which wifi tether profile settings work?

Search This thread

1chris89

I'm trying to get WiFi tethering working on the root app that allows to set the profile etc... What exact settings work on the HTC first?

Thx

1chris89

I have found MEDUSA v1.0 is the least flawed of all the available. It's far from ideal but it is dependable.

CWM and S-OFF your device and give Medusa v1.0 a shot and try out the wicked 7-23 dated 1.728ghz kernel!

No tethering yet but there appears to be a way to mod it to get it to work manually editing files.

imeicodes

Feb 24, 2010
I have found MEDUSA v1.0 is the least flawed of all the available. It's far from ideal but it is dependable.

CWM and S-OFF your device and give Medusa v1.0 a shot and try out the wicked 7-23 dated 1.728ghz kernel!

No tethering yet but there appears to be a way to mod it to get it to work manually editing files.

i checked but not working any other solution i flash that rom which u write up there

any other way or any other modification ?

Norrick

Nov 22, 2008
I have the ATT unlocked version of the First. Rooted, S-off, Wifi tethering app, set to profile wlan0, I think i had to enable one of the checkboxes for reloading wifi-driver or it would stay stuck on or off and wouldn't toggle nicely, but for me the problem was I could connect to the wifi, but get no data through.

Turns out the carrier is blocking all the public DNS servers (so if you knew the actual IP address of a website, you could go there but clicking on virtually any link would get you nowhere since they are associated with additional url's and not IP addresses.

Fix was to uncheck the box on my laptop that says automatically retrieve DNS settings and manually set the preferred DNS server to whatever your phone uses (which there are apps on the marketplace that display the information). Make sure when getting your phones DNS info you are using the cellular connection and not the wifi. If you are tethering from mobile device to another, say a tablet then you'll need another app (for said tablet) that lets you change the devices DNS settings (not sure but that might also require root).

I just noticed that the wifi tether app i am using also has DNS settings but I haven't messed with that.

The app I used to get my carriers DNS was CompruebaIP

hopes this help, I found this on some obscure forum post after hours of searching and it solved my problem.

Last edited:

snath83

Dec 13, 2010
Wifi tether - telephony.db files

Not sure if this will help.

I created two telephony.db files which can be renamed-pasted to /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases
Should eliminate the wifi tether check. Attached is the zip.

Make sure:
1. Get a backup copy of your current telephony.db
2. You rename the replacement file you use to telephony.db before copying.
3. Phone is rooted.

Also please let me know if this helps

regards,
snath83