[HOWTO] Enable the car dock external audio without Samsung's Home apps

Search This thread

marek.cichecki

Feb 19, 2009
Now I am back to Semaphore. In 0.9.0 the car dock works well. The sound quality is still not too good, but hopefully this can be fixed, too.

Hi,

How did you actually manage to get this working on ICSSGS 4.2?

I've tried Glitch, Semaphore and Devil (which are all supposed to support dock audio since latest releases) in every possible combination with either TheBeano's DockSpeaker_1.1 and XCaliburinhand's Dock Sound Redirector (from the Market).

XCaliburinhand's app displays a warning that no supported ROM or kernel was found. It works for CM9 and AFAIR it used to work for Onecosmic's before the ROM got odexed (that was RC3, right?).

The dock sound support is the only thing that pulled me away from ICSSGS and keeps me with CM9.:(

What am I missing that makes it work for you? Please help...:)

elhennig

Feb 21, 2011
Samsung Galaxy A52 4G
Fairphone 4
How did you actually manage to get this working on ICSSGS 4.2?
[...]
XCaliburinhand's Dock Sound Redirector (from the Market).

XCaliburinhand's app displays a warning that no supported ROM or kernel was found. It works for CM9 and AFAIR it used to work for Onecosmic's before the ROM got odexed (that was RC3, right?).

It worked out of the box with Icy Glitch Beta5 and Semaphore 0.9.x with XCaliburinhand's app, version 1.8

Reactions: marek.cichecki

greasyguy

Jan 6, 2011
www.thefairytales.de
I now tried it with teamics 4.2 and devil's 1.1.5. When snapping the phone into the dock I can hear a crack out off my speakers. When I open sound redirect app from this thread I tick "car dock" but nothing happens. Can't get it working. Maybe I try with semaphore again. Could it be a wrong cable as well?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9000 mit Tapatalk

marek.cichecki

Feb 19, 2009
It worked out of the box with Icy Glitch Beta5 and Semaphore 0.9.x with XCaliburinhand's app, version 1.8

Thanks a lot for such a quick response. I tried redownloading, wiping, flashing, reflashing etc. a few times but to no avail.

I'm wondering if this could be a matter of you flashing 4.2 over some previous ROM with dock sound capability (or rather Xcaliburinhand-friendly:) vs. me coming from stock Samsung ROM via CM7, doing all the recommended wipes.

Anyway, I decided not to investigate that matter any further and just stick to CM9. Still, thank you very much for sharing your experience.

PerpetuumNobile

Dec 10, 2010
The dock sound support is the only thing that pulled me away from ICSSGS and keeps me with CM9.:(

Hi,

Here is the workaround for those who are unable to redirect sound using ICSSGS RC4.2 and XCaliburinhand's Galaxy Dock Sound Redirector:

Edit your /system/build.prop file and replace the following line
ro.product.manufacturer=unknown
with
ro.product.manufacturer=Samsung

Reboot, finished.

Confirmed working on Icy Glitch V14b5 kernel, should also work on other (redirection capable) kernels (e.g. Semaphore 0.9.x). Latest Icy Glitch kernel has now full voice call redirection also working!

Be extra careful when editing build.prop (create a backup of file etc.)!

Details: I checked the source code of Dock Sound Redirector on github and found that it checks if: 1. the manufacturer string is 'samsung' 2. /sys/devices/virtual/misc/dockredir/dockredir_support file exists and contains '1' in the first line. If any of these fails, will throw the error message.

In this thread, you'll find a CWM-flashable (latest) version of Google Car Home -- could be also interesting.

Have a nice day,

pn

Reactions: olarf and crow25k

TaC

Aug 23, 2007
Córdoba
Greasyguy, just with ICSSGS 4.2, semaphore 1.0.0, the modification from PerpetuumNobile and then installing Galaxy Dock Sound Redirector from market. ;)

Reactions: greasyguy

bsell1

Jan 20, 2008
I have read this whole thread. Has anybody got the phone to redirect out? This dock is pretty useless if I can't hear the phone on the road. Is there a rom that I can install that does this? I would prefer to leave the stock samsung rom 2.3.5 since this is a work phone and I would prefer not to screw it up. Any help would be appreciated.

greasyguy

Jan 6, 2011
www.thefairytales.de
Hi,

Here is the workaround for those who are unable to redirect sound using ICSSGS RC4.2 and XCaliburinhand's Galaxy Dock Sound Redirector:

with

Reboot, finished.

Confirmed working on Icy Glitch V14b5 kernel, should also work on other (redirection capable) kernels (e.g. Semaphore 0.9.x). Latest Icy Glitch kernel has now full voice call redirection also working!

Details: I checked the source code of Dock Sound Redirector on github and found that it checks if: 1. the manufacturer string is 'samsung' 2. /sys/devices/virtual/misc/dockredir/dockredir_support file exists and contains '1' in the first line. If any of these fails, will throw the error message.

In this thread, you'll find a CWM-flashable (latest) version of Google Car Home -- could be also interesting.

Have a nice day,

pn

After I managed to get dock sound working on my device I tried to do the same on my wife's galaxy. She is on darkys 10.4.2 with latest semaphore kernel. But unfortunately the dockredir folder isn't there? Do I just need to copy my folder to her phone or is there anything else to do? Help is again appreciated. :D

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9000 mit Tapatalk 2

the_random_hero

Dec 8, 2010
Phone: Galaxy SII 4G (i9210t)
Firmware: 2.3.6

Problem: Can trigger car/home dock fine. I get the pop through the audio out and it stops playing through my internal speaker when either is triggered, which suggests the audio is getting re-routed somewhere. Where that is, I'm not sure. I have no signal over D+ or D- (assuming they are commonly grounded to pin 5; which I believe is the case unless I have understood this ALL wrong).

Thoughts? If I toggle home/car off through the app, then the audio no longer stops playing on my internal speaker, which suggests something should be working.

TheBeano

Jul 18, 2010
Phone: Galaxy SII 4G (i9210t)
Firmware: 2.3.6

Problem: Can trigger car/home dock fine. I get the pop through the audio out and it stops playing through my internal speaker when either is triggered, which suggests the audio is getting re-routed somewhere.
Samsung seem to have broken the kernel car dock audio support again in 2.3.6. I recently switched from ICS back to stock 2.3.6 JW4 and car dock audio didn't work with this version. I'm not sure at what point it became broken again, the last confirmed working stock version for me was 2.3.3 JVP.

olarf

Feb 6, 2012
Cologne
unicycle.tv
Thanks PerpetuumNobile!

I test to activate my sound via Car Dock on a I9000 with Tiramisu 1.9.6 by selecting the Glitch Kernel in AROMA installer (14.6B) and it works perfect. No need to edit the file, it is already edited as PerpetuumNobile recomended.

Maybe next week I switch to Semaphore to try it also there (1.1) with AROMA and Tiramisu its so easy to switch kernels and other stuff :)
Semaphore (1.20S) works also fine!

Update: Devil 0.94 works also fine so Glitch, Semaphore an Devil work perfect with Car Dock.

Last edited:

i9000usersa

Feb 22, 2011
hi, im a major noob. i read perpetuumnobiles post but have no idea what that means.
could anyone please be kind enough to post a step by step guide?
thanks in advance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: none of this works for the Car Dock in Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread (JVB, JVK, or JVO), due to a Samsung kernel bug/feature. It should work for the Home Dock. Car Dock output is fixed in Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread (JVP or later).

This will not work with any Cyanogenmod, Teamhacksung or other open source ROMs for any version of Android, including ICS, as it calls a closed-source Samsung module that will not be present in these ROMs.

Samsung's docks have external audio outputs that are connected through the phone's USB port. These outputs don't work unless you use the latest versions of Samsung's Desk Home and Car Home apps (kindly provided by an XDA user here for those that can't download them from the market).

Unfortunately these apps are not the greatest, especially Samsung Car Home. I wanted to use Google Car Home, so I did a little reverse engineering and discovered that Samsung's apps use this Android Intent to switch the external audio output on and off:

name: com.sec.android.intent.action.INTERNAL_SPEAKER
    extra: state
    extra value (Integer):
    0 = off (sound through phone's internal speaker)
    1 = on (sound through dock external port).

You can use this in a couple of ways:

1. Through Tasker: create a profile with context Docked and an Intent action as follows:
    Action: com.sec.android.intent.action.INTERNAL_SPEAKER
    Cat: none
    Extra: state:1
    Target: Broadcast Receiver

Or, if you don't want to use Tasker:

2. I created a tiny app (attached) that triggers this intent when the phone is docked and undocked. I've only tested it with the car dock but it should work with the home dock as well. It doesn't create a background service or use any memory normally, it just gets launched and switches the external audio output on whenever the phone is plugged in to the dock.
    Update: v1.1 now has separate settings for home and car docks.

Known versions where Car Dock output doesn't work:
    * Android 2.1 (all versions)
    * Android 2.2 prior to JPX kernel
    * Android 2.3.3 (works in 2.3.4 JVP)

Ringtone and caller voice audio does not go through the external port, only music player output.

I've only tested it on the I9000 but it should work with all the Galaxy S variants, at least all the ones that work with Samsung's Dock apps anyway.

Warning: There is a nasty "crack" when the audio output is connected so you may want to have your stereo's volume turned right down.

If you find this app useful please donate to the CyanogenMod developers: go to this thread and click the link under "SUPPORT US".
    Hi guys,

I wrote Pawtip to include the Patch from ICS into JellyBean.
    He answered me and said that the new Nightly (cm-10.1-20130225-NIGHTLY-galaxysmtd.zip) will get this Patch.

See here:

http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/32520/

Regards!

Hi,

with

Reboot, finished.

Have a nice day,

pn
    I'm not using it and I don't have a dock, so I don't know what app is needed. I did add support for it in the kernel, and the testers who were testing it confirmed it was working. I'll ask them what app they are using.
    Is it this? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=975349
    Can I flash it over my Dark_Core_2.7.3_JVP kernel if I first turn of Lag fix?

Yes, download the "Stock+Ext4 Kernel JVP - Gingerbread 2.3.4" from the first post in that thread and flash with Odin or Heimdall.

If your Lagfix is just ext4 (no jfs etc.) you don't have to turn it off.

If there's a weird voice at boot: that's the filesystem conversion. If there's none, all is fine, too ;)