Simple conversion of KF V1 to Nexus Android

Search This thread

Mebejedi

Feb 14, 2014
Okay, semi-newb here. I've been able to replace the ROM on an Arnova tablet a year ago, and sideloaded Google play on a Polaroid tablet. I've been researching the simplest way to turn my Mom's Kindle Fire V1 into a simple android tablet with access to Google Play. If I can accomplish this, then I'm hoping to repeat the process on my son's Kindle Fire HD. I'd like to load one of the Nexus 7 Roms. Unfortunately, there's a /lot/ of different Nexus ROMs and methods, each with links to other software that I'm trying to understand. Please forgive my questions...

I've downloaded these apps:
-gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip
-GooManager_2.1.3.apk
-Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9.zip
-SmoothROM-1.7_otter.zip
-Smirkit.apk

I started at this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2265999

Which led me to this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2103278

"Installation
-Make sure you have the latest TWRP"

Is this in the goomanager file? I downloaded from this link, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1592681, but I don't see the screen that shows up in the OP, and I'm not entirely sure what to do with this program.

"-I suggest you make a backup"
Is this what TWRP is for? I've copied all the KF files onto my computer already, but I don't have an .img file. And if I want to reflash with the original files, do I need to create an .img of my existing files, or do I download one from the list of files that I see in the goomanager?

"-Wipe data, cache, system, and dalvik cache"
Do I use one of these files to do this, or do I go into the KF settings to do this?

-Install ROM
Do I just copy the boot.img over to the root directory of the KF. I recall doing this for the Arnova.

-Install the latest gapps for CM10.1.x
Again, do I use one of these programs to do so, or copy files over (side-load)? I don't see .apk files in this package

-Reboot
I think I can do this one. :p

Again, sorry for being a newb...I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. Haven't bricked a tablet yet, but I've probably just been lucky so far.

Thanks in advance. (Oh, do I need the fastboot cable for any of this? Is it recommended to get one just in case?)

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Ok lemme get to things straight, this is the kfhd forum, if you have a kindle fire 1 then this is technically the wrong forum but i will point you in the right direction becasue theres some things you need to understand. First off the kindle fire 1 is very very easy to do what you want to do to it. Basically you download kindle fire utility and it will root and install whatever recovery you want onto it and from there you grab rom's from the kindle fire 1's development section and you can flash them with the corresponding gapps.

Here's where the important thing is, if you want to do this to a hd model it isnt the same process, if you attempt to use kindle fire utility on a hd model you are likely to hard brick it because the hd has a locked bootloader. The hd has a simple enough method to flash it though, as long its not the 2013 model you can install roms on it, theres a tutorial for installing with fireflash that i think is the easiest method as long as you make sure to downgrade the bootloader, somehow people tend to miss the checkbox for it.

If you mention which hd you have i cna link you to the tutorial for it but i don't wanna send you the wrong one even though there really isnt much of a difference since its the same program and inlcudes the files in teh apk.

Now to answer some questions:

First off the backup in twrp is useful yes, but only if you have twrp installed, lets say something happens and you no longer can access recovery and are forced to use fastboot, in that case you would need the image files that you mentioned, those images can be downloaded off the internet or you can jsut backup up your kindle and use those images.

Second: The wipe options are in twrp once you have it working

Third: You don't copy the boot.img over, you hit install in twrp and select the zip file that is the rom and tell it to flash.

Fourth: do as said in previous step, just do it after you flash teh rom though.

and finally yes its kinda recommended to have a fastboot cable, though i am one to talk since i don't have one but i have the means to make one at any time. Hope this helps!

Also thought i'd mention if it turned out to be a kindle fire 2 that its process is similar to the hd's so dont use kindle fire utility on it either. You can always check software version that it has installed an i can tell you for sure what model it is.

Last edited: