just bought 'open box' Nexus 10 - Bricked?

Search This thread

talboy

Oct 14, 2007
HI all,

I have just bought an open box nexus 10 which means its new but has been opened and apparently been tested to be working. the company i bought it off say they tested it working before sending it out to me..

I got it today and started it, it loaded fine then asked for me google details and wifi..

Once done it loaded fine and i was on the home screen, it then rebooted itself and then since then it has not been able to reboot, it says the white google then some colours start to come in from the sides and it reboots again..

I have tried to go into recovery and factory reset both cache and data but that didnt work..

I am just trying the nexus toolkit now but i have no idea of which version of android it is actually running right now or have any idea if USB debugging is activated but i assume it isnt as i have not had a chance to do it..

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i dont really want to return it as it is from a friends company and i got it at cost price and he has no stock left!

talboy

Oct 14, 2007
device information
Prod Name - Manta
H/W - 8
bootloader - MANTAMF01
Carrier info - none
Lock state - locked
Roboot mode flag - None

if any of that helps?

talboy

Oct 14, 2007
device information
Prod Name - Manta
H/W - 8
bootloader - MANTAMF01
Carrier info - none
Lock state - locked
Roboot mode flag - None

if any of that helps?

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
Do the colors make 4 circles and twirl around in a circle? If so your on KitKat. If it names an x shape your on jelly bean. Just use the toolkit select the version your on. I'm guessing your on 4.4 or 4.4.2 KitKat. Then select flash back to stock or whatever the option is. IRS all the way on the right.

Sent from my white Nexus 5 using xda-developers app.
Please press the thanks button if I help you.

talboy

Oct 14, 2007
I have managed to go through one full cycle of trying to flash the 4.4.2 from the toolkit but it says failed remote - locked use fastboot oem unlock. then after that it simply says booting up your freshly flashed device...

But if i try to reboot it does the same thing, problem i am having is that the bootloop doesnt even allow the colours to merge from the sides it reboots even before they meet in the middle of the screen??

ANy idea what to do now?

ps thanks for the reply!

Last edited:

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
I have managed to go through one full cycle of trying to flash the 4.4.2 from the toolkit but it says failed remote - locked use fastboot oem unlock. then after that it simply says booting up your freshly flashed device...

But if i try to reboot it does the same thing, problem i am having is that the bootloop doesnt even allow the colours to merge from the sides it reboots even before they meet in the middle of the screen??

ANy idea what to do now?

ps thanks for the reply!

OK. Open up the folder with the downloaded factory image from the toolkit. You'll find it under data/factory images I think in the toolkit files. Extract it. Are you familiar with adb? Because you'll need it. Copy the system, userdata, boot, and recovery images that we just extracted and paste them in the data folder. From there (I'm assuming you use windows) open a command window by holding shift and right clicking and you'll see the option. After that type "fastboot devices" then enter without the quotations and you should see you're device listed. (It needs to be connected in fast boot mode via USB cable). From there you need to use the commands "fastboot flash system system.img" repeat this with the boot, recovery, and userdata. But replace the system and system.img with the appropriate word fur example "fastboot flash boot boot.img" without quotes. That is a manual way of resetting. it should fix any soft ware issues. If that Durant work it might be a hard ware problem b and you might need to return it but in pretty sure it should.

Good luck and of you need any help or explanations just ask.

talboy

Oct 14, 2007
OK. Open up the folder with the downloaded factory image from the toolkit. You'll find it under data/factory images I think in the toolkit files. Extract it. Are you familiar with adb? Because you'll need it. Copy the system, userdata, boot, and recovery images that we just extracted and paste them in the data folder. From there (I'm assuming you use windows) open a command window by holding shift and right clicking and you'll see the option. After that type "fastboot devices" then enter without the quotations and you should see you're device listed. (It needs to be connected in fast boot mode via USB cable). From there you need to use the commands "fastboot flash system system.img" repeat this with the boot, recovery, and userdata. But replace the system and system.img with the appropriate word fur example "fastboot flash boot boot.img" without quotes. That is a manual way of resetting. it should fix any soft ware issues. If that Durant work it might be a hard ware problem b and you might need to return it but in pretty sure it should.

Good luck and of you need any help or explanations just ask.

Massive thanks for this explanation..

I am not sure what ADB is? do i need to have any specific software or do i simply follow the instructios that you have given?

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
Just follow the instructions. Normally you'd need to download a package but that comes with the wug tool kit so your all ready to go.

Also If you want to unlock the bootloader beforehand type in "fastboot oem unlock" it'll make it easier if you ever want to flash a custom rom or recovery later because it wipes all your days and since you have no data you might as well do it now. But if your not interested in ROM then don't bother.

Also please press thee thanks Button if it helps. Thanks

talboy

Oct 14, 2007
Just follow the instructions. Normally you'd need to download a package but that comes with the wug tool kit so your all ready to go.

Also If you want to unlock the bootloader beforehand type in "fastboot oem unlock" it'll make it easier if you ever want to flash a custom rom or recovery later because it wipes all your days and since you have no data you might as well do it now. But if your not interested in ROM then don't bother.

Also please press thee thanks Button if it helps. Thanks

ok so i am stuck right at the start, im sorry! So to open the command prompt i hold shift and right click, there is no option for command prompt? Should i just open CMD as normal?

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
ok so i am stuck right at the start, im sorry! So to open the command prompt i hold shift and right click, there is no option for command prompt? Should i just open CMD as normal?

You need to be in the folder. Open the folder then hold shift then open it. Is that what you did?

talboy

Oct 14, 2007
You need to be in the folder. Open the folder then hold shift then open it. Is that what you did?

Sorry i got it, right click when in the data folder.. command open with the wugfresh development

talboy

Oct 14, 2007
just going through the process now as i type.. first one failed saying invalid partition but then said about flashboot oem unlock so i have done that first and it now seems to be allowing the system.img to be flashed..

fingers crossed it works!

talboy

Oct 14, 2007
ok flashed all of the .img resterted it and now it just says google on the screen with an unlocked padlock at the bottom, been like that for 30 secs so far, seems to have done somehting as previously it was just going into the animation and restarting..

Should i be doing a factory reset?

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
ok flashed all of the .img resterted it and now it just says google on the screen with an unlocked padlock at the bottom, been like that for 30 secs so far, seems to have done somehting as previously it was just going into the animation and restarting..

Should i be doing a factory reset?

If it shows the Google image then there's a kernel so the boot image was successful but if it doesn't go past it means you have no ROM so the system flash must have failed. Terry flashing system again. Sorry for the late response

talboy

Oct 14, 2007
no problem thanks for the help so far!! just reflashed system this time it it is coming up with the google sign and unlocked pad and its doing the same as before now...

its just starting the animation for a milisec then rebooting...

any idea?

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
no problem thanks for the help so far!! just reflashed system this time it it is coming up with the google sign and unlocked pad and its doing the same as before now...

its just starting the animation for a milisec then rebooting...

any idea?

I'm not sure why it isn't working:confused:

Well now that your boot loader is unlocked you can try the toolkit again and see of it works. Use the option that says factory reset or unbrick or whatever it says and choose stuck in bootloop. Then follow the instructions if that v doesn't work is recommend locking the bootloader using "fastboot oem lock" and trying to return it.

Or you could wait a little and see if someo else has ideas. Try the toolkit again first though

talboy

Oct 14, 2007
thanks man you have been super helpful an di appreciate it a lot, hopefully it starts to work if not at least we gave it a chance.

Ill try the toolkit again and see if that does anything if not then back it goes!

talboy

Oct 14, 2007
retried the toolkit same thing, no joy still doesnt work...

thanks for the help..

does anyone else have any ideas? if not back it goes tomorrow

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
retried the toolkit same thing, no joy still doesnt work...

thanks for the help..

does anyone else have any ideas? if not back it goes tomorrow

Make sure if you return it to do the lock bootloader command first.