Ubuntu LiveCD with ADB and Unrevoked Recovery installer(Guide).

Search This thread

shad0wf0x

Apr 22, 2008
I have been helping out with rooting HTC Aria's over in IRC in the #liberatedAria channel for a while now. A lot of people have problems with drivers on Windows. The easiest solution for them to do this has been to download an Ubuntu LiveCD and use it to root their phone, however many people know nothing about Linux at all and feel daunted by this.

I have created a customized Ubuntu LiveCD that has a script that downloads the Unrevoked Teams reflash, untars it, and runs it as root to root HTC's phones that are supported by the tool (HTC Evo, Hero, Aria, Desire, and Incredible). It also has the Android SDK included and added to the path so it is accessible from a terminal. Everything can be done without a single change to the computer you are doing it on.

Download the iso image here:
MD5: 9a34c343e8f610e66674af9384334bf6
ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386-HTCROOT.iso Primary
ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386-HTCROOT.iso FileFactory.com

Burn the iso to a cd (This can be done with any cd burning software, imgburn found here is free)
[Optional]
If you do not have a CD drive, you can create a bootable flash drive by using the tool found here:Pendrive Linux

Put the CD into your computer cd/dvd drive and reboot your computer.

You must make your computer boot from CD, there are many different ways to do this depending on what computer you have, most recent computers have this enabled by default. Here is a guide that may help if you can't get this to work:Enable Boot from CD

Once it boots from the cd it will show a small picture of a keyboard and a person, do not press anything here and it will come to a window that will allow you to select your language.

Select your language and click "Try Ubuntu 10.04 LTS". This will boot up to a standard Ubuntu livecd desktop.

On your phone click menu, settings, applications, development, usb debugging

On the computer click "Places" on the top menubar and click "Home Folder". This will open a file explorer window, in that window is a script called "reflash.sh".

Double click reflash.sh. A window will pop up asking you what to do with this file, click "Run in Terminal". This will go get from the internet the current version of Unrevoked recovery installer from unrevoked.com/recovery, unzip/tar it, and run it as root.

Once it is complete you will be looking at the unrevoked3 screen and you should follow the prompts on screen.

You will then follow the prompts on the screen to plug in your phone, from the notification pane in android select charge only.

unrevoked3 will reboot your phone twice and leave you in ClockworkMod Recovery. On the computer at the bottom of the window it will say "Done".
Close the window, if you do not need to do anything further you can shut down the machine and be back in windows with nothing changed on your windows system.

Congratulations, your phone is now rooted and has ClockworkMod recovery installed.

There are other guides to setup of sideloading for the aria as well as how to load roms. You can do these using this live cd as well, this is a full ubuntu 10.04 livecd with only games and open office removed, and the unrevoked3 installer and the android sdk installed, it is already in the path and you can use adb commands from the terminal without having to switch directories(however it can be found in /opt/android-sdk-linux_86).

I would like to thank The Unrevoked team for making such a nice tool, and website that made this possible. I would like to that the guys in IRC on Freenode.net channels #liberatedAria and #koush for everything I've learned recently as well as all the great work they have done. Thanks also to Attn1 for making some nice roms for the HTC Aria and gave me the idea to create this. Thanks to Downer3d for the torrent mirror. Thanks to Neolobster for the new faster mirror.

Allowing Non-Market Apps using this cd on the stock ARIA rom:

Click Applications in the upper left corner.
Go to Accessories, click Terminal. This will put in you a terminal in the default users home folder. Because ADB(and android sdk) are in the path you do not need to change any directories. Start the phone in CLockworkmod with data mounted from the partitions menu and plug the phone into the computer.

Code:
sudo su
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
echo "update secure set value = 1 where name = 'install_non_market_apps';"|sqlite3 ./settings.db
adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
adb reboot

What this does:
Switch user to root.
ADB pulls the file that contains the setting to allow non market apps down to the machine from the phone.
The next line runs a sql update of the field install_non_market_apps in table 'secure' and sets the value to 1 (on).
ADB then pushes the file back to the phone in its original location.
You then use ADB to reboot the phone to enable it.

Last edited:

Ki77erB

Jul 20, 2010
Thats awesome!! If I didnt already go through all the trouble of doing it on my Windows box I would definitely try your live CD. I already have 10.04 installed on my laptop and I never really thought of trying it on there. I wonder if it would have been easier....oh well. Thanks again. Im sure there are plenty of people out there that will find this very useful.

attn1

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 18, 2010
Much easier. And yes, this IS awesome. Great job, Shad0wf0x. This kicks ass.

Cryptecks

Aug 1, 2010
Athens, Ohio
This is a fantastic idea, I had a ton of trouble rooting my Aria on Win7 x64 and downloading and using Ubuntu 10.04 eventually proved to be much easier. If your iso works as advertised I can see this possibly being the most pain-free solution for annoyed Windows rooters.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using XDA App

WTFsandwich

Jul 30, 2010
This works wonderfully for rooting and sideloading apps (the only issue there was figuring out I needed the root account and permissions). As painless as a dentist trip.

If I was to install Ubuntu from that LiveCD, would it still have the Android SDK on it or would I need to reinstall it? I like not having to cd to it.

shad0wf0x

Apr 22, 2008
the android sdk is installed on the livecd and in the path, you'll have it every time you boot up, the part the script downloads will be gone on a second boot(unrevoked.com's recovery installer)

jbwfg

Aug 7, 2010
Problem with reflash.sh tool

I followed all the steps, till the final step, and it said failed to flash recovery image and my phone only booted up once. Am I doing something wrong?

I am currently running.

Version 2.2 updated OTA last week Aug 3rd
Kernel version - 2.6.32.15
build #: 3.26.651.6
software: 3.26.651.6
PRI version: 1.40_003

shad0wf0x

Apr 22, 2008
I followed all the steps, till the final step, and it said failed to flash recovery image and my phone only booted up once. Am I doing something wrong?

I am currently running.

Version 2.2 updated OTA last week Aug 3rd
Kernel version - 2.6.32.15
build #: 3.26.651.6
software: 3.26.651.6
PRI version: 1.40_003

it says in your signature you have 2.2 updated OTA, that must mean you have an evo, and those aren't supported by the unrevoked tool when running 2.2.

carlito2fast

Aug 9, 2010
awesome shortcut for rooting phones, however I followed the steps and it is saying that the hero is not supported at this time? Did i do something wrong, I'm running 2.27.651.5

lcw90

Aug 12, 2010
Greenville
I've burned the the iso file to a cd but I'm not able to get the boot-up to work correctly..or to come up at all, when re-booting windows.

Flixoman

Aug 4, 2010
Atlanta
@lcw

When you boot, you will need to hit your bios and select your CD drive as a boot device. Then enjoy the ride - easy as falling off a bike.

pinkpanther2000

Aug 13, 2010
I cannot get my dell d600 or d630 to boot. The CD spins but I get the message "No bootable device".
I verified that the ubunto_*HTCROOT.iso file 641,942 kb is the only file on the CD.
Can someone please help.

oahceasgnikgneas

Jun 28, 2010
I cannot get my dell d600 or d630 to boot. The CD spins but I get the message "No bootable device".
I verified that the ubunto_*HTCROOT.iso file 641,942 kb is the only file on the CD.
Can someone please help.

You're not supposed to burn the ISO file onto a disc as a file. You're supposed to burn the contents of the ISO to a disc.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using XDA App

corporalchaos

Aug 17, 2010
I attempted to boot from the CD, I get the person/keyboard screen then i get the Ubuntu screen, then my computer goes black, any solutions?

Anthony1s

Aug 15, 2010
This is the BEST way to root your Aria. Big props to everyone that helped create it. You guys are the best.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have been helping out with rooting HTC Aria's over in IRC in the #liberatedAria channel for a while now. A lot of people have problems with drivers on Windows. The easiest solution for them to do this has been to download an Ubuntu LiveCD and use it to root their phone, however many people know nothing about Linux at all and feel daunted by this.

I have created a customized Ubuntu LiveCD that has a script that downloads the Unrevoked Teams reflash, untars it, and runs it as root to root HTC's phones that are supported by the tool (HTC Evo, Hero, Aria, Desire, and Incredible). It also has the Android SDK included and added to the path so it is accessible from a terminal. Everything can be done without a single change to the computer you are doing it on.

Download the iso image here:
    MD5: 9a34c343e8f610e66674af9384334bf6
    ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386-HTCROOT.iso Primary
    ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386-HTCROOT.iso FileFactory.com

Burn the iso to a cd (This can be done with any cd burning software, imgburn found here is free)
    [Optional]
    If you do not have a CD drive, you can create a bootable flash drive by using the tool found here:Pendrive Linux

Put the CD into your computer cd/dvd drive and reboot your computer.

You must make your computer boot from CD, there are many different ways to do this depending on what computer you have, most recent computers have this enabled by default. Here is a guide that may help if you can't get this to work:Enable Boot from CD

Once it boots from the cd it will show a small picture of a keyboard and a person, do not press anything here and it will come to a window that will allow you to select your language.

Select your language and click "Try Ubuntu 10.04 LTS". This will boot up to a standard Ubuntu livecd desktop.

On your phone click menu, settings, applications, development, usb debugging

On the computer click "Places" on the top menubar and click "Home Folder". This will open a file explorer window, in that window is a script called "reflash.sh".

Double click reflash.sh. A window will pop up asking you what to do with this file, click "Run in Terminal". This will go get from the internet the current version of Unrevoked recovery installer from unrevoked.com/recovery, unzip/tar it, and run it as root.

Once it is complete you will be looking at the unrevoked3 screen and you should follow the prompts on screen.

You will then follow the prompts on the screen to plug in your phone, from the notification pane in android select charge only.

unrevoked3 will reboot your phone twice and leave you in ClockworkMod Recovery. On the computer at the bottom of the window it will say "Done".
    Close the window, if you do not need to do anything further you can shut down the machine and be back in windows with nothing changed on your windows system.

Congratulations, your phone is now rooted and has ClockworkMod recovery installed.

There are other guides to setup of sideloading for the aria as well as how to load roms. You can do these using this live cd as well, this is a full ubuntu 10.04 livecd with only games and open office removed, and the unrevoked3 installer and the android sdk installed, it is already in the path and you can use adb commands from the terminal without having to switch directories(however it can be found in /opt/android-sdk-linux_86).

I would like to thank The Unrevoked team for making such a nice tool, and website that made this possible. I would like to that the guys in IRC on Freenode.net channels #liberatedAria and #koush for everything I've learned recently as well as all the great work they have done. Thanks also to Attn1 for making some nice roms for the HTC Aria and gave me the idea to create this. Thanks to Downer3d for the torrent mirror. Thanks to Neolobster for the new faster mirror.

Allowing Non-Market Apps using this cd on the stock ARIA rom:

Click Applications in the upper left corner.
    Go to Accessories, click Terminal. This will put in you a terminal in the default users home folder. Because ADB(and android sdk) are in the path you do not need to change any directories. Start the phone in CLockworkmod with data mounted from the partitions menu and plug the phone into the computer.

Code:
    sudo su
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
    echo "update secure set value = 1 where name = 'install_non_market_apps';"|sqlite3 ./settings.db
    adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    adb reboot

What this does:
    Switch user to root.
    ADB pulls the file that contains the setting to allow non market apps down to the machine from the phone.
    The next line runs a sql update of the field install_non_market_apps in table 'secure' and sets the value to 1 (on).
    ADB then pushes the file back to the phone in its original location.
    You then use ADB to reboot the phone to enable it.
    I got a big big problem guys!

Hope you can help me..

Before i tryed with ubuntu Unrevoked dosnt worked.. It only told me that it was rooting and that I could restart safely.. This happends all the time, and sometimes it didnt even find my phone..

Now i burned the ubuntu on an CD, it works and everything, but I still got the same problem... It seems to freeze at the point where it shall root..

Can someone please help me? Im stuck and I dont know what to do...

I have an Wildfire with 2.2.1 Do you need more info, just write and I will give you!

I really hope someone can help me! I want to clock my phone so it can handle more demanding apps..

Best regards
    WoozyMusic

This process was developed for the Aria, not the Wildfire, so it may not be downloading the correct version of Unrevoked. Second of all, if you already have Froyo 2.2.1 on your Wildfire, Unrevoked probably doesn't support rooting of this version yet. I know that is true about other HTC devices that have OTA upgraded to Froyo 2.2.1.
    Oh, thats suck..

So, I cant overclock my phone? Or can I do it with another program or something? I just want to clock it to 710 Mhz.. :(

Best regards
    WoozyMusic

First you need a kernel that supports over-clocking and then you can use a program called SetCpu to set the clock rate. In either case you will need to have your phone rooted.

Have you looked at the Wildfire forum for any solutions?

http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=678
    Yes, and I have downloaded Wildpuzzle, as I seem to know that support overclocking?

Yes, but everytime I try to root the freakin' phone it just freeze.. I have tryed almost everything, googled like an arse, searc in different forums, almost everybody reference to unrevoked, that dosn't work for me...

I'm about to snap.. I dunno how I will get over the freakin' freeze thing...

What the fudge will I do? :/ I will search some more, both her in xda and even thru google.. Wish me good luck..

Best regards
    WoozyMusic

OK, I visited the Wildfire forum and there are several posts about trying to root a Wildfire with Froyo 2.2 on it. As with the Aria/Gratia that have Froyo 2.2 on it, there is currently no method using Unrevoked to root these phones. You will have to wait for a rooting method to be developed and documented.
    Oh snap.. what the fudge, i hate to wait...

I'm on an IRC-channel right now and they told me to downgrade, and then root the phone, but I cant even make the downgrade right..

I'ma throw this freakin' phone in to the wall and complain to my boss so I can get an raise and buy me a beautiful phone, like Desire HD or LG optimus x2.. or something else...

Like i said, hate to wait..
    How long do you think it will take until a new version is out so i can root the freakin' phone?

Best regards
    WoozyMusic

Well since Froyo 2.2 just came out for the Wildfire recently and the Gratia/Aria a couple of weeks before that and there still isn't an way to root with the latest HTC HBoot versions on these phones I don't know what to tell you. With the original versions of the Aria and Wildfire, the ROMs were rooted within days of being released, but this new Froyo 2.2 update is apparently a lot tougher to find a root exploit.