Toshiba Excite 7.7 received Jelly Bean last night.

Search This thread

TonyBigs

Apr 14, 2011
Hello,

Much to my surprise, my Toshiba Excite 7.7 received Jelly Bean last night.

Version 4.1.1000121313.01

About 360MB

It is a virtually unaltered version of JB. Some Google apps were updated: You Tube, Google Magazines, etc.

The tablet does have a better Quadrant score.

However:

1) The JB "Phablet Mode" is now the default
2) Toshiba did not fix the varying brightness while using the browser issue
3) The Super AMOLED+ screen is still not calibrated very well (look at any B&W picture)

Even so, I am thankful that Toshiba has provided a current update on a tablet that may have been left for dead.

Reactions: SchmuFoo

SchmuFoo

Dec 21, 2012
Cologne
I bought mine a few days ago as a Nexus 7 successor, main reason was the much better and bigger screen and the build quality.

Off course I was very sceptical wrt 4.0 VS. 4.2, especialy because I dont had any small hope that the "Silent Tablet Newby Toshiba" will announce or even release a newer Android Version anytime.

But now, Long Story short: Thumbs Up Toshiba!

Looking forward for an European Release for the "Toshiba AT270 7.7" :rolleyes:

Cheers
SchmuFoo

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

jake21

Apr 29, 2011
I wish there was an option to put 4.1.1 in tablet mode rather than in phone mode; and yo could remove the search bar. Other than that ahven't noticed any issues yet.

SchmuFoo

Dec 21, 2012
Cologne
Just saw [1] that also the North America "Excite" Variants are using AT270 as model number, which is also used here in Europe.

Does this also mean that the 4.1 Rollout is a global one?? :rolleyes::thumbup::)

It yes, anyone found an official document which list the serialnumber groups and the specific Info which one will receive the update message during the next weeks?

HTC released such a list f.e. in the past for their One Series..

[1] Attached Screenshot taken from the YouTube Channel "The Digital Digest"

Cheers
SchmuFoo

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356433311454.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356433311454.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 488

SchmuFoo

Dec 21, 2012
Cologne
Still waiting :-\

Sent from my AT270 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356567915296.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356567915296.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 399
Hello,

About 360MB

It is a virtually unaltered version of JB. Some Google apps were updated: You Tube, Google Magazines, etc.

However:

3) The Super AMOLED+ screen is still not calibrated very well (look at any B&W picture)

Even so, I am thankful that Toshiba has provided a current update on a tablet that may have been left for dead.

Hello,

Would it be possible to create a DUMP of this update in order to update our AT270 ?

Thank you.

Feb 9, 2013
I caught issue with Excite 7.7 - system booted up and then reboot and every time same thing. Some app cause that, don't know witch one.
So, I switched tablet off, then hold two buttons Volume up and Power, then tablet goes to boot menu where I need to choose recovery mode. After that delete all data and cache and restore clear system (factory reset).
Now there are no hangs up.

matthew2582

Jan 13, 2011
Any solution for changing JB phablet mode?

Any solution for changing JB phablet mode and being able to change the dock orientation ?

I was hoping that changing launcher would allow for the dock to change in landscape and in portrait but no such luck

:rolleyes:

Thanks

Oct 28, 2009
Good morning all.
I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm brand new in Android word. I just ordered a gorgeous HTC One and I saw this beautiful Toshiba for an excellent price in a shop where I live (Switzerland). Navigating through the options I saw no update available for the software and the installed version is 4.0.4... years ago. Is there any chance to pass this device to JB? also an unofficial rom will be ok for me. I'm convinced this tool can be significatively better with JB, and moreover, I don't want to buy a not cheap device with a 2 years old software.
Any suggestion?

Oct 28, 2009
Hello,

About 360MB

However:

Sorry for coming back to you after all this time but I have a specific question.
I would like to buy a Toshiba At270: I feel is a great tablet with a great display and the perfect size for me. I prefer it also compared to the Nexus7: more or less same hardware with a better and brighter screen in aluminium chassis.
Anyway I checked a model exposed in a shop trying to update the software and I found no version up to the installed one available. That model is running 4.0.4.
I'm living in switzerland: could be possible no update is availble out of US?
There is another way to get JB running on this tablet or is better for me not to buy it and evaluate a vendor more effective in OTA delivering?

Thanks for the response.
s

Feb 9, 2013
Any solution for changing JB phablet mode and being able to change the dock orientation ?

I was hoping that changing launcher would allow for the dock to change in landscape and in portrait but no such luck

Thanks

there is no problem, with that, check the switcher near the power button and if it's off check settings.

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

Sorry for coming back to you after all this time but I have a specific question.
I would like to buy a Toshiba At270: I feel is a great tablet with a great display and the perfect size for me. I prefer it also compared to the Nexus7: more or less same hardware with a better and brighter screen in aluminium chassis.
Anyway I checked a model exposed in a shop trying to update the software and I found no version up to the installed one available. That model is running 4.0.4.
There is another way to get JB running on this tablet or is better for me not to buy it and evaluate a vendor more effective in OTA delivering?

Thanks for the response.
s

if you will buy US version there are no any problems to get update to JB via internet (OTA)

Reactions: sebastiano.fuccio

SchmuFoo

Dec 21, 2012
Cologne
I bought mine a few days ago as a Nexus 7 successor, main reason was the much better and bigger screen and the build quality.

Off course I was very sceptical wrt 4.0 VS. 4.2, especialy because I dont had any small hope that the "Silent Tablet Newby Toshiba" will announce or even release a newer Android Version anytime.

But now, Long Story short: Thumbs Up Toshiba!

Looking forward for an European Release for the "Toshiba AT270 7.7" :rolleyes:

Cheers
SchmuFoo

Still not avaible in Europe / Germany .. and according to Toshiba Europe (eMail from the Mobile Support Team), there are no details avaible if an release will happen :eek::(

Henry4

Sep 17, 2013
did not arrive yet.

Hi,

I bought a Excite 7.7 recently and it has Android 4.0. As I read your post, and other article from end December 2012, I wanted to update mine as soon as I received it. But the update app, keeps telling no update available.
Do you know how I could get this solved?

Hello,

About 360MB

However:

cesar1912

Nov 20, 2013
where can i get this update?

Hello,

About 360MB

However:

hello where can i get this update since mine shows there are no updates available and still has 4.0.3 installed

TonyBigs

Apr 14, 2011
Hello,

I don't know how to capture the update. The tablet, to the best of my knowledge, has never been rooted. ICS may have been a better firmware. I think the phablet mode is terrible.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

About 360MB

However:

Thanks

there is no problem, with that, check the switcher near the power button and if it's off check settings.

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

Thanks for the response.
    s

if you will buy US version there are no any problems to get update to JB via internet (OTA)