[Q] Defy battery life

Search This thread
Jan 16, 2014
Just a question for Defy plus users. With which ROM-Kernel have you experienced to have the best battery life in your opinion? I used to have 3 days with stock GB. In CM10.1 and 10.2 barely lasts a day...I'm about to try CM7.2 or flash a different kernel on 10.2 if thats possible.

hotdog125

Sep 19, 2012
Bangalore
Just a question for Defy plus users. With which ROM-Kernel have you experienced to have the best battery life in your opinion? I used to have 3 days with stock GB. In CM10.1 and 10.2 barely lasts a day...I'm about to try CM7.2 or flash a different kernel on 10.2 if thats possible.

Try CM7.2, its very stable. CM10.1 and CM10.2 have a custom kernel, there's no other kernel around, so you have to stick with the kernel CM10.x gives. My battery life with CM is much better than the battery on stock GB. I get atleast 2 days with moderate use (whatsapp, messaging, browsing, camera). You have to investigate why battery life is bad. Get betterbatterystats and check for wakelocks.

Reactions: PerryTrademark
Jan 16, 2014
Try CM7.2, its very stable. CM10.1 and CM10.2 have a custom kernel, there's no other kernel around, so you have to stick with the kernel CM10.x gives. My battery life with CM is much better than the battery on stock GB. I get atleast 2 days with moderate use (whatsapp, messaging, browsing, camera). You have to investigate why battery life is bad. Get betterbatterystats and check for wakelocks.

Tryied to flash CM7.2 stable (after converting ex4 to ext3) but bootloader came with an error...Then i flashed stock 2.3.6 sbf to start from the beginning and after flashing CM7.2 i have the same error again...Any advice? Thanks in advance

Oct 6, 2012
Defy+ MB526

Running a Defy+ with CM10 and my moderate(data,whatsapp,some music,camera and wifi) usage gives me about 24 hours. The thing is, I'm mostly on wifi (give or take about 12hrs) the rest in outside with data. IF i go with data the whole day, I think i only get about 12 hours. With data, battery life is really bad.

Installed betterbatterystats and it shows for kernel wakelock, is mostly wl1271_wake. while for partial wakelock, its NlpCollectorWakeLock (Google Services)

Also, my baseband is South East Asia (where I am located) with 3.4.3-361

Is this normal? How can I get my phone to last 1.5 days at least like some users here get?

Antiga Prime

Sep 25, 2012
Running a Defy+ with CM10 and my moderate(data,whatsapp,some music,camera and wifi) usage gives me about 24 hours. The thing is, I'm mostly on wifi (give or take about 12hrs) the rest in outside with data. IF i go with data the whole day, I think i only get about 12 hours. With data, battery life is really bad.

Installed betterbatterystats and it shows for kernel wakelock, is mostly wl1271_wake. while for partial wakelock, its NlpCollectorWakeLock (Google Services)

Is this normal? How can I get my phone to last 1.5 days at least like some users here get?

First of all, don't turn on your phone if you don't need to use it. Second, wifi tends to use battery power and in some earlier ROMs I remember it used to cause the phone to not sleep properly, which might be your case since you're still on CM 10. I use Deep Sleep Battery Saver to turn my wifi on/off every certain amount of minutes.

I disable most, if not all, Google services and enable them only when I need them, since they send alarms every now and then to make sure your phone is online.

In BBS check which apps are setting the most alarms, and either disable them or you can use Autostarts or App Settings (Xposed module + xposed framework) to disable the receiver for the specific app that is waking your phone, and see if it works (some apps crash).

In my case, I'm currently at 62% with 18 hours of usage, and I haven't even done all that I mentioned above, with Google's location service having woken my phone 426 times, and Line 408, which is nasty in itself.

Reactions: coldfusionhybrid
Jan 16, 2014

I had about 24 hours with CM10.2 on defy+ too...Then i switched to tha latest nightly CM7.2 and now i get 2 days or more...

Reactions: coldfusionhybrid
Oct 6, 2012
In my case, I'm currently at 62% with 18 hours of usage, and I haven't even done all that I mentioned above, with Google's location service having woken my phone 426 times, and Line 408, which is nasty in itself.

Now, thats what I'm talking about! Some useful tips there too, will give them a shot.

I also use Battery Widget Reborn to show me my battery usage graphically. Based on my observation, being on wifi consumes very little. Running purely on data consumes more (even when I turn wifi search off). Perhaps the newer build works ok with wifi now.

How do I disable these Google services?

Also, you mentioned you haven't done 'all' yet, may I ask what you have done so far that got you to 62% with 18h of usage?

Thanks again :)

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

I had about 24 hours with CM10.2 on defy+ too...Then i switched to tha latest nightly CM7.2 and now i get 2 days or more...

Also some good times but I'll try stay away from CM7.2 as best I can. Thats just me though. Thanks for sharing those times, will keep it in mind.

luweitest

Oct 25, 2013
What I have found until now is, Google location service is a battery hog, which can be seen from wakelock. In ettings->location & security, turn off GPS and wireless networks both. And what I am now experiencing is signal searching related battery drain is very big, like poor signal, 2G/3G switching, sticking in WCDMA and not able to switch back to GSM, those cannot be seen from wakelock.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

First of all, don't turn on your phone if you don't need to use it. Second, wifi tends to use battery power and in some earlier ROMs I remember it used to cause the phone to not sleep properly, which might be your case since you're still on CM 10. I use Deep Sleep Battery Saver to turn my wifi on/off every certain amount of minutes.

I disable most, if not all, Google services and enable them only when I need them, since they send alarms every now and then to make sure your phone is online.

In BBS check which apps are setting the most alarms, and either disable them or you can use Autostarts or App Settings (Xposed module + xposed framework) to disable the receiver for the specific app that is waking your phone, and see if it works (some apps crash).