[PROJECT]How to improve graphics performance-Need developers, read post #2!

Search This thread

NeoS

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jan 27, 2008
Somewhere in NL
==========================================================
News and updates in post #2.
*** PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE INSTALLING OR FLASHING ANY SOFTWARE POSTED IN THIS THREAD ***

The software posted here is for TESTING purposes only! Any of the posters of software, or links to software on this thread take absolutely no responsibility or liability for damage caused by the result of installing or flashing software or links to software found on this thread - correctly or otherwise, you do so on the sole understanding that you do so at your own risk.

WIKI PAGE ABOUT DRIVER DEVELOPMENT FOR MSM720X DEVICES
image courtesy of tsalta. Thanks mate.
tsaltest.jpg

Also, try GFXboost. It's cool to see the device CAN go beyond the normal speeds.
Installation: Disable Manila or Titanium before installing the cabfile. It's to make sure there are no files in use when copying the files. If you have an older version of the driverpack installed, best thing to do is a hard-reset. I know, it sucks. But believe me, it's best for your device.

MOD EDIT - Added NeoS, Magnif, Chainfire & topaz driver cabs

Attachments

• NeoS2007_Driverpack_3.cab
    1 MB · Views: 5,387
  • Chainfire-HD2-3D-Driver-Patch-1.1.cab
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,394
  • Driverpack_signed_2010.cab
    1 MB · Views: 6,597
Last edited:

NeoS

Jan 27, 2008
Somewhere in NL
Updates and FAQ

Updates:

======================================
  • 22-06-10: Benchmark added by tusuka: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=347300&d=1277159324
  • 18-04-10: The MSM chipset needs YOU! Please look at this post if you're interested in continuing driver development!

• 10-03-10: I retire from driver development for two reasons. 1.) http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5842057&postcount=1861. and 2.) I've moved on to A Nexus One. Awesome device, twice as good as the Blackstone could ever be. (and not as retardedly big as the HD2 ;))

• 11-02-10: Added a signed driverpack to the first post. Hope it'll give improvement on Manila 2.5 roms and no lock-ups... I know my device runs perfectly fine and smooth(er) with the driver.

• 18-01-10: Benchmark of 4 driverpacks on a stock 6.1 rom. -Thanks FileFixer!

• 30-11-09: It's done. I officially stop doing anything driver related, until i get more time. I simply lack the time, knowledge and support to keep going on. If you feel like helping out coördinating, send me a pm.

• 24-09-09: Driverpack 3 released. Please report any bugs on the thread. Here's a benchmark:
    attachment.php

• 21-09-09: GLbenchmark comparison with Driverpack 3 (in development)

• 16-09-09: Testing new driverpack on Touch HD. Shows improvement in Manila 2.5. Needs to be tweaked further.

• 26-07-09: New files seem to have shed a whole different light on our current drivers; we need to fully investigate what they do and how to get them working. Updates will be made once we have more info on this subject. Please, have patience!

• 30-06-09: DriverPack Beta 2 released. Bugfixes done. See here

• 23-06-09: Updated the F.A.Q. and bugfixing the current BETA pack.

• 19-06-09: Driver pack BETA released. Find it HERE.

• 14-06-09: Laurentius26 cooked our drivers in his latest rom and got amazing results: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=3304864&postcount=4

• 01-06-09: Created a quick-to-install full cab package for the OpenGL & OpenVG driver combined. Currently being tested by the team.

• 06-05-09: Set up a Dev & Test team, inviting users with dev skills or something similar.

• 24-04-09: Finally fruits of labour; the new openVG driver gives improvement combined with a new Libgles_cm.dll.
    See: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=3685655&postcount=793

• 09-04-09: Testing with the OpenVG driver provided by Fards and itje

• 05-02-09: User Laurentius26 provided us with a zip containing display driver files from an LG Incite.

• 28-01-09: Thanks to user Chainfire the list of files on the wiki page is updated. Check it out for more info.

• 27-01-09: Wiki page started about driver development

• 13-01-09: User fards uploaded a signed HTCapi.dll for use with the driver, found here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=3159939&postcount=196

• 23-12-08: added minor explanation on what the 3D driver is and does, and how to see performance improvements:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=3076202&postcount=153

• 22-12-08: Added 3D driver link in 1st post.

• 17-12-08: User iRiKi tested the Libgles_cl wrapper (made by NuShrike, thx mate!) and confirmed it working. He also was so kind to post a video of Heretic_GLES now running on his Diamond.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t-JX2TSkJI And Cube too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc3b9_CT2bw

• 16-12-08: We're currently looking into the possibility of making a libgles_cl.dll wrapper to support more programs and 3D applications, as well as making more tests work in GLbenchmark. Also, we've come to know that The Android porting team seems to have some fully working ports which might have some answers towards our graphics questions. (so if you're an Android devver, please join the conversation ;))

• 11-12-08: User Draxredd pointed out that the hotfix by HTC seems to update ddi.dll, disptools.dll, gxdma.dll and htcmdp.dll. 3 of those files are sure to be used for graphics. Glbenchmark results don't show much performance increase, but it does however fix the slowdowns the HD had.

• 11-12-08: user lukexda mentioned that the iPhone in this particular case only has a resolution of 480x320 and therefor is faster. Draxredd suggested we use WVGA fix (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=455974) to correct screen resolution to VGA or lower to see if that makes any difference. An does it! The speed of some tests give a whopping DOUBLE SCORE! Now we know what makes our device sluggish. HTC gave us a device with a great looking screen at the cost of great performance.
However, we're not done in our quest to better the device's graphic performance. So please, keep contributing!

F.A.Q:

I've seen a few questions about this driver that come back each and everytime. So here's a small FAQ for you to read:

Q: What do these drivers do?
A: The original ATI drivers enable you to display 3D graphics on your MSM720X device. The OpenVG driver enables 2D Hardware acceleration on the OpenVG platform. That doesn't mean Windows Mobile's 2D interface will be hardware accelerated! HTC's TouchFlo3D heavily depends on this driver, and every update we bring will be aimed at performance.

Q: Are these solely for MSM720X devices?
A: Yes, since the files used only work with the MSM720X chipset. And not even ALL MSM720X chipsets.

Q: So, which devices are supported?
A: Currently only newer devices: the Kaiser, Polaris, Nike, won't work. This driver is only for Diamond and up. There MAY be more in the future though.

Q: How does one install this driverpack?
A: It's as simple as installing any other app or game, with one exception: You need to disable Touchflo3D/Sense or Titanium before running the installation.

Q: Why?
A: Just to make sure no files are in use when they're overwritten by the driverpack.

Q: Wait, you're overwriting files? How can this be uninstalled then?
A: Technically, it can't, unless you hard-reset or flash another ROM.

Q: Ok, but HOW do I disable and re-enable? TF3D/Sense/Titanium?
A: That's easy. Go to Start>Settings>Today. Then select the Items Tab. Deselect TF3D/Sense/Titanium and press OK. Use the same procedure to re-enable it.

Q: Does this driver improve performance in TomTom, IGO, Video's, Camera, etc?
A: Currently, all this driver does is 3D. TomTom, IGO, videos and such don't use the 3D engine. Most applications on your device are 2D currently, otherwise it wouldn't have worked before. But with the new OpenVG driver it could be possible to get 2D hardware rendering, if the app or game is written using OpenVG code.

Q: I've installed the drivers on my <insert device here>, but TF3D won't run anymore / Opera crashes the device after crashing.
A: This is a known issue with the driver. We're currently investigating on which files cause the issues and try to replace them. Somehow the driverpack doesn't work the same on different devices using the same MSM7201A chipset... <solved in Driverpack 3>

Last edited:

NeoS

Jan 27, 2008
Somewhere in NL
It's... Average at best. Same as the Diamond and Pro. For now. I'm gonna try and see what i can do to improve it. And i hope some others will aid me in that. ;)

I already got the lights working with Hardware rendering now, but that's too easy. Gonna do some SPB benches...

maqui01

Sep 20, 2008
It's... Average at best. Same as the Diamond and Pro. For now. I'm gonna try and see what i can do to improve it. And i hope some others will aid me in that. ;)

I already got the lights working with Hardware rendering now, but that's too easy. Gonna do some SPB benches...

is it a huge different talking about the screen?? I mean, watching a movie or something is totally different or it's kinda the same?

Last edited:

NeoS

Jan 27, 2008
Somewhere in NL
Found an interesting registry setting:
HKLM\software\HTC\VelocityEngine\3D\Enable=0
I set it to 1. I don't see any big improvements or whatever. yet...

JanSchotsmans

Oct 16, 2008
Alken
www.togeek.net
From what I've been reading HTC shipped the HD with the MS reference driver for the graphics.
Once the rom cookers get cracking I'm sure the driver update will be part of that.

With the Touch Cruise/Polaris, this made a gigantic difference in graphics performance and smoothnes of the interface.

I don't really get why the heck HTC won't install up to date and up to snuff drivers in new devices. It bites.

With a big screen like the HD, you need good graphics drivers.

I do have to say though that the performance of the HD is rather good compared to other HTC devices in the office. Especially for first release level firmwares

asci

Aug 9, 2004
Troia
www.cibellieguadagno.it
Well, I received my HD and display didn't impress me that much! Brightness is not impressive, Diamond and iPhone are better, colors and text seems to be faded. The white has a warm colour temperature...
Any one had the same impressions?

Last edited:

NeoS

Jan 27, 2008
Somewhere in NL
It won't be easy to patch this driver for the HD. The Polaris and Kaiser driver were rev. 1 drivers. The Diamond and up are rev. 2. This means LOTS of low level coding and WAY more time consuming.
And the Polaris and Kaiser drivers themselves are still under development, so don't expect anything from the people who work on those drivers. (as far as i know, i'm the only one who got myself an HD)
The driver seems to work pretty similar to the Polaris (my old device) and as I said earler, i got Lights.exe to work on hardware rendering. But that's pretty much it. No improvements on speed or anything. I will however see how far i can push this myself.

asci

Aug 9, 2004
Troia
www.cibellieguadagno.it
Ciao Stesa...;)
Yes, I did, is the very first thing I do when I unbox all of them...At least from X7500 ;)
About the light sensor, it seems to work differently from the Diamond one, but I found it more reactive and the changes according to the ambient brightness value are more evident.

Last edited:

fards

Inactive Recognized Developer
Thought I'd post this as a comparison with the SE X1
This was my glbench from this afternoon, it seems a bit worse than the HD, I'm not certain what's going on but from teh lights parallel down it starts to struggle in comparison.

GLBenchmark Pro Result Details
3D Rendering Quality: Bilinear Filter : 96% (Success)
3D Rendering Quality: Perspective Correction : 100% (Success)
3D Rendering Quality: Sub Pixel Precision : 95% (Success)
3D Rendering Quality: Trilinear Filter : 89% (Fail)
3D Rendering Quality: Z-buffer Precision : 99.1% (Success)
CPU Performance: Float : 781
CPU Performance: Integer : 8173
Fill Rate: Multi-Textured, 2x2 : 15206 kTexels/s
Fill Rate: Multi-textured, 4x2 : 17203 kTexels/s
Fill Rate: Single-textured, 4x1 : 20122 kTexels/s
GLBenchmark HD ES 1.0 : 542 Frames
GLBenchmark HD ES 1.1 : Failed / Not supported
GLBenchmark Pro ES 1.0 : 84 Frames
GLBenchmark Pro ES 1.1 : Failed / Not supported
Lights: Ambient x 1 : 113397 Triangles/s
Lights: Omni x 1 : 53123 Triangles/s
Lights: Parallel x 1 : 118505 Triangles/s
Lights: Parallel x 2 : 287069 Triangles/s
Lights: Parallel x 4 : 282983 Triangles/s
Lights: Parallel x 8 : 287069 Triangles/s
Lights: Spot x 1 : 50058 Triangles/s
Swapbuffer speed : 280
Texture Filter: LINEAR : 282983 Triangles/s
Texture Filter: LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR : 285026 Triangles/s
Texture Filter: LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST : 287069 Triangles/s
Texture Filter: NEAREST : 287069 Triangles/s
Texture Filter: NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR : 287069 Triangles/s
Texture Filter: NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST : 287069 Triangles/s
Texture Size: 1024x1024 : 287069 Triangles/s
Texture Size: 128x128 : 287069 Triangles/s
Texture Size: 256x256 : 280940 Triangles/s
Texture Size: 512x512 : 285026 Triangles/s
Texture Size: 64x64 : 287069 Triangles/s
Triangles: Flat Shaded + Color : 282983 Triangles/s
Triangles: Smooth Shaded + Color : 288091 Triangles/s
Triangles: Textured : 289112 Triangles/s
Triangles: Textured + Color : 289112 Triangles/s

OpenGL ES Environment Variables
GL_VENDOR QUALCOMM, Inc.
GL_VERSION OpenGL ES-CM 1.0
GL_RENDERER Q3Dimension MSM7500W 01.02.03 0 5.1.2
GL_EXTENSIONS GL_OES_byte_coordinates GL_OES_read_format GL_OES_fixed_point GL_OES_single_precision_commands GL_OES_compressed_paletted_texture GL_OES_matrix_palette GL_OES_point_sprite GL_OES_point_size_array GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_ATI_texture_compression_atitc GL_ATI_extended_texture_coordinate_data_formats GL_OES_draw_texture
GL_RED_BITS 5
GL_GREEN_BITS 6
GL_BLUE_BITS 5
GL_ALPHA_BITS 0
GL_DEPTH_BITS 16
GL_STENCIL_BITS 0
GL_SUBPIXEL_BITS 2
GL_MAX_LIGHTS 8
GL_IMPLEMENTATION_COLOR_READ_FORMAT_OES 6407
GL_IMPLEMENTATION_COLOR_READ_TYPE_OES 33635
GL_MAX_MODELVIEW_STACK_DEPTH 16
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_STACK_DEPTH 2
GL_MAX_PROJECTION_STACK_DEPTH 2
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE 1024
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS 2
GL_MAX_PALETTE_MATRICES_OES 48
GL_MAX_VERTEX_UNITS_OES 4
GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_WIDTH 640
GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_HEIGHT 480
GL_NUM_COMPRESSED_TEXTURE_FORMATS 10
GL_ALIASED_LINE_WIDTH_MIN 1
GL_ALIASED_LINE_WIDTH_MAX 1
GL_ALIASED_POINT_SIZE_MIN 1
GL_ALIASED_POINT_SIZE_MAX 32
GL_SMOOTH_LINE_WIDTH_MIN 1
GL_SMOOTH_LINE_WIDTH_MAX 1
GL_SMOOTH_POINT_SIZE_MIN 1
GL_SMOOTH_POINT_SIZE_MAX 32

EGL Native Platform Graphics Interface
EGL Vendor ATI Technologies, Inc.
EGL Version __EGLI__VERSION_MAJOR.__EGLI__VERSION_MINOR 2.07.050110.34681
EGL Extensions EGL_QUALCOMM_COLOR_BUFFER
EGL Selected Configuration
EGL_CONFIG_ID: 3
EGL_BUFFER_SIZE: 16
EGL_ALPHA_SIZE: 0
EGL_BLUE_SIZE: 5
EGL_GREEN_SIZE: 6
EGL_RED_SIZE: 5
EGL_DEPTH_SIZE: 16
EGL_STENCIL_SIZE: 0
EGL_CONFIG_CAVEAT: 12344
EGL_LEVEL: 0
EGL_MAX_PBUFFER_HEIGHT: 0
EGL_MAX_PBUFFER_PIXELS: 0
EGL_MAX_PBUFFER_WIDTH: 0
EGL_NATIVE_RENDERABLE: 0
EGL_NATIVE_VISUAL_ID: 0
EGL_NATIVE_VISUAL_TYPE: 12344
EGL_SAMPLES: 0
EGL_SAMPLE_BUFFERS: 0
EGL_SURFACE_TYPE: 5
EGL_TRANSPARENT_TYPE: 12344
EGL_TRANSPARENT_BLUE_VALUE: 0
EGL_TRANSPARENT_GREEN_VALUE: 0
EGL_TRANSPARENT_RED_VALUE: 0

Device Information
Device Name X1i
Device ID xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Platform Name PocketPC
Platform ID 3
OS Windows Mobile
OS Build 19608
OS Version Major 5
OS Version Minor 2
CPU Vendor QUALCOMM
CPU Name
CPU Core MSM7200A-528MHz
CPU Instruction Set 0
CPU Type 2577
Reported CPU Architecture 5
Number of CPUs 1
Total Memory 210214912
Memory Page Size 4096
Screen size 480 x 800
System Color Bits 16
System Colors 65536

NeoS

Jan 27, 2008
Somewhere in NL
Nice! I see the performance of the X1 almost matches the HD. This could mean that a possible video driver could ALSO work on the Xperia.
I'm currently trying to see if the P3D driver can be of some use for the HD. I think it can, but it needs major alterations.

thanosc

Aug 20, 2007
Well, I received my HD and display didn't impress me that much! Brightness is not impressive, Diamond and iPhone are better, colors and text seems to be faded. The white has a warm colour temperature...
Any one had the same impressions?

No Sunny day today in Greece brightness just fine. maybe uncheck the autobrightnes??? a bit slow some times.

LelleZet

Oct 16, 2007
(sorry for my bad english) :)

I've doing some tests with the HTC-CA-Kaiser driver on the Blackstone.
I'am using the D3DM_ati.dll from this package. Lights.exe, D3DMdemo.exe and Triangle.exe running excellent.

Lights.exe tells me:
Hardware Rasterization: True
Hardware T&L: true

Triangles about 250-270 frames/sec.

Then i tested the Diamond Hologram. To make it running i've copy the HTCAPI.DLL into \WINDOWS\ folder.
It runs excellent!

TFLO3d also runs absolutly perfect!

But GLbenchmark won't run, even with original driver and the Omnia driver. :(
The first test ist running but the others not.

@NeoS2007
How have you managed to start glbenchmark?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm using the PowerVR SDK on the Touch Pro and getting some pretty good results.

SDK is here: Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC (Dell X51v)
    http://www.imgtec.com/powervr/insider/sdkdownloads/index.asp#GLES1b

eg. results:
    Vase demo in a window renders at 50 fps ~ 30 full screen.
    Poly count = 2416
    Vert count = 1474
    PolyBump 136fps in a window _CL and _CM), 32 FPS Full screen

etc

I think this is good enough to start my project with.

I can't remember where I got my LibGLes_CL and _CM dll's from from but the file sizes are:

libgles_cl.dll 10.9k - Clearly a stub for the hardware
    libgles_cm.dll 319k - Possibly half stub (the CL part) and half reference.

Sorry if this is old info or if the performance isn't as good as you think it should be.

PT

Thanks for the link, not seen these before, all the demos run ok and pretty quick to, can't see the FPS but some demos seem to run over 30fps, looks impressive on the HD in fullscreen.