[Q] Worthy replacement for Rezound? Keep unlimited data?

Search This thread

md303

Aug 1, 2010
Hi all, I'm looking for a new phone to replace my Rezound. The Rez has been a great phone with CM10.1 installed, does everything I need and fairly quick too.

Here are my main criteria for selecting a new device (in order of importance):

Ability to keep my unlimited data plan, I'd rather not interact with VZW at all.
CM11 support with working camera/corder, navigation, and wifi tethering
Easy reliable root/s-off process
Excellent camera hardware. SGS5's kinda sucks, One M8 not bad, and we can't use LG GPro2 on VZW.
Excellent battery life, or option for extended battery. (With my usage habits I can get >52 hours from of my Rezound's extended batt and Kernel Tuner)
>32GB storage, prefferrably removable SDcard

As for keeping my data plan, I hope all I have to do is buy a phone from a 3rd party, swap in my SIM and continue life as normal. I know the current phones now use the mini-SIM or whatever, and that a normal SIM can be trimmed to fit. Will this work or do I have no choice but to involve VZW in the upgrade?

Thanks!

Last edited:

acejavelin

Inactive Recognized Contributor
The LG G2 is a good phone and it's battery will far surpass just about anything else out there, you can snag one for about $250-$300 on Swappa.com. It will meet most of your requirements.

If money isn't really a problem, I would wait and get the LG G3 and buy it outright.

As far as the SIM goes, just get a cheap cutter on Amazon or eBay, they work fine... even if you mess it up just take it in to a Verizon store and they will give you new one.

md303

Aug 1, 2010
The LG G2 is a good phone and it's battery will far surpass just about anything else out there, you can snag one for about $250-$300 on Swappa.com. It will meet most of your requirements.

If money isn't really a problem, I would wait and get the LG G3 and buy it outright.

As far as the SIM goes, just get a cheap cutter on Amazon or eBay, they work fine... even if you mess it up just take it in to a Verizon store and they will give you new one.

G3 is not an option yet, bootloader is still locked and no AOSP ROMs.

One M8 looking like the best option at this point. :good:

acejavelin

Inactive Recognized Contributor
G3 is not an option yet, bootloader is still locked and no AOSP ROMs.

One M8 looking like the best option at this point. :good:
You would likely be happy with either the G2, M8, or the G3... it is only a matter of time before the G3 is "broke" and ROMs will flood it, it's a flagship device with premium hardware and capabilities so devs will flock to it. We don't have an M8, either at home or work (odd, since we have over 60 cell phones at work), so I can't speak directly to it's battery life or capabilities but the people with M7s sure like them.

On a side note, it is interesting that Verizon is not preloading the G3 with Bloatware, it is downloaded and installed during the setup process (data free), and most can be uninstalled. Interesting change of "business as usual" for Verizon...

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
M8 is amazing! :good: I personally love it. Has a great battery life for me. I've pulled a good 6 hours SoT before, with an average of 5-5:30 hours of SoT. May not match the G2 or G3 but for a person who loves sense 5/6 (6 is stock) it's amazing!! :good:

Sent from my HTC One M8 Running Liquid Smooth. S-OFF

Snuzzo

Account currently disabled
Dec 31, 2010
https://t.me/pump_upp
t.me
M8 is amazing! :good: I personally love it. Has a great battery life for me. I've pulled a good 6 hours SoT before, with an average of 5-5:30 hours of SoT. May not match the G2 or G3 but for a person who loves sense 5/6 (6 is stock) it's amazing!! :good:

Actually its not too far off. Max Ive pulled was a smidgen less than 7hrs. My take on the M8 G2 or G3 debackle;

M8 if you like Sense and if custom romming dont mind a small bug or six.
G2 if you're into custom roms and don't mind a bug here and there before getting corrected(stock rom is still great).
G3 if you're more into a probability of not getting custom roms(stock would be ok with you) but getting better hardware to surpass both.

Reactions: pball52998

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
Actually its not too far off. Max Ive pulled was a smidgen less than 7hrs. My take on the M8 G2 or G3 debackle;

G2 if you're into custom roms and don't mind a bug here and there before getting corrected(stock rom is still great).
G3 if you're more into a probability of not getting custom roms(stock would be ok with you) but getting better hardware to surpass both.

Surprisingly M8 ROMs are getting bugs ironed out. Thank god I wasn't around during the encryption bug lol. The biggest bug right now is speakerphone not working right. As for the G3 it has the 801 and 3GB of RAM right? To me that's almost overkill... Isn't a 801 and 2GB enough :p but the camera. G3 has an awesome camera though. If I didn't like sense (I personally love it) I would have definitely gotten the G3. Hands down.

Sent from my HTC One M8 running Insert Coin. S-OFF.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.