Verizon Ending Unlimited Data when you try to Renew Grandfathered Data Plan

Search This thread

donnyp1

May 7, 2008
Wichita
Doesnt matter to me, i only tether when necessary. Most the time at my house my phone goes on my wifi. This probably has something to do with those who abuse tethering by using lte for all their stuff. If you want to complain, thats where i would start, not verizon.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA

flooritnfly

Apr 22, 2011
Elkhart, IN
So pissed.

First off: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: !!!!

OK, there has GOT to be some sort of way around this, or at least a way to delay this from happening to one's self for a bit....

A) What about going out now and purchasing a new LTE device at full retail ahead of your upgrade date (mine is this November)? Will that grant me an extra 2 yrs of unlimited data before I am forced off?

B) And what's this I hear about buying phones directly thru the Play Store and going month-to-month with Vzw? I was hearing you will soon be able to do this and retain unlimited data this way?

There's gotta be a way....I will NOT go to shi**y At&t or Sprint or TMobile......

donnyp1

May 7, 2008
Wichita
How many people really use 4 gigs a month? Thats what i have cox hispeed at home for. I know between cox, vzw, and sirius for car and phone, its expensive, but i have everything i need whenever and wherever i need. I know this sucks for those who abuse it, but shouldnt all around network quality be better if it is limited? Ive been unlimited since the alltel days, im not happy, but the only time i tether is once a week when at my hotel, just to have a secure connection. I can shop around next time, but as much as i travel and work in the sticks, verizon is my best option.

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
How many people really use 4 gigs a month? Thats what i have cox hispeed at home for. I know between cox, vzw, and sirius for car and phone, its expensive, but i have everything i need whenever and wherever i need. I know this sucks for those who abuse it, but shouldnt all around network quality be better if it is limited? Ive been unlimited since the alltel days, im not happy, but the only time i tether is once a week when at my hotel, just to have a secure connection. I can shop around next time, but as much as i travel and work in the sticks, verizon is my best option.

Some of us like myself don't have the luxury of high speed internet at home. I use a lot data because my phone is my internet connection. I don't use most of my data on 4G though because I only get it at my house and I disable it when I'm working because I'm at locations that dont have it so it eats my battery up. They won't keep it like this forever anyway. I remember when 3g came out and they charged people for data pretty much until the whole network was 3g and then by allowed it to be unlimited. Anyhow I don't really see Verizon keeping this up forever. I bet they will lose a lot of customers over this move. If they won't renew my unlimited plan I'm gone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

donnyp1

May 7, 2008
Wichita
But the phone as the internet connection is the problem. Thats not what it was meant for. People playing ps3 or xbox, streaming netflix, torrent downloads. Everyone who is abusing it is why its making them go this route. There is free wifi almost everywhere. People can sign up for home internet service. If your a college student, the activity center will have wifi. I hate paying $54 a month for internet at my home, but i also get up to 50 meg dl, i run all laptops, printers, and all cell phones connect as soon as its in range. If people want to leave for a more crappy network to abuse, let them. The tethering is a big reason phones are getting harder to unlock. The only unlimited in our area is sprint, but they suck outside of big cities. If forcing limits on everyone makes the network better, ill adjust to it, as i always have.

flooritnfly

Apr 22, 2011
Elkhart, IN
Unfortunately I have to tether for work, and also do it at home because my apt's internet selections are wayyyy too much money for the crappy speed. I am sitting at 24gbs right now for this billing cycle, and it resets on the 18th....so I am not ready to pay $220 worth of overages.....outrageous:mad::mad:

donnyp1

May 7, 2008
Wichita
Unfortunately I have to tether for work, and also do it at home because my apt's internet selections are wayyyy too much money for the crappy speed. I am sitting at 24gbs right now for this billing cycle, and it resets on the 18th....so I am not ready to pay $220 worth of overages.....outrageous:mad::mad:

The work is one thing, i mean how much can u use. Ive tethered at eork to upload documents and med supp apps. Its the people using it for homes that are the problem. Not what it was meant for and i dont blame vzw. Wanna play, gotta pay.

nuggetfn22004

Dec 22, 2011
It really is unfortunate that they are going to end up doing this. I don't know what other carriers would be worth switching to. Anyone have any ideas for a carrier/phone that would even be worth going to or is it better to just ride this out and hope for the best?

dizzyman1180

Dec 20, 2010
I have 3 lines on my account and don't use that much!! Well, I will have to find another network as well. I pay enough as it is, not paying anymore. Sorry big red, but I think you will losing a lot of customers.

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

mmarcz

Nov 22, 2006
Well, seeing as how there's nothing groundbreaking that any of the new phones can do that the Thunderbolt can't already do, I'll be using my Thunderbolt until rubber bands and epoxy can't hold it together anymore. I got mine on launch day, and other than the kickstand losing a bit of its finish, the rest of the phone is in perfect condition.

Wife is bummed about not being able to get an iphone5 once it comes out, but maybe after this fails badly for Verizon, and/or there's a big class action lawsuit, and they finally kick in the auxillary retro thrusters, I'll consider getting a new phone then. Sprint LTE is still going to suck because they're still using 1900mhz that doesn't do good building penetration, thats the reason Wimax failed.

I left sprint where I had 25% off monthly for big red.

mmarcz

intender

Jun 11, 2010
I only tether mine when my wife needs to do something for work which is maybe twice a month. Even without tethering I still use 5 gb on a low month. Lots of Pandora and with a 2 year old netflix is a must for long trips, or even when waiting at the doctor or when waiting at a restraunt. If they kill unlimited for me I will either change carriers or go to a feature phone. I love my bolt, but I can move vids to my tablet for my kid and bring my zune back out for music. I'm old enough to remember life before the internet much less mobile anything, and smart enough to not get raped by big red because they want more money. Unfortunately some people are so attached to being connected 24/7 they will pay whatever to keep that data going.

dizzyman1180

Dec 20, 2010
I only tether mine when my wife needs to do something for work which is maybe twice a month. Even without tethering I still use 5 gb on a low month. Lots of Pandora and with a 2 year old netflix is a must for long trips, or even when waiting at the doctor or when waiting at a restraunt. If they kill unlimited for me I will either change carriers or go to a feature phone. I love my bolt, but I can move vids to my tablet for my kid and bring my zune back out for music. I'm old enough to remember life before the internet much less mobile anything, and smart enough to not get raped by big red because they want more money. Unfortunately some people are so attached to being connected 24/7 they will pay whatever to keep that data going.

+1 on this. I'm right there with you. I have this phone with all its cool features, but I don't need it!! Life would be much simpler without it all anyway.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can't believe people still fall for that "data hog" crap. Price increases / loss of unlimited data plans are all about carrier greed, nothing more.

I'm a firm believer of the term "oh well". Most are not going to jump ship because the cell service is phenomenal. And those that do switch Congrats to your ballsy-ness. I am going to pay more, upgrade for a cheaper price, and get switched to a tiered data plan. Oh well. We're in this thing called life, and it sucks. But deal with it. Will I switch to sprint and attempt to download something at 1kb per second, no. Will I switch to T-Mobile and have to stand outside of my house to make a call? No. Will I go to att and deal with the same **** as vzw for less service? No. So vzw aligned fees and plans with other providers. Oh Well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Most of us will be paying a lot more because of the users who feel it necessary to tether multiple devices, use it as their home or work network, and use 20+ gb's a month for one phone. Sucks that we are all getting screwed because some cannot be honest and pay for the hotspot that they should be paying for.

Ok I wish everyone would just stop blaming the <2% of users for Verizon changing their plans. I am unlimited user but only use about 2 GBs of data a month, I am on WiFi at home by choice its just as fast as 4G but I get better battery life, I work in a hospital so WiFi is only way to go at work due to poor signal. There is a very small percent of people who use over 10 GBs of data yet have unlimited data. I would consider if you have unlimited and use under 10 GBs you are a very light user. Now for the people who use over 10 GBs even if they use up to 150 GBs who cares????? You pay for unlimited right? How would you like Verizon to call you and say you had 10,000 text this month we are taking your unlimited text away, or you are using to much unlimited mobile to mobile minutes. They want to attach unlimited to the front of a word and not expect a small percent of users to not test out unlimited like a fat person would an all u can eat buffet. Now grow up and just deal with the change in plans, I plan to buy my phones from Google play store at end of year new nexus devices, can't wait to see them. I won't give up my unlimited data anytime soon.
    If Verizon didn't want me using 25+ GB a month, they shouldn't have sold me a phone that I can connect up to 8 devices to and an unlimited tethering package to go with it. Nashville is like Apple fan-boi central anyway. Everywhere you look, you see iPhones. I pretty much have the LTE network here to myself.

As far as keeping this, I'm perfectly alright with paying full price for a phone from here on out.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Sprints not an option. Their rural service is almost zero. I rely on coverage everywhere more than 4g and unlimited data. When my agents ride with me out in rural areas, tmobile, sprint, and att are almost completely dead.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using XDA