Search This thread

Sloth

Inactive RC / Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Driver problems...get HTC Sync Manager HERE

Latest version of SuperSU can be found HERE

New official TWRP download page

If you are having issues with the "Official" TWRP in the folder I recommend this one... HERE

Those of you that insist on taking the OTA follow these steps:
How to go back to stock recovery after unlocking/TWRP/SU to take OTA update and how to revert back afterwards:
This assumes you have used this procedure to root phone. Doesn’t mean this procedure won’t work if you have used variants of that method or a different method, but whether these steps will work if that’s the case I don’t know.

1. Turn phone off
2. Boot into bootloader
3. Choose fastboot
4. Connect phone to computer through USB cable
5. Open elevated command prompt and navigate to folder where the stock recovery is located
6. Type at prompt: “fastboot flash recovery filename.img” without the quotation marks (where filename is the name of the stock recovery image you want to flash). You’ll see something like this:
C:\RootM8 (1)>fastboot flash recovery stockrec.img
target reported max download size of 1830711296 bytes
sending 'recovery' (24576 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.721s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 1.106s]
finished. total time: 2.830s
7. Reboot phone
Your phone now has the stock recovery, and it’s still rooted, but not for long :) . You can now proceed to take OTA update, at which point you will probably lose root, and then follow original procedure to flash TWRP recovery again, and then root again.

Last edited:

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Sup XDA :D
I'm not a Dev so this is my contribution to the HTC One-(M8)-Sprint community.

This is a DIY root method. By doing it yourself you will learn some basic knowledge about using cmd windows,using ADB,using fastboot.
This is also the same method used in my Guide for the HTC One-Sprint (M7).

Unlock your bootloader - www.htcdev.com Follow the instructions at HtcDev to unlock your bootloader.

Flash TWRP Recovery - (refer to the Read Me First Text on how to fastboot flash TWRP Recovery)

Flash SuperSU - (copy to sdcard and flash from TWRP) (Lollipop may require the latest version of SuperSU...link in post 2)

<---- If this guide helped you buy me a coffee :p

Using this method will NOT give you S-OFF it will help you unlock your bootloader(HTC-DEV) flash a custom recovery(TWRP for now CWM and PhilZTouch may come in the future ) and install the Superuser app of your choice.

What's included:
Read Me Text (instructions,ADB commands, and whatnot)
ADB Tool
Latest HTC Drivers v4.2.0.001 and HTC BMP USB Drivers v1.0.5375(32 and 64 bit versions)
TWRP openrecovery v2.7.0.0
SuperSU.apk v1.94

Changelog:

03/28/14 Initial Release
03/31/14 Edited ReadMe to reflect that you can choose "HTC One M8" rather than "All other devices" at Htc Dev when unlocking bootloader. Thanks @rhe12 for the heads up.
03/31/14 Added Stock Recovery if you feel the need to go back to stock and take an OTA :eek:
04/01/14 Updated ReadMeFirst text with feedback given by @rhe12
04/07/14 Updated adb and fastboot goodies
04/11/14 Added links to alternate recoveries in Post 2
05/31/14 Added Stock Recovery zip below
11/06/14 Updated Stock Recovery zip
11/18/14 Updated SuperSU to 2.16
11/18/14 Updated PhilZ Touch to 6.26.6
11/18/14 Added Captain_Throwbacks version of TWRP
03/01/15 Added a link to latest SuperSU in post 2
03/01/15 Added a link to HTC Sync Manager in post 2
07/20/15 Added link to New Official TWRP download page in post 2

I would like to thank:
Zedomax (this is and updated version of what he did for the HTC Evo 4G LTE)
TeamWin (for TWRP)
Captain_Throwback for his version of TWRP
Chainfire (for SuperSU)
The Awesome XDA Community

wwjoshdew Videos:
Coming soon.

filmaker Videos:
Root the Sprint HTC One M8

Root Files Below
AFH
Mirror
Stock Recoveries for the Sprint M8 (All stock recoveries including HK).

Frequently Asked Questions - HTC One-M8-Sprint(m8_whl).

Disclaimer:
Code:
* Standard disclaimer: 
* Your warranty is now void.  Use at your own risk.
* In other words: It is your choice to use these files.
* I am not responsible for any damage or problems you may have!

I suggest extracting it to a folder on your desktop so you can find it and start by reading the Read Me Text.

I will update this thread as updates become available.

Last edited:

wwjoshdew

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com
I pre-ordered the Google Play Edition. So I'll have many videos of that bad boy when it finally comes. Thanks Big Daddy, force once again being awesome!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sloth

harrybozack

Mar 5, 2007
Just a general question about S-OFF...only advantage to that route (which doesn't exist yet for our phone) is that it doesn't void the warranty/etc?

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Just a general question about S-OFF...only advantage to that route (which doesn't exist yet for our phone) is that it doesn't void the warranty/etc?
IMO it's always a good idea to have s-off if it's available.
Unlocking your bootloader "may" void your warranty.
With s-off it's easier to get your bootloader back to Locked rather then Re-locked

harrybozack

Mar 5, 2007
IMO it's always a good idea to have s-off if it's available.
Unlocking your bootloader "may" void your warranty.
With s-off it's easier to get your bootloader back to Locked rather then Re-locked
Cool, thanks for putting all this together. I'm not sure it's worth doing it this early if S-OFF may be coming soon...at least by the time some more ROMs show up.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Cool, thanks for putting all this together. I'm not sure it's worth doing it this early if S-OFF may be coming soon...at least by the time some more ROMs show up.
Well right now no permanent changes can be made to system, unless done from recovery. S-OFF will certainly remedy that, as well as allow for the red disclaimer and tampered flags to be removed.

rhe12

Jun 4, 2012
Well right now no permanent changes can be made to system, unless done from recovery. S-OFF will certainly remedy that, as well as allow for the red disclaimer and tampered flags to be removed.

Apologies for the noob question, but it is my understanding that one can use the above method and still S-OFF when it becomes available, correct? If so I'll try it, but if not I'll wait.

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Apologies for the noob question, but it is my understanding that one can use the above method and still S-OFF when it becomes available, correct? If so I'll try it, but if not I'll wait.
Can't really answer as we don't currently have an s-off exploit.
That said most of the recent exploits have required you to have an unlocked device.
I still have not even opened my M8 yet lol.

rhe12

Jun 4, 2012
Can't really answer as we don't currently have an s-off exploit.
That said most of the recent exploits have required you to have an unlocked device.
I still have not even opened my M8 yet lol.

Thanks for the reply. So there is a chance that doing the above will irreversibly impede S-OFFing in the future? I guess that's what I'm trying to ask. Perhaps another way of asking it is, is the above method reversible in case it needs to be reversed to implement the S-OFF exploit? Again, apologies for the noob questions. Just trying to carefully find my way around the subject. TIA.

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Thanks for the reply. So there is a chance that doing the above will irreversibly impede S-OFFing in the future? I guess that's what I'm trying to ask. Perhaps another way of asking it is, is the above method reversible in case it needs to be reversed to implement the S-OFF exploit? Again, apologies for the noob questions. Just trying to carefully find my way around the subject. TIA.
Yes it is reversible. :)

rhe12

Jun 4, 2012
Yes it is reversible. :)

Ok thanks, appreciate the fast response. I think I'm going to give it a try. Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

BTW in your readmefirst document you stated: "Visit www.htcdev.com to unlock your bootloader,login or create an account, select "Unlock Bootloader",click "Get Started",from the drop down window below "Supported Devices" choose "All Other Supported Models", click "Begin Unlock Bootloader"."

Just wanted to let you know there is now an entry in that drop down menu for the HTC ONE M8, in case you want to update that document.

Reactions: Sloth

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
Ok thanks, appreciate the fast response. I think I'm going to give it a try. Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

BTW in your readmefirst document you stated: "Visit www.htcdev.com to unlock your bootloader,login or create an account, select "Unlock Bootloader",click "Get Started",from the drop down window below "Supported Devices" choose "All Other Supported Models", click "Begin Unlock Bootloader"."

Just wanted to let you know there is now an entry in that drop down menu for the HTC ONE M8, in case you want to update that document.
Cool thanks for the heads up :D
I'll change it now and it will be added to the next update.

rhe12

Jun 4, 2012
Cool thanks for the heads up :D
I'll change it now and it will be added to the next update.

NP. So I am in the middle of doing this. I successfully unlocked the bootloader. When phone rebooted went through the whole first set up until it settle down, then powered off the phone, went back into fastboot, connected USB, gave fastboot flash recovery "openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-m8_whl.img" command from my Win 7 laptop, first time around it said something like "failed: remote not allowed". Tried it again and it seemed to hang in sending image... the phone is stuck, unresponsive on fastboot USB. Oops. What do I do now?

Sloth

Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
NP. So I am in the middle of doing this. I successfully unlocked the bootloader. When phone rebooted went through the whole first set up until it settle down, then powered off the phone, went back into fastboot, connected USB, gave fastboot flash recovery "openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-m8_whl.img" command from my Win 7 laptop, first time around it said something like "failed: remote not allowed". Tried it again and it seemed to hang in sending image... the phone is stuck, unresponsive on fastboot USB. Oops. What do I do now?
I have not done anything to my M8 yet.
Look here for a fix.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51462841&postcount=42
Edit are you sure you have the twrp.img in the folder you are using to open your cmd window?

Last edited:
Reactions: mobilecj and rhe12

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sup XDA :D
    I'm not a Dev so this is my contribution to the HTC One-(M8)-Sprint community.

This is a DIY root method. By doing it yourself you will learn some basic knowledge about using cmd windows,using ADB,using fastboot.
    This is also the same method used in my Guide for the HTC One-Sprint (M7).

Unlock your bootloader - www.htcdev.com Follow the instructions at HtcDev to unlock your bootloader.

Flash TWRP Recovery - (refer to the Read Me First Text on how to fastboot flash TWRP Recovery)

Flash SuperSU - (copy to sdcard and flash from TWRP) (Lollipop may require the latest version of SuperSU...link in post 2)

<---- If this guide helped you buy me a coffee :p

Using this method will NOT give you S-OFF it will help you unlock your bootloader(HTC-DEV) flash a custom recovery(TWRP for now CWM and PhilZTouch may come in the future ) and install the Superuser app of your choice.

What's included:
    Read Me Text (instructions,ADB commands, and whatnot)
    ADB Tool
    Latest HTC Drivers v4.2.0.001 and HTC BMP USB Drivers v1.0.5375(32 and 64 bit versions)
    TWRP openrecovery v2.7.0.0
    SuperSU.apk v1.94

Changelog:

03/28/14 Initial Release
    03/31/14 Edited ReadMe to reflect that you can choose "HTC One M8" rather than "All other devices" at Htc Dev when unlocking bootloader. Thanks @rhe12 for the heads up.
    03/31/14 Added Stock Recovery if you feel the need to go back to stock and take an OTA :eek:
    04/01/14 Updated ReadMeFirst text with feedback given by @rhe12
    04/07/14 Updated adb and fastboot goodies
    04/11/14 Added links to alternate recoveries in Post 2
    05/31/14 Added Stock Recovery zip below
    11/06/14 Updated Stock Recovery zip
    11/18/14 Updated SuperSU to 2.16
    11/18/14 Updated PhilZ Touch to 6.26.6
    11/18/14 Added Captain_Throwbacks version of TWRP
    03/01/15 Added a link to latest SuperSU in post 2
    03/01/15 Added a link to HTC Sync Manager in post 2
    07/20/15 Added link to New Official TWRP download page in post 2

I would like to thank:
    Zedomax (this is and updated version of what he did for the HTC Evo 4G LTE)
    TeamWin (for TWRP)
    Captain_Throwback for his version of TWRP
    Chainfire (for SuperSU)
    The Awesome XDA Community

wwjoshdew Videos:
    Coming soon.

filmaker Videos:
    Root the Sprint HTC One M8

Root Files Below
    AFH
    Mirror
    Stock Recoveries for the Sprint M8 (All stock recoveries including HK).

Frequently Asked Questions - HTC One-M8-Sprint(m8_whl).

Disclaimer:
    Code:
    * Standard disclaimer: 
    * Your warranty is now void.  Use at your own risk.
    * In other words: It is your choice to use these files.
    * I am not responsible for any damage or problems you may have!

I suggest extracting it to a folder on your desktop so you can find it and start by reading the Read Me Text.

I will update this thread as updates become available.
    Driver problems...get HTC Sync Manager HERE

Latest version of SuperSU can be found HERE

New official TWRP download page

If you are having issues with the "Official" TWRP in the folder I recommend this one... HERE

Those of you that insist on taking the OTA follow these steps:
    How to go back to stock recovery after unlocking/TWRP/SU to take OTA update and how to revert back afterwards:
    This assumes you have used this procedure to root phone. Doesn’t mean this procedure won’t work if you have used variants of that method or a different method, but whether these steps will work if that’s the case I don’t know.

1. Turn phone off
    2. Boot into bootloader
    3. Choose fastboot
    4. Connect phone to computer through USB cable
    5. Open elevated command prompt and navigate to folder where the stock recovery is located
    6. Type at prompt: “fastboot flash recovery filename.img” without the quotation marks (where filename is the name of the stock recovery image you want to flash). You’ll see something like this:
    C:\RootM8 (1)>fastboot flash recovery stockrec.img
    target reported max download size of 1830711296 bytes
    sending 'recovery' (24576 KB)...
    OKAY [ 1.721s]
    writing 'recovery'...
    OKAY [ 1.106s]
    finished. total time: 2.830s
    7. Reboot phone
    Your phone now has the stock recovery, and it’s still rooted, but not for long :) . You can now proceed to take OTA update, at which point you will probably lose root, and then follow original procedure to flash TWRP recovery again, and then root again.
    Updated OP added a Stock Recoveries zip to post 1
    Just a few notes on my experience:

Supersu
    I was running stock lollipop 5.01 on a unmodified One M8. The readme doesn't say anything about supersu like OP says it does. I figured that one out (just flash supersu using twrp). But a problem came with using the supersu in the zip file from the OP. After flashing it, when I ran supersu, it said the binary wasn't present and that it could not install it. I finally figured out I could use a latest beta version of supersu (2.47 I believe). I guess older versions maybe don't support lollipop?

HTC drivers (and HTC sync manager)
    The ones in the root zip from the OP didn't work for me. They said they installed (64-bit ones for my win8.1 computer), but they didn't appear to be working. Once I installed the HTC sync manager, that worked. Guess it installed the right drivers or at the very least was needed in conjunction with the drivers in the zip from the OP? Really not sure.

ADB
    I know fastboot.exe requires the adb dll but does it require adb.exe? I didn't see a need in this particular procedure for adb.exe, and the OP says that the readme mentions using ADB commands (instead of fastboot commands). Nitpicky, I know, but could be confusing for some.

TWRP
    Also, I'd recommend getting the latest twrp instead of using the one in the zip file of the OP (the readme does mention where to get the latest), especially if you're already running stock lollipop 5.xx. I didn't have any problems with the twrp in the zip file from the OP, though. I just thought it was a good idea to run the latest twrp after the problem with supersu and lollipop, especially since I'll be using TWRP for backups (and restores) of lollipop.

Thanks for the instructions and packaged zip.

Thanks for the heads up and feedback :)
    SuperSu - Added link in post 2 for the latest.(not sure why I removed the SuperSU instructions)
    HTC Sync Manager/ Drivers - Added a link in post 2 ( I have never had a problem with the supplied drivers...I am on Win 7 though could be the difference)
    ADB - Not seeing any mention of ADB commands in the Read Me.
    TWRP - As you mentioned there are links to all recoveries in the Read Me.
    Made a couple tweaks to post 1 aswell.