only get one issue, i used to use Google car Home, tha app itself works fine, but when i plug the phone on my car holder, the app doesnt start automitically...

Is it a known bug ? Is there a workaround ?

shnizlon

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2009

Attachments

• shot_Dec_26_2011_0.jpg
    shot_Dec_26_2011_0.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 406
Reactions: banesi and jjdoctor

Dai323

Nov 28, 2009
Cologne Germany
www.couporando.co.uk
Ok, so to repost something I said in another thread, here is something to help you guys with the smoothness of this rom. I'm basically adding my method of installing this ROM (vs 1.3) coming from vs 1.2

On vs 1.2 I did the following:

I had already done the apn tweak to get mms working on Tmo. So I used apn backup to back up that apn.

Then I used SMS Backup to back up my sms.

Then I used titanium backup (you can also use system tuner ) to back up my apps WITH data (I always go with data and for the few apps that force close, a reboot into recovery with a cache wipe usually works for me)

Then go forward and reboot into recovery to flash the rom. I use SUPERWIPE from the ARHD thread to do the wipe.

The next is my personal set up. Yours may vary, but this works best for me. Hope some of it helps you.

I flash this ROM. Reboot into recovery once the flash is done. Then I flash v8 AOSP theme. Then I flash Nova Launcher and finally the ICS sound effects. Reboot into ROM. Do my set up then open up Titanium after I have installed the pro key (yes I paid, support the devs of your fave apps by buying their paid versions). Install all apps with data.

Restore my APN as well as my texts messages.

Next, I go into my build.prop and add the following into it (you can also use ROM Toolbox to do this, makes it ALOT easier honestly)

Force Launcher Into Memory (alot of Sense is removed, we got the RAM room)

ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1

Increase VM Heapsize (I set this to 64m actually)

dalvik.vm.heapsize=48m

Render UI with GPU (you just don't know how much smoother everything is until you see it run smoother with this tweak)

debug.sf.hw=1

Scrolling Responsiveness (still some stutter with scrolling, but much more tolerable after this)

windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=150

Increase Overall Touch Responsiveness

debug.performance.tuning=1
video.accelerate.hw=1

After having done this, I go back into System Tuner and do the following:

Go into CPU settings, set the governor to interactive, tap boot settings. I disable the OC Deamon, click "Force CPU1 Online" (basically telling it to run both cores). To offset some of the battery hit, I go to Screen Off Behavior, select On Demand governor with a max CPU speed of 540mhz. I leave the in call settings as is because I tend to do other things like look up information while in a call.

Set all the tweaks (such as sd card tweak, CPU settings, and Force ALL CPU Online) to run at boot completed. (as of 1.3, I now have them set as init.d script)

Reboot and I am done.

I am running smooth as butter, good battery life, and I have no complaints. Also remember, System Tuner is going to have force all cpu online greyed out. You need the paid version to get that option.

Hope this or some of it (in particular the build.prop tweaks) help because the tweaks along with forcing both cores online in the init.d help make ICS on the Senny one of the smoothest experiences to date.

Awesome guide man! Should be a stickie :) I did all the changes you suggested and my experience is much smoother. Thanks for this.

Quick question about Nova Launcher. Are we able to somehow have the 3 widgets/buttons on the bottom of the screen like the Galaxy Nexus? I've installed as a system file and I thought this was possible.

Also, how can I install ics sound effects? Do you have a flahable zip?

Sent from my HTC Sensation using XDA App

Last edited:

ManCityFC

Oct 3, 2010
It connects OK (can be hit and miss) and works as a headset. Can't seem to get A2DP audio or even contact access to work (prompting for permission to access PBAP but even though allowed, contacts are not sync'ing).

There can't be much wrong though as tethering seems to work.

If you can fix this, I will have your children.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

Hi Dev, this ROM is superb, but did you get a chance to look at this?

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

L

LLLeeo

Hi guys,
what I discovered is that you are not able to tether with this rom over WiFi. I wasn't able to change the SSID and the key of the WiFi hotspot. It said HTC Portable Hotspot and was secured with WPA/WPA2 pre-shared key. In my device settings it showed hotspot "null" enabled.

jmcdonald58

Apr 28, 2010
Fort Worth,Tx
twitter.com
1 day

I have ran this 1 day solid now and I will say its really nice and I have very few issues at all haven't really had time to mess with it much I did use the MMS apn posted earlier to get them to come through, good work battery is good appreciate the updates and support provided

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    inquisitionkopia.jpg

Virtuous Inquisition is a an ICS (4.0.3) Senseless ROM, meaning essentially all Sense components have been removed in favor of their AOSP counterparts. Everything except the camera app has been replaced. Any work, such as mods or fixes, you would like to contribute would be gladly accepted. The project has one goal, to provide a ROM which is as close-to-AOSP-ICS as possible.

• Based off the HTC 3.32.401.5 *release* base.

• Sense has effectively been removed. Some components may be coming back (such as the camera and music player), as they are better than their AOSP counterparts. I'll provide an option for purists who want AOSP-only-no-matter-what.

• Remaining HTC framework beautifully themed to match ICS by shnizlon.

• Stock kernel, not overclocked.

• Pre-rooted with the latest version of Superuser and modified ramdisk to allow adb remount, mock locations, etc.

• IO optimizations including the use of ext4 with writeback journaling for all mounts and larger read-ahead buffer for improved sdcard performance.

• Automated battery calibration. Just plug your phone in after a wipe and charge it to full (preferably overnight), then let our script do the rest.

• Over the air updates via ROM Manager.

More Information :: Download :: Change Log
    If you download, please take a moment to hit the "Thanks" button and rate the ROM.
    Report bugs, request features and follow general progress of the ROM nearly real time here:

Virtuous Development Tracker
    VI 4.0.2 Goodies by Socali

This post will kept updated with Fixes / Patches / Notes for VI 4.0.2 by Socali

=====

Important Kernel Files Reset for VI 4.0.2 by Socali

SebastianFM Kernel v1.4.1, which is included with VI 4.0.2, comes with Sebastian's own thermald.
    This thermald includes, in my opinion, extremely high temps settings. The problem is that those settings are hard-coded and are not read from the thermald.conf file.
    Other kernels are expecting the default thermald and not this custom one, so they are not overwriting it.

I strongly recommend flashing this before flashing any other kernel. Even in-between flashing different kernels, as different kernels might include other files that need to be replaced/removed.
    This patch will reset kernel related files that exist in the ROM's partition to the original HTC v3.32 default files.
    This does not include an actual kernel - you must flash a kernel after this patch and before rebooting the phone.

Download flashable: kernel-reset-vi402-socali.zip
    md5sum: e8453ea397855c3ecf42030734831a45

=====

Sebastian Kernel v1.30.2 Underclocked to 1.242Mhz for VI 4.0.2 by Socali

(This is the same kernel posted by me before, but in a new package that includes the Kernel Reset Patch, so you can simply download and flash one file.)

This is Sebastian Kernel v1.30.2 hexedited by me to underclock it to 1.242Mhz with a safer (or more conservative) thermald.conf file.
    This gives you kernel closest to the original HTC v3.32 one with Sebastian's MultiTouch fix and ZRAM support.
    I prefer keeping the CPU clock at 1.2mhz so that the CPU stays stable and cool and doesn't drain the battery as quickly.
    I hexedited it instead of recompiling so that I stay as close as possible to Sebastian's build.

Note: This kernel will give you lower benchmark scores (about 5700-5800 AnTuTu score on my phone). This is not a bug, it's a feature..

Download flashable: kernel-v1.30.2-uc-1.242mhz-socali.zip
    md5sum: b4f69d3be2ee48994e785160eb57c452

=====

Ultimate Quad Lockscreen v4 for VI 4.0.2 by Socali

96 Different customization combinations!
    New Aroma based installer - easier to install and choose the options you want.

Options include:
    1) Choose Full-ring (compatible with Accessibility) or Half-ring layout.
    2) Show/hide quadlock when pattern/PIN is set.
    3) Use Volume Keys to Wakeup the phone.
    4) Allow/disable notifications pull-down.
    5) Open one of the following apps:
    AOSP MMS, ChompSMS, HandcentSMS, GoSMS, PansiSMS, Google Voice.

Please note: 4Ext Touch Recovery is required for installation.

Download flashable: ultimate-quadlock-v4-vi402-socali.zip
    md5sum: 1f437396becb2f4847d56e04845d4491

=====

This is the result of hours of effort researching, fixing and testing. You're welcome! :)
    AOSP Phone With Mute Fix for VI 4.0.0 by Socali

AOSP Phone With Mute Fix for VI 4.0.0 by Socali

This is my fix to the AOSP Phone included with VI 4.0.0, that enables the mute button during calls.
    This one took a lot of time and research, but I finally got it! :D
    (For those who didn't know, the phone included in the rom does not mute - bug #984 on VI issue tracker)

Download flashable: aosp-phone-mute-fix-vi400-socali.zip
    md5sum: c14b5714b28e42232991c1694b91e526

This is the result of hours of effort researching, fixing and testing. You're welcome! :)