higher pixel density but looks similar to lower pix phone

Search This thread

Hate Android Lag

Dec 26, 2012
Raub
xperia z1 has 441 pixel density, but the display look similar to other lower pixel density phone like xperia sola. why?can someone explain? z1 shown on sony centre booth for hands on has a very crisp display, am i being cheated?

Reactions: Moze666

ilia1985

Oct 14, 2010
Al Ain
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
xperia z1 has 441 pixel density, but the display look similar to other lower pixel density phone like xperia sola. why?can someone explain? z1 shown on sony centre booth for hands on has a very crisp display, am i being cheated?

Well my friend its share you got this phone if can't tell the difference... How sharp the screen looks depends on the image it shows.... Also you can open any Internet browser on both z1 And sola As you mention, then open any web page with text And zoom in all the way if you still can't see the difference Then you need to get glasses or Have your eyes checked... Peace :)

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

olokos

Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2011
Warsaw
Well higher resolution means that you will see worse display from low quality material and epic quality from full HD material. DVD rips looked fine on my Xperia Play (480x854) and on XZ1 they don't look good.
If you have a big TV or monitor above 23" you surely will know what I'm talking about.
Websites, UI and stuff like this look perfectly fine. It's up to the resolution how does it look on the screen.

Wysłane z mojego C6903 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Reactions: ashouhdy

Minibull

Jan 14, 2014
I kinda noticed "grainyness" with the display when viewing videos. Really didn't like it at all, and it looked bad compared to the Xperia S I had been using a week prior.

Well, I found that while the X-Reality setting made colours "pop" in videos and pictures, things seemed to get kinda grainy looking. I've been running with it off for a few days now, and I reckon it looks much clearer now. Plus, vids and pics don't look like they have been artificially tweaked with.

Last edited:

mm79k

Jul 15, 2006
This is the worst 1080p screen I have ever seen in a mobile phone.

Phone is owesome, but the screen!!!

ashouhdy

Aug 22, 2009
Alexandria
don have any problems with the display ! its super sharp and to notice the diff. u need to view a full HD image any low quality pic will look worse as the display will DISPLAY more of it :) hope u got what i mean.

Another test open any PDf .. on 1080p displays you will read the texts much easier but on low ppi u will need to zoom in alittle to make it clear.

shook187

Oct 1, 2010
Haverhill MA
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I have to agree, this screen sucks compared to any other 1080p screen. But I have to admit there are moments when the screen makes me say wow that looks amazing but unfortunately the Sun moon and stars have to line up correctly for me to say that

Sent from my Xperia Z1s

Reactions: tele27

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
Sola is 3.7 inches and has a ppi of 265.

300 dpi is the norm when printing beyond which telling the difference gets harder.

you're about 40 ppi away from being able to tell the difference. The difference will not be that significant but if you look carefully it will be there. Which to you means the display looks similar. Had the sola screen been bigger and the ppi around 200 then the difference would have been more prominent when compared to Z1.

Written

Aug 10, 2012
Utrecht
Very, very happy with the screen here, nice and bright, sharp, lovely colours, especially when coming from an amoled. Even the viewing angles are not quite as bad as some complain and through my eyes, the white looks white.

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

taranfx

May 23, 2010
Mountain view, CA
geeknizer.com
Very, very happy with the screen here, nice and bright, sharp, lovely colours, especially when coming from an amoled. Even the viewing angles are not quite as bad as some complain and through my eyes, the white looks white.

Other than white, everything else looked great on AMOLED. Coming from Note.
Even when Compared to Nexus 5 LCD, Z1 display lacks lusture. Nexus 5 and other 1080p display phones have amazing contrast and colors.

Written

Aug 10, 2012
Utrecht
Other than white, everything else looked great on AMOLED. Coming from Note.
Even when Compared to Nexus 5 LCD, Z1 display lacks lusture. Nexus 5 and other 1080p display phones have amazing contrast and colors.

Come from a note too, honestly enjoyed Amoled, however, I am really not sure where the complaints are coming from.

There's some threads claiming not all the screens are the same, I'm either viewing my display from tired eyes or I got lucky, no idea.

Put it this way, side by side with my wife's note 3, the only thing I'm jealous about is the IR blaster.

Hate Android Lag

Dec 26, 2012
Raub
Well my friend its share you got this phone if can't tell the difference... How sharp the screen looks depends on the image it shows.... Also you can open any Internet browser on both z1 And sola As you mention, then open any web page with text And zoom in all the way if you still can't see the difference Then you need to get glasses or Have your eyes checked... Peace :)

well, on the same vintage theme(stock theme), i noticed that the theme looks sharper & crispier in the z1 at sony booth. in my z1, the vintage theme doesnt looks sharp & crisp, just normal.

transitcheck

Jan 26, 2014
I checked other phones including G2, Note 3, S4. Z1 has no match. But I hear Sony uses different brands of displays for the variants of its phones. If it's true, different users from different areas around the world will have different results. I watched full hd movies, pictures, photos from z1. The results are significantly better than other high end phones. But do not expect hight quality resolution from low quality media. You can't have it. That's why SD broadcast sucks at full hd screens. I even witnessed 4K television showed a full hd video in very low qualty.

Reactions: Gamer4Life

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well higher resolution means that you will see worse display from low quality material and epic quality from full HD material. DVD rips looked fine on my Xperia Play (480x854) and on XZ1 they don't look good.
    If you have a big TV or monitor above 23" you surely will know what I'm talking about.
    Websites, UI and stuff like this look perfectly fine. It's up to the resolution how does it look on the screen.

Wysłane z mojego C6903 przy użyciu Tapatalka
    I have to agree, this screen sucks compared to any other 1080p screen. But I have to admit there are moments when the screen makes me say wow that looks amazing but unfortunately the Sun moon and stars have to line up correctly for me to say that

Sent from my Xperia Z1s
    I checked other phones including G2, Note 3, S4. Z1 has no match. But I hear Sony uses different brands of displays for the variants of its phones. If it's true, different users from different areas around the world will have different results. I watched full hd movies, pictures, photos from z1. The results are significantly better than other high end phones. But do not expect hight quality resolution from low quality media. You can't have it. That's why SD broadcast sucks at full hd screens. I even witnessed 4K television showed a full hd video in very low qualty.