Popular Stable ROM for the Thunderbolt

Search This thread

cdf3

Mar 15, 2011
Glad I stumbled upon this thread. I've been searching for a good ROM to install. I saw that quite a few users like Thundershed 1.4
When I searched online for the installation files, I came across Thundershed 1.5
Ended up downloading v1.5
Took me a minute to go through the steps of getting a GPS lock, but after following the steps I now have GPS.
Ready to give this ROM a try.

Edit: The ROM is fast but I think I'm ready to ditch it. Phone has frozen twice on me and I haven't had it I installed a full day yet. 2 battery pulls so far. MMS was acting funny for a while as well.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mi7chy

Oct 26, 2008
I tend to avoid highly customized ROMs because they tend to lack proper and thorough QA, introduce issues with the many changes and also affect stability. I stick to mostly stock ROMs and have seen uptime >800 hours. The two I would recommend are:

Ginger BreadRock (Android 2.3.4, Sense 2.1)
http://www.htcthunderbolt4g.com/htc...breadrockv1-0-v1-1-(newest-gingerbread-leak)/

OpenMobile (Android 2.3.6, Sense 3.0)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1457659
I'm currently running this for its newer Android and Sense builds plus it has native working HotSpot and it doesn't have the carrier garbage apps. The new radios transition properly to EVDO when LTE is down. There are a few minor quirks but the pros far outweigh them.

PieceKeepr

Jun 13, 2010
Florida
OnePlus 8 Pro
ThunderShed is the way to go. When I rooted I turned the GPS on and left it on throughout the process. I got a lock during each step using GPS Status and Toolbox and went from stock to rooted to ThunderShed without the Sense ROM / nandroid hassle.

Sent from my ThunderSheded Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

donnyp1

May 7, 2008
Wichita
I tend to avoid highly customized ROMs because they tend to lack proper and thorough QA, introduce issues with the many changes and also affect stability. I stick to mostly stock ROMs and have seen uptime >800 hours. The two I would recommend are:

http://www.htcthunderbolt4g.com/htc...breadrockv1-0-v1-1-(newest-gingerbread-leak)/

I'm currently running this for its newer Android and Sense builds plus it has native working HotSpot and it doesn't have the carrier garbage apps. The new radios transition properly to EVDO when LTE is down. There are a few minor quirks but the pros far outweigh them.

+1

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA

LightDark

Dec 31, 2011
Personally I am a fan of the Eternity series because of the capabilities of sense 3.5. And it also has very little to no lag.

takylo

Mar 29, 2010
Raleigh
Great Feedback

All, thank you for the great feedback. I decided to try Eternity. I must say I love the stability and the battery life. Way superior to my Droid Charge. On my Charge if I didn't charge it over night I would wakeup to a dead battery. :mad: With this rom and phone I can get a good day and a half. :D

I will experiment with some of the others that you folks mention. Also I have the CPU set "ondemand" @ 1.5g I'm totally sold on HTC. I hope that the HTC One will come to Verizon.
Again, thanks for the all the info and feedback. XDA Rocks!

ponyboy82

Apr 13, 2011
I finally just rooted and rom'd and tried Bamf SoaB first. It was nice but I guess I wasn't blown away. Based on suggestions here I then tried Liquid with the Imo kernel and fell in love. This is how the phone SHOULD feel! No lag and great battery life to boot. I just ran it down and got a little over 36 hours of "normal" usage (for me) with 30% charge left.

evgeny71

Mar 30, 2012
Skyraider 1.3 is awesome rom !!
:thumbup:
Sent from my T-Bolt using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mi7chy

Oct 26, 2008
Don't know what was modified in OpenMobile and Thunderstick but they both random reboot over a course of a day or two. Unacceptable to have phone reboot while depending on it for GPS navigation while on the road. Back to Ginger Breadrock 3.1a which has been stable with 124 hour uptime.

jelleephish

Feb 25, 2011
Not sure about the Non-Sense roms, I've heard good things about them....as far as others go, if you like or use wifi fairly frequently I would not use a 3.5 sense based rom until they figure the issue with that out.

I like SkyRaider for sense based, runs the smoothest in my opinion.:)

donnyp1

May 7, 2008
Wichita
Not sure about the Non-Sense roms, I've heard good things about them....as far as others go, if you like or use wifi fairly frequently I would not use a 3.5 sense based rom until they figure the issue with that out.

There has been no issue with wifi for me on any sense 3.5 rom.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA

quickdraw86

Feb 1, 2012
Harrisburg, SD

If you're thinking about trying a non-sense, or desensed rom, try airborne or happy trails. both of those roms are awesome, smooth, and as far as my use goes, i have yet to experience issues with either of them, everything works.

takylo

Mar 29, 2010
Raleigh
Okay folks I decided to leave Eternity and try Liquid Smooth. This AOSP was great in the beginning but then I notice my battery wasn't as good. I decided to go bank to Sense ROM. So far Gingeritis 3S v1.2 with Sense 3.0 is working great! I'll hang with this one for a bit.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk v2

calaeb08

Apr 18, 2012
have you tried airbourne? great rom super fast and stable, i can go all day on stock battery with normal use.

jelleephish

Feb 25, 2011
Any 3.5 sense rom I am on always causes me to intermittently drop wifi. It just drops the connection, refreshes and is back in a few seconds. I have seen posts about it on the different posts for the roms so I know its not just me. I have tried wi-fi lock, advanced wi-fi lock and others with no luck. I just accepted it as part of the rom and moved on with it. I loved the sense 3.5 rom, look and all but eventually got annoyed at the drops.

Gingeritis is a great rom, I've used it before. The only reason I left it was because of the VVM I needed to have. I flashed the zip that was posted as a fix but every time it would cause me to somehow break my access to the Mik settings lol. If its not one thing its another!!

Enjoy it, great rom!!:)

turbosrrgood

All,
I decided to put my Droid Charge in my desk draw. Just got a used Thunderbolt I know that there a battery issues with the device. once I would if I will be looking for a new ROM. can someone tell me which rom will make the phone snappy great battery and pretty cool. Xda ROCKS!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

This doesn't directly answer your question, but if you are looking to extend battery life you could try an app like "Battery Defender". It is very simple, reliable, and easy to use. It works by turning off your data connection when the screen is off (Data is the single biggest drain on a phone after the screen). Turning off data does NOT prevent you from getting txt's or phone calls, they would come through as always. Using this more than doubles my battery life, and is almost unnoticeable otherwise.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Okay folks I decided to leave Eternity and try Liquid Smooth. This AOSP was great in the beginning but then I notice my battery wasn't as good. I decided to go bank to Sense ROM. So far Gingeritis 3S v1.2 with Sense 3.0 is working great! I'll hang with this one for a bit.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk v2

Excellent choice IMO, that's what I use.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All,
    I decided to put my Droid Charge in my desk draw. Just got a used Thunderbolt I know that there a battery issues with the device. once I would if I will be looking for a new ROM. can someone tell me which rom will make the phone snappy great battery and pretty cool. Xda ROCKS!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

dude, thanks for posting this. Wife has been running Gingerbread rock 3.1 since last year sometime. She just wants a stock optimized rom. Then the damnnn OTA kept trying to install and jacking everything up. Guess its time for an update.