Instruction for Flashing a Rom

Search This thread

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
First off all, credit for this guide goes to steal25 and lowetaxes for the original guide

It was just revised for the Shift

A special thanks also goes to strapped365 for his help revising this guide

READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS ALL THE WAY THROUGH FIRST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

I do not reccomend "just flashing over a ROM"

1. REREAD THE INSTRUCTIONS (If your seeing this for the second time, proceed)

2. Make a Nandroid backup of your present set up.

3. Boot into Recovery

4. WIPE EVERYTHING!!! I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH

•Wipe in this order:
DALVIK CACHE
CACHE PARTITION
FORMAT SYSTEM
FORMAT SD:EXT
FORMAT DATA
FORMAT CACHE
THEN WIPE ALL USER DATA/FACTORY RESET
Do all of these 3Xs . Some do it only once. Some do it as much as 4Xs . 3Xs is Recommended
WIPE EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE SD CARD

5. Flash ROM (of your choosing)

6. Reboot (first Boot may take a while ) this is NOT a Bootloop.

7. Before you do anything, let the ROM settle in for about 10 mins. After about 10 mins, unlock the lockscreen.

8. Skip through Initial set up. DO NOT set up any accounts yet. Check and make sure everything installed.

9. IF NOT ON A SENSE ROM go ahead and install google apps

10. Now go ahead and sign into all your accounts. Set up Google and all that good stuff.

11. Open market, and install apps. If you use Titanium Backup DO NOT RESTORE System Apps or Data. Try not to restore Data for any app. If you restore an app like games and such, just restore the app.

THESE ARE THE SAME INSTRUCTIONS I FOLLOW. THE RESULT IS A BETTER FLASH THAN JUST DOING A REGULAR WIPE.
THIS PROCESS WILL ENSURE THE SYSTEM IS WIPED PROPERLY. RESULT, LESS OF A CHANCE FOR ISSUES TO ARISE!

The Original THREAD for the Guide

***I am not responsible for any damage that may occur to your device. If it BLOWS UP - MELTS - STEALS YOUR CAR - OR EATS YOUR GOLDFIISH IT'S ON YOU. This is only a recommendation of what you should do to Properly Wipe your device. If you cannot follow instructions that is on you.

Last edited:
F

FdxRider

He's a sense guy probably why. ;)

Sent from my Rooted Thrive

notsointeresting

Mar 18, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You forgot google apps and google apps new talk which should be flashed right after the rom.

Yea these instructions were orignally posted (by him) on themikmik.com which is soley a sense rom development site, and he just reposted them on XDA because there are alot of people who don't read themikmik (i hardly do) lol.

Btw nice idea posting it here too Prboy1969

Sent from my Epicly Blue Shift!

raydawg

Nov 16, 2011
is there anyway to write a script that can be run from recovery to do all that stuff automatically?

jesusice

Dec 22, 2010
Can we get this stickied please?

I'd second that but I don't agree with the instructions regarding Titanium. Of course, one should only restore system data at their own risk with the expectation that it'll mess things up but I've never had any trouble restoring data for nonsystem apps. For me being able to restore an app's data after a wipe or reset is one of the main benefits of having root access. I would never flash different ROMs if I thought I was gonna lose all my app data.

is there anyway to write a script that can be run from recovery to do all that stuff automatically?

Yes. My Linuxfu is weak though, so I'm not gonna be writing it but I think it's a fairly easy task. Maybe check the Evo forums, I've seen a lot of them mention a full wipe zip. I wanna say it's Myn's but wouldn't place money on it.

Reactions: prboy1969

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
I'd second that but I don't agree with the instructions regarding Titanium. Of course, one should only restore system data at their own risk with the expectation that it'll mess things up but I've never had any trouble restoring data for nonsystem apps. For me being able to restore an app's data after a wipe or reset is one of the main benefits of having root access. I would never flash different ROMs if I thought I was gonna lose all my app data.

Yes. My Linuxfu is weak though, so I'm not gonna be writing it but I think it's a fairly easy task. Maybe check the Evo forums, I've seen a lot of them mention a full wipe zip. I wanna say it's Myn's but wouldn't place money on it.

There is a " Format ALL " for the OG EVO made by Calkulin. It's on his thread HERE. But it's only for 2.1 / 2.2 :( . As for my opinion on TB, well it comes from a LOT of Flahing ( read FLASHAHOLIC :p ). That's why I'm always flashing devices for other people. Just so I can get that rush of installing a new Rom on a device :D . Yes I know it's a sickness :rolleyes: . But I figure it's safer to instruct people not to restore any data. Because we are who we are, and if you say some is ok. Then what is likely to happen is it will almost all be restored :mad: . Most always causing all kinds of weird issues. Yes you can restore some app data, but you have to use common sense ( no pun intended ) .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First off all, credit for this guide goes to steal25 and lowetaxes for the original guide

It was just revised for the Shift

A special thanks also goes to strapped365 for his help revising this guide

READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS ALL THE WAY THROUGH FIRST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

I do not reccomend "just flashing over a ROM"

1. REREAD THE INSTRUCTIONS (If your seeing this for the second time, proceed)

2. Make a Nandroid backup of your present set up.

3. Boot into Recovery

4. WIPE EVERYTHING!!! I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH

•Wipe in this order:
    DALVIK CACHE
    CACHE PARTITION
    FORMAT SYSTEM
    FORMAT SD:EXT
    FORMAT DATA
    FORMAT CACHE
    THEN WIPE ALL USER DATA/FACTORY RESET
    Do all of these 3Xs . Some do it only once. Some do it as much as 4Xs . 3Xs is Recommended
    WIPE EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE SD CARD

5. Flash ROM (of your choosing)

6. Reboot (first Boot may take a while ) this is NOT a Bootloop.

7. Before you do anything, let the ROM settle in for about 10 mins. After about 10 mins, unlock the lockscreen.

8. Skip through Initial set up. DO NOT set up any accounts yet. Check and make sure everything installed.

9. IF NOT ON A SENSE ROM go ahead and install google apps

10. Now go ahead and sign into all your accounts. Set up Google and all that good stuff.

11. Open market, and install apps. If you use Titanium Backup DO NOT RESTORE System Apps or Data. Try not to restore Data for any app. If you restore an app like games and such, just restore the app.

THESE ARE THE SAME INSTRUCTIONS I FOLLOW. THE RESULT IS A BETTER FLASH THAN JUST DOING A REGULAR WIPE.
    THIS PROCESS WILL ENSURE THE SYSTEM IS WIPED PROPERLY. RESULT, LESS OF A CHANCE FOR ISSUES TO ARISE!

The Original THREAD for the Guide

***I am not responsible for any damage that may occur to your device. If it BLOWS UP - MELTS - STEALS YOUR CAR - OR EATS YOUR GOLDFIISH IT'S ON YOU. This is only a recommendation of what you should do to Properly Wipe your device. If you cannot follow instructions that is on you.
    Check out this video
    http://m.pocketnow.com/2012/10/03/what-is-clockwork-mod-recovery
    All the android powere user videos are worth watching before you start doing this stuff
    If you wipe a data factory reset there's really no need to wipe dalvik-cache. Dalvik-cache is located on the data and cache partitions, and most of the time sd-ext which also gets wiped in a data factory reset. It cracks me up every time someone says to wipe data, cache, sd-ext and then wipe dalvik-cache.

Edit: here's a screenshot of it

http://db.tt/0qojMYo3

I'm glad your amused ;) . But here's what cracks me up, you say " If you wipe a data factory reset there's really no need to wipe dalvik-cache. Dalvik-cache is located on the data and cache partitions, and most of the time sd-ext which also gets wiped in a data factory reset " . But here's the fact, if you do a " Factory Reset " , yes it clears most of the data, but 90% of the time it does not clear away all the data. So you end up with a some bits of data left from the previous flash. This may or may not cause issues. But more often then not it does. Which will lead to odd issues occuring constantly, or intermitantly. So I wrote this Instruction Guide up to help those who are constantly having issues after a Flash. Or those who are new to Flashing, and need a proper guide to reduce their chances of having issues after a flash. If just doing a factory reset before a flash works for you great. But please don't try and make things harder, or more confusing for those who are just coming into the Android community by posting contridicting information for the fun of it ( or to be that guy ). I have based the guide on information gathered from other guides, information I've found after doing a lot of reading, and research. Also, quite a bit of research, in the form of Flashing Roms using different methods. In short I have not written this guide off the cuff or flippantly. Nor did I write it to increase my Thanks count. I wrote it to try and give back to the Android community. You are entitled to your own opinion, this is a free country. If you would like to write up a guide feel free to. But please don't spam the thread for kicks.
    Where's this proof you speak of CWM not wiping properly? I never had one issue wiping with CWM recovery not once...

Almost every shift users except yourself has had issues with partitions not being properly wiped... Matter of fact, you made a modified version of cwm because regular cwm wasnt wiping your sd/ext... Don't start with me...

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk
    I think I know what I did and why more than you do man lol. I added one mount point to the cm recovery source so it would wipe sd-ext. Without it it wouldn't wipe. I made my own soon that I could have a ext4 version of it. But that still has nothing to do with things only wiping 90% of the time. If you guys want to wipe something that isn't there have fun, but don't drag other new rooters into your delusions.

If it's not wiping get yourself a log of it to see what the errors or issue is.

adb pull /cache/recovery/last_log or adb pull /cache/recovery/log

Thanks... Your rant just proved me right. I stated that you made a modded version of cwm because cwm wasnt wiping your sd/ext correctly... You have confirmed that. Thanks! You really should open back up YOUR development threads... It might give you something to do other than coming in here and pissing 99% of the shift forums off... Android is a hobby to most of us, but to you it's a competition. Only problem, is that you have nobody to compete against, as none of us are interested. We come here to mod our phones, expand our knowledge, and share that knowledge, oh yeah, and to have FUN! You are single handedly ruining the shift forums. There is not usually drama in here, until you start it up. Chill out!

Prboy, sorry for taking your thread off topic. GREAT GUIDE... HATERS GONNA HATE!

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk