[Q] How do I add APNs on Verizon Galaxy S3 running 4.1.1?

Search This thread

expatabroad

Jan 12, 2013
I have a Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-I535) running Android 4.1.1. I was told by Verizon prior to moving to England that, with this version of Android which unlocked the "world phone" capabilities (GSM), that I would be able to use my phone abroad with a new sim on a local network.

Fast forward a few weeks, and I am in England with an Orange sim in my phone. I have no problems with voice, but I cannot access any data services (I have no trouble receiving texts, but cannot send them - I think this is a problem with the sim though). After searching around the internet for a while, it seems that the solution to my problem would be to add the Orange APN settings to my phone.

HOWEVER, Verizon's version of 4.1.1 does not allow you to edit APN settings! When you go to the APN menu, there is nothing displayed and the only settings option is to Reset to Default.

The closest thing I've found to a solution is here, but it's a bit out of date as the method isn't for 4.1.1. I'm a bit wary of rooting my phone and installing a rom, as I've never done anything like that before.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing that might be able to offer a solution? I would be willing to root my phone if necessary, but I'd need to be directed to a pretty explicit noob guide for doing that :silly:

Thanks!

prdog1

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, Texas
Search this same thread and the APN fixes are here. There is also an APN fix in Note 2 forum that should work. Once you change APN should be good to go with Orange. Say hi to my Uncle in Birmingham. He on Orange also. Cheers. :laugh::cool:

sundayradio

Jan 15, 2013
What ended up being your solution?

I'm going to Italy tomorrow with a Verizon S3 and APN settings are locked. The phone is rooted and I would love to be able to use a local SIM on data!

Thanks in advance.

expatabroad

Jan 12, 2013
What ended up being your solution?

I'm going to Italy tomorrow with a Verizon S3 and APN settings are locked. The phone is rooted and I would love to be able to use a local SIM on data!

Thanks in advance.

No solution yet. I'm going to look at the link above when I can get some time to sit down and focus on it. Hopefully it fixes it.

BTW, although it's billed as a CDMA phone, it is able to operate on GSM as well. That's the whole "world phone" thing that Verizon has been talking about.

ddgarcia05

Mar 28, 2010
Edinburg / Mcallen, Texas
BTW, although it's billed as a CDMA phone, it is able to operate on GSM as well. That's the whole "world phone" thing that Verizon has been talking about.

I understand it's a world phone, but I wanted to drop that in because I wasn't sure if the Toolkit states "CDMA" under the device selection screen. I know the Galaxy Nexus or Razr Toolkit specifically stated CDMA. I just didn't want you to accidentally pick the wrong one. After looking at screen shots of the Toolkit you shouldn't have a problem it doesn't mention CDMA only Verizon is stated.

deca2499

Jan 27, 2013
Unable to add APN.

Search this same thread and the APN fixes are here. There is also an APN fix in Note 2 forum that should work. Once you change APN should be good to go with Orange. Say hi to my Uncle in Birmingham. He on Orange also. Cheers. :laugh::cool:

Hey there,

Sorry for going there, but I have not been able to find a fix for adding in the APN on a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III. I have it on Cincinnati Bell at the moment, and have it rooted. I have voice and text, but not data. I have used the APN Manager Pro to see the APN that I need to use, but for some reason it will not use it or be able to edit it? Any thoughts?

sundayradio

Jan 15, 2013
Hey there,

Sorry for going there, but I have not been able to find a fix for adding in the APN on a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III. I have it on Cincinnati Bell at the moment, and have it rooted. I have voice and text, but not data. I have used the APN Manager Pro to see the APN that I need to use, but for some reason it will not use it or be able to edit it? Any thoughts?

Yes.

Get titanium backup pro and make apn mgr pro a system app.

You should be good after that.

This is confirmed working on Vodafone Italy and ill post results from China and hk in about a month

Reactions: gabrielpc1190

SGS3noob

Mar 14, 2013
I have a very similar problem. I have a Samsung S3, not rooted, but unlocked from Verizon. I have been in Kandahar for a month or so. My SGS3 with a local provider will make and receive calls great when coverage is there. My problem is, I can only seem to text local here not back to the US, or get email and no Google Talk. I went to the shop where I got my card here, they told me that Verizon needed to unlock my phone. I know it is unlocked but I made the call home, Verizon told me what I already knew. I went back into the store, once again, next they said Verizon needed to unlock my APN? I called again, finally I got a response from Verizon saying that Samsung needs to release the patch so Verizon can unlock it. If anyone knows of such a APN patch I would greatly appreciate it. My lap top screen got cracked during a patrol so doing all of this and email is quite the B!tch! I have always had success with this forum and hope it will continue. Once I send my lap top back home to be warrantied, I will not have any way of getting the usual business done for at least a month. I'm trying to hold off on the lap top until I can get my phone fully functional. I do not have internet connection on my phone, just my computer, I guess that is the APN, that is still locked. I could do all of this if I had WiFi, but it is not allowed here by the company that provides internet. They do have WiFi in some areas, but it is always bogged down with everyone else trying to use it. Also, I am not too sure if I want to attempt to do a root, the internet service here is very slow. Thanks for your help. Please remember, I am atleast 8 1/2 hours ahead of you, so response time will be delayed.

A very helpful member of GalaxyS3forums sent me here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey there,

Yes.

Get titanium backup pro and make apn mgr pro a system app.

You should be good after that.

This is confirmed working on Vodafone Italy and ill post results from China and hk in about a month