[Q] Tethering as a wifi adapter

Search This thread

ruler501

Oct 14, 2012
I'm on the Infinity ROM and looking to use my phone as a wifi adapter. I used to be able to just disable Mobile Data and turn on usb tethering but this ROM seems to automatically turn off wifi when I turn on tethering. Is there any way to get around this? I'd like to at least get to use it to tether if not as a native adapter(connect to wifi from computer instead of setting it up on phone).

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Not using your particular ROM. Nor will the majority of people reading this thread. Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to ask in the support thread for that custom ROM?

Alternately, what you are trying to do is usually referred to as reverse tethering.
So look in the Play store for reverse tethering apps e.g. this or this.

The OP prolly can't post in development threads due to post count.

And what they want is NOT reverse tethering. Reverse tethering is using the computer internet on the phone. Meaning, the phone does not have a data connection or a wifi connection and wants to obtain internet through the USB port (meaning computer)

What the OP described is the proper way to tether the WiFi connection of the phone to the computer. Not sure why its turning off his WiFi.

OP, if you turn on USB tethering and disable data, then turn on wifi, what happens?

ruler501

Oct 14, 2012
The OP prolly can't post in development threads due to post count.

And what they want is NOT reverse tethering. Reverse tethering is using the computer internet on the phone. Meaning, the phone does not have a data connection or a wifi connection and wants to obtain internet through the USB port (meaning computer)

What the OP described is the proper way to tether the WiFi connection of the phone to the computer. Not sure why its turning off his WiFi.

OP, if you turn on USB tethering and disable data, then turn on wifi, what happens?

You are correct that I can't post in the development thread because of post count.

When I try turning wifi back on after turning on tethering it gets a popup saying that turning on wifi turns off usb tethering.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
You are correct that I can't post in the development thread because of post count.

When I try turning wifi back on after turning on tethering it gets a popup saying that turning on wifi turns off usb tethering.

Hm, thats strange. I can try to make an xposed module to disable that?

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
I'm actually able to post now so I posted in their thread to see if they could tell me how to fix it.

Otherwise do you have any ROMs to recommend that have wifi tethering available?

Mine once i release it lol. Other than that, just try different ones in the development thread :)