Preinstalled screen protector?

Search This thread

nvidia17

Mar 3, 2012
The link above to the Sony mobile forums says the same story as Sony UK said and I have just repeated. I think there is some confusion here but I am not sure exactly how it is being interpreted. Just because the extra protector is not included in the box doesn't mean its not recommended....just they were not so generous in that country! :)

The extra screen protector is a different shape to the laminate sheet already on the phone.

Personally I think its stupid to have two layers. It will reduce further the touchscreen responsiveness. The real issue is that Sony didn't use Gorilla glass. This meant they needed to put a laminate sheet over their own glass. If they had chosen a glass like Gorilla which is already suitably treated not to shatter, then this mess and confusion wouldn't arise.

I took mine off to replace it with a Nilkin screen protector that I got with my case also because 2 screen protectors is quite weird.

Eventually failed putting on that screen protector, if it doesn't work the first time you're stuck with a screen protector full of dust on the adhesive side.. Deciding to leave it like this, the glass feels very good when navigating, no more vacuum cleaning my pockets because the preinstalled protector is a dust magnet and better screen quality (in theory).

I assume no scratches will appear when you just put it inside your pocket without anything inside of it.

renegade93

Aug 1, 2011
The link above to the Sony mobile forums says the same story as Sony UK said and I have just repeated. I think there is some confusion here but I am not sure exactly how it is being interpreted. Just because the extra protector is not included in the box doesn't mean its not recommended....just they were not so generous in that country! :)

The extra screen protector is a different shape to the laminate sheet already on the phone.

Personally I think its stupid to have two layers. It will reduce further the touchscreen responsiveness. The real issue is that Sony didn't use Gorilla glass. This meant they needed to put a laminate sheet over their own glass. If they had chosen a glass like Gorilla which is already suitably treated not to shatter, then this mess and confusion wouldn't arise.

The Xperia S uses Gorilla Glass.

zodiac100

Aug 19, 2010
TMD & Sharp?

Read the white paper for Xperia S:
http://developer.sonymobile.com/cws/devworld/downloads/download/xperiaswp1

Page 7:

Main screen:
"Scratch resistant - shatter proof sheet on scratch-resistant glass"

Nothing about Gorilla.

Sent from my LT26i using xda premium

Just read it. 450hrs standby, they must be seriously joking. Damn phone looses almost 25 to 27% of its battery life in under 8 hrs.
O hope this improves because the life I get now will really spoil my experience with this phone.

Sent from my LT26i using XDA

staynam

Nov 26, 2011
its kinda hard to tear dat pre-installed protector off.
Unnecessary as well. Unless u bought sth better from Amazon.JP

mkh93

Apr 28, 2012
Khobar
omg thanks there was 2 scratches on my phone that were so annoying .. after i saw this thread i removed the protector and YES! no scratches :cool: .. it was hard but u have to have patience and a pointy object :p .. anyways it feels nicer w/o the protector :D

anthon

Apr 11, 2008
Just read it. 450hrs standby, they must be seriously joking. Damn phone looses almost 25 to 27% of its battery life in under 8 hrs.
O hope this improves because the life I get now will really spoil my experience with this phone.

May be your phone, mine looses a 4% in 8 hours (with data on but in 2g mode)

Xadious

Mar 20, 2012
For those who took the shatterproof screen off, does the plastic itself feel much different to a normal screen protector? Is it thicker, stronger, less flexible?

It looks like any other screen protector to me (haven't taken it off yet), so not sure how it's supposed to prevent the screen from shattering. Although, i've never had a phone screen shatter.

Is Sony the only company that puts on a sheet on like this? Wonder whether they're being generous or whether they do this because their screens are weak because they're making them thinner? :confused:

nvidia17

Mar 3, 2012
For those who took the shatterproof screen off, does the plastic itself feel much different to a normal screen protector? Is it thicker, stronger, less flexible?

It looks like any other screen protector to me (haven't taken it off yet), so not sure how it's supposed to prevent the screen from shattering. Although, i've never had a phone screen shatter.

Is Sony the only company that puts on a sheet on like this? Wonder whether they're being generous or whether they do this because their screens are weak because they're making them thinner? :confused:

I took mine off, used only the glass for a few days. I actually wanted to keep it that way. My XS was a dust magnet before taking off the shatter proof sheet, the glass also feels a lot smoother and less sticky when navigating. But then my Nilkin case arrived, I put on the free screen protector included and I must say it feels pretty damn smooth.

Do have 2 annoying bubbles with a little bit of dust under them, which is mostly my fault. I ordered the Brando ultra clear screen protector because it's impossible to get these annoying bubbles away.

The Nilkin one which you get for free is way better than the original though, no more vacuum cleaning my pocket before i put my phone in. The default one is horrible if you don't like your phone all dusty, the only way for me to use it with the default one is to use a pull up pouch or something similar

Xadious

Mar 20, 2012
I took mine off, used only the glass for a few days. I actually wanted to keep it that way. My XS was a dust magnet before taking off the shatter proof sheet, the glass also feels a lot smoother and less sticky when navigating. But then my Nilkin case arrived, I put on the free screen protector included and I must say it feels pretty damn smooth.

Do have 2 annoying bubbles with a little bit of dust under them, which is mostly my fault. I ordered the Brando ultra clear screen protector because it's impossible to get these annoying bubbles away.

The Nilkin one which you get for free is way better than the original though, no more vacuum cleaning my pocket before i put my phone in. The default one is horrible if you don't like your phone all dusty, the only way for me to use it with the default one is to use a pull up pouch or something similar
Does the "shatterproof" protector that was originally on the XPS look like an ordinary screen protector once you took it off? (as in flexibility and thickness). Just curious as i'm curious as to why they call it shatterproof when it sounds like any other plastic screen protector, only worse in that it is a dust magnet (keep having to wipe mine).

bustervic

Jan 26, 2010
Victoria
It's about the same as the Nillkin protectors, but it looks like they adhered it to the screen with a very sticky, dry resin.
The amount of dust it attracts, as well as how easily it scratches however is just silly. They should either forgo it, or supply you with a protector out of the box.

nvidia17

Mar 3, 2012
Correct, you get the same quality as you get with the Nilkin screen protector. It's really not a quality amazingly thin screen protector, just a regular screen protector that is really hard to pull of and attracts dust like a magnet.

I suggest getting it off and putting a new screen protector on it if you don't like dust. You shouldn't worry about the glass being exposed, it's really hard to scratch, just make sure you don't wait too long putting another protector on it. Nothing is really scratch proof.

I wouldn't recommend anti glare matte screen protectors on this phone, messes up the quality. Ultra clear protectors are defo the way to go

avexdevil

Jul 9, 2009
i'm not too fussed with the stock screen protector, but i did notice a couple hairline scratches, i'm just worried this dry resin adhesive might be too difficult to remove or leave stubborn residue if i left it on for too long...

RanMN

May 8, 2012
What if we put the extra protector and then decide to remove it off?will the original one come off along with it?

frickinlandez

Jan 22, 2012
Sheffield
sliding your finger up from the transparent strip to the soft keys works great. Really eliminates the hit or miss issue.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using XDA

Superstar, that's ace and works spot on! I'd noticed, and was getting a bit annoyed, with the non-responsiveness of the 'buttons' but that's much better.

Plus, leaving the screen protector intact means I can give it a freshen up in a few months time when it inevitably starts to get a little tatty :)

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

What if we put the extra protector and then decide to remove it off?will the original one come off along with it?

Ah, no, the thin one loose in the box didn't go anywhere near pulling off the already fitted one.

I was quite pleased to see Sony include an extra protector, but with the ready-fitted one attracting dust like mad I gave up with the optional one, managed to get finger prints all over it and chucked it away! I'll live with the thick one and deal with the dust I reckon!

bustervic

Jan 26, 2010
Victoria
For anyone considering replacing the stock screen protector.... DO IT!!
Even the basic Nillkin one that I got with the case is 10000 times better.
Less fingerprints, no dust, and feels much nicer. And no scratches.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sigh,remember the pre-installed one is NOT a screen protector. You are supposed to put a screen protector on top of it. This is what Sony has to say about the confusion:

The scratch resistant screen is covered in a non-scratch resistant anti-shatter laminate sheet that will reduce the likelihood of the screen cracking or shattering. This is NOT the top layer intended as the laminate sheet is very easily scratched and attracts lots of dust and fingerprints. You are then supposed to put a screen protector over this laminate sheet which will do a much better job of resisting dirt, fingerprints and scratches than the laminate sheet. One is included in the Xperia packaging in unbranded models. The preinstalled laminate sheet is glued down. It can come off but it will leave a glue residue on the screen that is not easy to get off. The second layer screen protector included with unbranded models just bonds through natural static adhesion onto the laminate sheet rather than a glue.

The laminate sheet can not be replaced on its own after removal from the screen. The laminate sheet is bonded to the screen with heat as part of the production process in order to properly fuse to the glass and give it its anti-shatter properties. The laminate sheet is not sold on its own as a part and the only way to replace a damaged or removed laminate sheet is to replace the entire front screen glass panel assembly. As such Sony highly recommends you immediatly install the screen protector included with direct from Sony unbranded Xperia models or purchase a commercially available screen protector for carrier branded units.
    Sigh,remember the pre-installed one is NOT a screen protector. You are supposed to put a screen protector on top of it. This is what Sony has to say about the confusion:

The scratch resistant screen is covered in a non-scratch resistant anti-shatter laminate sheet that will reduce the likelihood of the screen cracking or shattering. This is NOT the top layer intended as the laminate sheet is very easily scratched and attracts lots of dust and fingerprints. You are then supposed to put a screen protector over this laminate sheet which will do a much better job of resisting dirt, fingerprints and scratches than the laminate sheet. One is included in the Xperia packaging in unbranded models. The preinstalled laminate sheet is glued down. It can come off but it will leave a glue residue on the screen that is not easy to get off. The second layer screen protector included with unbranded models just bonds through natural static adhesion onto the laminate sheet rather than a glue.

The laminate sheet can not be replaced on its own after removal from the screen. The laminate sheet is bonded to the screen with heat as part of the production process in order to properly fuse to the glass and give it its anti-shatter properties. The laminate sheet is not sold on its own as a part and the only way to replace a damaged or removed laminate sheet is to replace the entire front screen glass panel assembly. As such Sony highly recommends you immediatly install the screen protector included with direct from Sony unbranded Xperia models or purchase a commercially available screen protector for carrier branded units.

The factory installed piece is a shatter proof sheet, but it is not needed in my opinion. I have removed mine and compared it to the one supplied in the box and they are identical except the shatter proof shield is a tiny bit thicker.

Check this post out http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/194586

Secondly the shatter proof shield sucks for responsiveness. It is one of the main reasons the capacitive buttons aren't very responsive.

Also you can get replacement shatter proof sheets if you call Sony support

http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/197412

Basically I believe the shatter proof sheet to be worthless because even though it will protect the screen it gets scratched easily and reduces responsiveness.
    Who in the right mind would want to install another screen protector on top of it and make it even less responsive. If you want a screen protector remove the shatter proof sheet and put it on. If you drop the phone and it lands on a hard surface on the edges chances are the shatter proof sheet wouldn't have done a damn thing to help anyways. Also the shatter proof sheet creates a hard sharp edge near the translucent strip that annoys me quite a lot. It makes the phone feel cheaper like there is non flush edges due to shoddy construction.

Just my two-cents but I did research this.

I also created a thread listing the pros and cons of removing it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26526024#post26526024

Here's another thread listing about the shatter proof sheet.
    http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/175150

Shatterproof is a stretch because I have seen many Xperia S posts about how their screen has shattered. A little piece of laminate is not going to help. There is even a thread about a guy who had the screen facing outward in his pants and bumped into a table which shattered the screen. Another guy dropped his 2 feet onto concrete, it hit the edge and shattered the screen. So what is the Shatter Proof sheet even good for? Now you tell me if the Shatter-Proof sheet is really Shatter-Proof. I say marketing.

I have seen more shattered iPhones and HTC Evos than any other phones (I work at a university and see people struggling along using a shattered screen). Both are made out of Gorilla Glass which is another item claiming to be shatter proof.

If you replace your screen it comes glued to a new digitizer anyways, so what good is protecting the digitizer beyond being able to use your phone with a cracked screen. I've had old windows mobile screens crack and they didn't have a protector or gorilla glass and they still worked fine even with resistive tech which is more fragile than capacitive.
    Yes, they come with a screen protector preinstalled:) No need to take it of.
    Is this
    uploadfromtaptalk1332519732153.jpg
    A preinstalled screen protector(you can just make it out around the earpiece hole)... I don't wanna start picking at the edges, just incase it's not! :-S

The one in the box
    uploadfromtaptalk1332519813684.jpg
    Is w bit different...

Screen protector

I sent an e-mail to the Sony helpdesk to ask whether this is a screen protector or not.

This is the answer i got from them:

"With regards to your enquiry, I inform you that the Xperia S has a preinstalled protective layer that should not be removed."