SD Card willl NOT mount on boot. Is there a fix?

Search This thread

APEX.7

Jun 14, 2009
Yorkshire
Hi guys, first of thanks for taking the time to consider helping me.

Basically, last night randomly my g1 just switched off. When i try to boot up, goes to g1 screen, then boot image, then blank screen.

Boot into recovery, and it doesnt register i have an sd card in it, i wanted to wipe and reflash cm, or nandroid restore. - but cant do either as it doesnt think i have an sd card inserted.

Any ideas how to fix?

Many thanks

A

AdrianK

Try mounting it on your computer, copying everything over and formatting. You can either put the card in an external reader or try to mount it via usb in recovery using 'ums_enable' and 'ums_disable'.

APEX.7

Jun 14, 2009
Yorkshire
Try mounting it on your computer, copying everything over and formatting. You can either put the card in an external reader or try to mount it via usb in recovery using 'ums_enable' and 'ums_disable'.

thanks Adrian. it wont let me mount it though, because it doesnt recognice that there is an sd card inserted. iv tried 3 different sd card, and it doesnt recognice that any of them have been inserted, so i figure its not my sd. :/

A

AdrianK

thanks Adrian. it wont let me mount it though, because it doesnt recognice that there is an sd card inserted. iv tried 3 different sd card, and it doesnt recognice that any of them have been inserted, so i figure its not my sd. :/

Hmmm... I guess the only thing left to try is formatting it externally and trying again.

xidominicanoix

Oct 9, 2006
FL
righto. urm, noob question, is it possible to apply an update.zip via a different method? since its not recognising sd cards, can i flash a different way? thanks

i think an sdcard is necessary to apply an update.zip .. however if you have access to a nandroid backup you could fastboot flash the system, data, and boot .img's without an sdcard

Carloswithac

Jan 28, 2009
Pacific Beach
thanks, how would i go about doing this?

Do a search in android development. It should be under Nandroid backup.

Basically you boot into fastboot and do these commands via adb:

fastboot flash system system.img

fastboot flash userdata data.img

fastboot flash boot boot.img

fastboot reboot.

Look for the thread, though. It's been a while since I've used fastboot.

A

AdrianK

thanks, how would i go about doing this?

Using fastboot you can flash each part seperatly via usb, problem is ROMs are never distributed as seperate img's, just one update.zip. Buuuuuuut if your sd card will mount in your computer and you can find your nandroid folder, you will see that they are saved as multiple img's.

Once you have fastboot set up (instructions here) put the boot .img in the same directory as the fastboot executable. Boot the phone in to the SPL (home + camera) and enable fastboot. Then 'cd' to the fastboot directory in the command prompt or terminal (depending on OS) and type:

Code:
fastboot flash system system.img

If you're on a unix based OS, you maybe need to put a './' before that command.

Afterwards reboot your phone using 'fastboot reboot' (again you may need the './').

A

AdrianK

Almost forgot, make sure you clear the cache and data partitions first:

Code:
fastboot erase cache

fastboot erase userdata