[simple]How to stop OTA's[tutorial]

Search This thread

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
Mine only says "Unavailable" because I skipped out of box experience and didnt register to test this. :| yours will still have your email and everything linked so dont worry!

Alright, I'm going to start off with saying that what this does is turn off FOTA for you by modifying data for devicemanager. How do you do it?

Well, let's begin.

12/22/11: New tweaks, FOTA checkin timer = 0 (no checks anymore), Build key difference, FOTA mode = disabled and a few other FOTA tweaks.

First: Download the files unzip them, and put all 3 into the TitaniumBackup folder on your sdcard (you need to download Titanium backup from market for this just FYI).

Then start titanium backup, grant root if you havent already and restore "DeviceManagerService 2.3.4" and then poof! You have now blocked OTA's. :) I'll actually try and make this happen in my script so new people can do it but you can tell if it worked by going into settings>about my nook>Version Number:9.9.9

Download link?:
here

FAQ
Will this stop me from buying anything from B&N?
NO! You will keep everything and the ability to buy. This does nothing to the services aside from makes a few minor SQL tweaks that affect the devices ability to OTA.
Can this break my device?
No! This process actually holds no risk. It should always work no matter what and since we caught it early on, we can prevent further updates that can fix this.
Are you awesome Indirect?
Yes, yes I am. Now enjoy all the crap I released for you guys :)

IMG_20111222_043237.jpg

Spoof.png

Last edited:

tep065

:D Thank you for your work :) Now, does this block any and all interaction with B&N servers (in case I(or anyone else) want to actually purchase a book or app from B&N) or just prevents receiving/installing the update? Also, will it prevent future updates or is it just coded for 1.4.1?

Completed. Thank you again :). My best friend is a Nook "lead" at B&N and she is getting a kick out of our shenanigans. She actually gave it to me as an X-mas present. So thank you again for your work on the Tablet. I (we) look forward to more of your adventures in Nookdom. hehehe

Last edited:

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
This is the sqlite method just provides you with files to download and install...this really isn't that complicated. -.- versus having to actually modify the SQL on the device, its already done for you. Just trust it works, install, and ignore everyone *****ing about updates. Now I'm going back to bed before someone crosses me by asking a stupid question.

Sent by breaking the sound barrier

dermotti

Jul 20, 2010
Restored your files and mine says version not availablr, not 9.9.9

Is something wrong?

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk

Cubanluke88

Nov 18, 2011
Connecticut
Thanks a lot, really appreciate this. My girlfriend is getting a NT for Christmas and I want her to handle the tinkering and guides like these will be of great help to her.

Just a couple questions. Does this work because the OTA updates check to see if you are on a lower version than what is put out (thus the 9.9.9)?

Also, just to clarify, when you said you want to put this into your script, you mean the rooting method you have posted?

Thanks again for all your work. I know B&N hasn't made this stuff easy but I personally think part of the fun is having to outsmart them :)

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
Thanks a lot, really appreciate this. My girlfriend is getting a NT for Christmas and I want her to handle the tinkering and guides like these will be of great help to her.

Just a couple questions. Does this work because the OTA updates check to see if you are on a lower version than what is put out (thus the 9.9.9)?

Also, just to clarify, when you said you want to put this into your script, you mean the rooting method you have posted?

Thanks again for all your work. I know B&N hasn't made this stuff easy but I personally think part of the fun is having to outsmart them :)

1) As I havent received notification of update yet, I don't know if they check version but it should if their recovery isnt crap however this has the FOTA check disabled so it should not even attempt to update it.

2)I meant my rooting script, yes.

Reactions: Sigilist

itchytweed

Aug 17, 2008
Two thumbs up!!

Thanks for the hack. Once my NT was rooted, I put it to work. Now it is an excellent tool to use at work and the larger display makes life easier.

jimmysuggs

Nov 16, 2011
I just wanna clarify here: if we've already used the SQLite method and changed the fota value from auto to manual, there's no reason for us to use this new method, right? This is just an easier version of manually editing the file?

If so and if this actually works, isn't this confirmation that changing the fota value from auto to manual actually works? So far everyone's just keeping their fingers crossed, but if indirect is saying that that method actually does the trick- I'm inclined to believe it.

wwwdrich

Nov 2, 2005
San Jose, CA
Indirect,
Although multiple people have already said it, thanks for all your work on the Nook! I now no longer have to worry about leaving WiFi on and having all of the work I've done since I got this thing undone!

Of course, B&N will come up with a way around this for their next update, but at least we're safe for now.

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
I just wanna clarify here: if we've already used the SQLite method and changed the fota value from auto to manual, there's no reason for us to use this new method, right? This is just an easier version of manually editing the file?

If so and if this actually works, isn't this confirmation that changing the fota value from auto to manual actually works? So far everyone's just keeping their fingers crossed, but if indirect is saying that that method actually does the trick- I'm inclined to believe it.

It's not just the FOTA edit, it changes a few things that OTA's typically check before no matter what. I just suggest you do this incase. :p

Reactions: Sigilist

jimmysuggs

Nov 16, 2011
Okay in that case, glad I asked. I won't be able to try this for a few days but believe me the second I'm able- I will be doing this (and keeping my fingers crossed). Thanks again indirect and everyone else who's contributed info on this subject.

skyward01

Dec 5, 2010
Houston, TX
Not sure what happend. Titanium backup says devicemanagerservice 2.3.4 has been updated, a bunch of aps in the restore section of titanium backup have 2.3.4 next to them, but my software version still says 1.4.0?

Sent from my rooted Nook Tablet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mine only says "Unavailable" because I skipped out of box experience and didnt register to test this. :| yours will still have your email and everything linked so dont worry!

Alright, I'm going to start off with saying that what this does is turn off FOTA for you by modifying data for devicemanager. How do you do it?

Well, let's begin.

12/22/11: New tweaks, FOTA checkin timer = 0 (no checks anymore), Build key difference, FOTA mode = disabled and a few other FOTA tweaks.

First: Download the files unzip them, and put all 3 into the TitaniumBackup folder on your sdcard (you need to download Titanium backup from market for this just FYI).

Then start titanium backup, grant root if you havent already and restore "DeviceManagerService 2.3.4" and then poof! You have now blocked OTA's. :) I'll actually try and make this happen in my script so new people can do it but you can tell if it worked by going into settings>about my nook>Version Number:9.9.9

Download link?:
    here

FAQ
    Will this stop me from buying anything from B&N?
    NO! You will keep everything and the ability to buy. This does nothing to the services aside from makes a few minor SQL tweaks that affect the devices ability to OTA.
    Can this break my device?
    No! This process actually holds no risk. It should always work no matter what and since we caught it early on, we can prevent further updates that can fix this.
    Are you awesome Indirect?
    Yes, yes I am. Now enjoy all the crap I released for you guys :)

IMG_20111222_043237.jpg

Spoof.png
    This is the sqlite method just provides you with files to download and install...this really isn't that complicated. -.- versus having to actually modify the SQL on the device, its already done for you. Just trust it works, install, and ignore everyone *****ing about updates. Now I'm going back to bed before someone crosses me by asking a stupid question.

Sent by breaking the sound barrier
    Made even more tweaks this time. FOTA checkin is now updated to 0 (0 means not at all) and a few other things. Updated link in OP.
    Can anyone Please post the original files that were modified did the restore and forgot to save the originals...

Ditto that request.

Thanks!

I have attached the original B&N Nook Tablet Device Manager files that Indirect's files in the OP replaced.

I would like to suggest my earlier thread here which helps alleviate this type of issue.