Cheap Lens?

Search This thread

jaaystott

Feb 9, 2011
Chelsea
www.twitter.com
I'm not sure if I'm correct in assuming it is a lens, however has anyone noticed just what awful quality the glass covering the camera on the back of the phone is? The depth sensing camera seems to be a completely different glass to the glass the actual shooting camera.

I have noticed that it picks smudges up so easy, and it is near impossible to clean them off. Even with a fibre cloth, is still leaves marks on there! Also, it's super easy to scratch. I have kept my phone in a case since day one, and it's got multiple hairline scratches on it. A lot of the time people report the HTC One M8 as taking bad pictures, in reality it's because the lens is smudged because when you clean it up it looks better. It seems like HTC have literally just slapped a piece of untreated glass on there, it's worse than a mirror for marks!

mushages

Sep 2, 2009
Muscat
I'm not sure if I'm correct in assuming it is a lens, however has anyone noticed just what awful quality the glass covering the camera on the back of the phone is? The depth sensing camera seems to be a completely different glass to the glass the actual shooting camera.

I have noticed that it picks smudges up so easy, and it is near impossible to clean them off. Even with a fibre cloth, is still leaves marks on there! Also, it's super easy to scratch. I have kept my phone in a case since day one, and it's got multiple hairline scratches on it. A lot of the time people report the HTC One M8 as taking bad pictures, in reality it's because the lens is smudged because when you clean it up it looks better. It seems like HTC have literally just slapped a piece of untreated glass on there, it's worse than a mirror for marks!

You may want to add that the 4UP camera we are having can see stuff that other cameras can't see. In example dust where you can see that we can see dust more than any other camera in the market when taking a picture in a dusty surface. Yes I agree with you I always wipe my lens before wanting to take a good picture.

altimax98

Nov 7, 2008
Florida

I agree about the smudging, alot of times I will pull out my phone to shoot something and notice alot of glaring on lights and 99% of it is because of the lens being smudges.

I wonder if a oleophobic coating will help it resist smudging.. I also am thinking of grabbing the Nilkin Glass screen protector since it has a camera cover as well

sameer1807

Dec 7, 2011
Definitely used the cheapest type of glass for the lens covers and even optical glass..color fringing, vignetting and ghosting plague this camera..guess they spent all of their costs on the metal build and speakers..just sad

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

UgXvibe

Mar 7, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Do your 'scratches' look like this?
IMG_0076.jpg

jaaystott

Feb 9, 2011
Chelsea
www.twitter.com
Do your 'scratches' look like this?
View attachment 2728935

Yeah, exactly like that. You need the light to see them, but I'm sure they are affecting image quality. It's actually making me consider switching to the Galaxy S5. I use my camera a lot, but for things like Instagram and Social Sharing so the megapixel count was never a big deal to me, what is a big deal is treating my phone with all the love and care I can and ending up with ridiculous scratches like that!

UgXvibe

Mar 7, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, exactly like that. You need the light to see them, but I'm sure they are affecting image quality. It's actually making me consider switching to the Galaxy S5. I use my camera a lot, but for things like Instagram and Social Sharing so the megapixel count was never a big deal to me, what is a big deal is treating my phone with all the love and care I can and ending up with ridiculous scratches like that!

I hear ya. I am anal about keeping all my phones pristine. Seems that its dangerous to post about this on forums because it turns into "People need to take more care of their phone" posts which is enraging. If I did it, I would admit it..

The fact that it is getting worse over time even though I am completely keeping it away from anything that would even remotely scratch it is annoying.. :(

I opened a case with HTC and I will send it to them. If they say it's abuse I'm not sure what I'll do.

Last edited:

jaaystott

Feb 9, 2011
Chelsea
www.twitter.com
I hear ya. I am anal about keeping all my phones pristine. Seems that its dangerous to post about this on forums because it turns into "People need to take more care of their phone" posts which is enraging. If I did it, I would admit it..

The fact that it is getting worse over time even though I am completely keeping it away from anything that would even remotely scratch it is annoying.. :(

It's unacceptable, I had the M7 last year and it didn't scratch like this, and look carefully at your second camera... the lens seems a lot stronger.

Glad someone feels the same!

Reactions: UgXvibe

UgXvibe

Mar 7, 2009
Raleigh, NC
It's unacceptable, I had the M7 last year and it didn't scratch like this, and look carefully at your second camera... the lens seems a lot stronger.

I compared it to my M7 that I had over a year and not a scratch.. I carry this phone the exact same way. Puzzling to say the least.

jaaystott

Feb 9, 2011
Chelsea
www.twitter.com
Yes, completely unusable at this point. >> http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52461742&postcount=422

I am a strong defender of the 4MP camera on this phone and have advertised my pics everywhere.. can't do that anymore.
My M8 album.. https://www.flickr.com/photos/50177155@N07/sets/72157643182480033/

I'm going to contact my Carrier tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement, just tell them the device is faulty or something and in the meantime I'm going to try and get a rear screen protector. I think HTC really did skimp on the quality of the lens here. Not good.

UgXvibe

Mar 7, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm going to contact my Carrier tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement, just tell them the device is faulty or something and in the meantime I'm going to try and get a rear screen protector. I think HTC really did skimp on the quality of the lens here. Not good.

If HTC denies repairs I may go the Verizon route and see what can be done.. I have insurance on the phone so we'll see..

I saw someone advertise these today.. http://www.slickwraps.com/HTC-One-M8-Lens-Protector-p/sw-htconem8-lenspro.htm
I will definitely do this with a new lens.

jaaystott

Feb 9, 2011
Chelsea
www.twitter.com
If HTC denies repairs I may go the Verizon route and see what can be done.. I have insurance on the phone so we'll see..

I saw someone advertise these today.. http://www.slickwraps.com/HTC-One-M8-Lens-Protector-p/sw-htconem8-lenspro.htm
I will definitely do this with a new lens.

Good luck, I hope you manage to resolve it. Not to go off topic, but in your Album how did you manage to get that close-up of the moon? It looks awesome, but I'm scratching my head here as to how you did it!

In regards to the protectors, for $3 they are more than worth it, I just find it ridiculous that I'm having to.

its_dale

Nov 26, 2012
I had the same problem. I spoke with ATT (30 days after having the phone) and complained about the lens and how it affects my pictures greatly. I had told them that HTC referred me to my carrier (which they did). ATT said all they can do was refer me to the warranty department, as i did not want to have to pay a $199 deductible on insurance for a build quality issue. I called and explained to the warranty guy that the phone is in EXCELLENT condition with the exception of the lens. All bezels around both DUO lens and rear camera are in perfect condition, no scratches on the screen, no water damage etc. He went and got confirmation that it did fall within warranty policy, stating that "the lens scratches are okay per the examiners". They shipped me a "like new" phone Thursday night. i received it yesterday and pretty sure the phone is brand new. I had ordered a Nillkin screen/camera protector and applied it last night. I also ordered the new lens protectors from Slick Wraps. I sent my old phone back today.

They did give me an option to go to a nearest ATT warranty facility and swap phones, but i did not feel like driving about 30 miles.

Last edited:

UgXvibe

Mar 7, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I had the same problem. I spoke with ATT (30 days after having the phone) and complained about the lens and how it affects my pictures greatly. I had told them that HTC referred me to my carrier (which they did). ATT said all they can do was refer me to the warranty department, as i did not want to have to pay a $199 deductible on insurance for a build quality issue. I called and explained to the warranty guy that the phone is in EXCELLENT condition with the exception of the lens. All bezels around both DUO lens and rear camera are in perfect condition, no scratches on the screen, no water damage etc. He went and got confirmation that it did fall within warranty policy, stating that "the lens scratches are okay per the examiners". They shipped me a "like new" phone Thursday night. i received it yesterday and pretty sure the phone is brand new. I had ordered a Nillkin screen/camera protector and applied it last night. I also ordered the new lens protectors from Slick Wraps. I sent my old phone back today.

They did give me an option to go to a nearest ATT warranty facility and swap phones, but i did not feel like driving about 30 miles.

So you got a new phone through ATT and not HTC correct? I am shipping mine off to HTC tomorrow. I spoke with Jason Mackenzie from HTC about my issue and he assures me it will be taken care of.. we'll see.

devilsdouble

Nov 26, 2013
New Delhi
Thank God there are people who still talk about actual problems. If I didn't find this topic I would have gone on and buy it on 11th, Jeez! This is a childish thing, it's beyond me how on earth hTC released a phone with some cheap plastic / glass or whatever that bloody thing is.

Still asking, this is happening with all devices right? I mean it's just not a defective batch, but the whole package of M8, worldwide?

UgXvibe

Mar 7, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Thank God there are people who still talk about actual problems. If I didn't find this topic I would have gone on and buy it on 11th, Jeez! This is a childish thing, it's beyond me how on earth hTC released a phone with some cheap plastic / glass or whatever that bloody thing is.

Still asking, this is happening with all devices right? I mean it's just not a defective batch, but the whole package of M8, worldwide?

Im thinking this lens thing is not an epidemic. There aren't many people with this concern. I bet it was a batch of phone lenses that didn't get treated or something. Besides this i have no problems at all with the phone.. Cant wait to get it back actually.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Reactions: devilsdouble

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi. Where have you seen others do this? Cant find any thread. Ta.

There is a thread in another "android" forum. It was "central" to my understanding the process in repairing it myself.
    Haha, and now they will wonder why you wanted another phone.. this sounds dumb but what kind of toothpaste? And did it leave any kinda markings after you used it?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Aqua fresh. I used a very soft t shirt. Gently went in a circular motion for a total of around 10 minutes polishing time and cleaned with mild windex in between applying note toothpaste. Scratches slowly began disappearing. So I continued. A bit aggravating but in the end it polished the lens to like new. Worth the effort and pics are excellent again.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Im thinking this lens thing is not an epidemic. There aren't many people with this concern. I bet it was a batch of phone lenses that didn't get treated or something. Besides this i have no problems at all with the phone.. Cant wait to get it back actually.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I got mine on release. Always set to on its back, camera down. Phone is always with me, I toss it down amongst the mess in my center console of my car all the time (Camera side down of course), on tables, counters, knee walls, at work - anything. Have not managed to get a single scratch on mine. I took it outside in the sunlight to look, and inside with an LED light from all different angles. Nothing.

As someone else said, a thread like this is always going to have more people with the "problem" than not. (Which in this case is like 4 (give or take) people that have the issue?) If you go and read into the forums of ANY phone, you're going to find people with some kind of problem, something defective, sometimes limited to a handful of people - sometimes not. It appears in this case, its not widespread. Just imo