How to unlock your G1.. for free

Search This thread

neoobs

Retired Moderator
Mar 25, 2008
You don't have to be a T-mobile customer. I just explained this.

Please stop spreading around that people have to pay, they don't have to.

DON'T PAY TO HAVE IT UNLOCKED, T-MOBILE WILL DO IT FREE!

brandenk

Aug 11, 2007
San Diego
Well I tried for a week with no success so hopefully you guys have more luck than I did. T-mobile told me you need to be a customer for 3 months in good standing with plans to travel internationally. This was also the same problem I ran into 2 years ago with my Hermes with at&t.

ApexPredatorBoids

Oct 5, 2007
Lancaster, Pa
If you're in any kind of hurry it might just be worth dropping $16.99 to buy a code. My unlock request was submitted to HTC from T-Mo about 6 days ago and I'm still waiting. Gotta love a well-oiled machine..

haykuro

Nov 21, 2008
Sunrise
FAQ:
Q: Do you have to be a T-Mobile customer to do this unlock?
A: Yes. T-Mobile's contract states that it will only do the unlock for you if you are a member with them for 3 months, and are in good standing. This is to prevent losing customers.

Q: Do you need to be the account holder?
A: No. You need the last 4 digits to the account holders social security number (a standard T-Mobile customer support feature), and then you have provision to unlock the phone yourself. This is, mainly, to prevent theft.

Q: This is taking to long!
A: T-Mobile will normally take a MAXIMUM of up to 2 weeks to return the unlock code. I've heard reports of instant over-the-phone unlocks, and have heard the worse scenario being 2 weeks (as mentioned).

Q: Why not just buy one online?
A: Why would you buy something, when you can easily do it for free? Stop being lazy!

Q: I am not a T-Mobile customer!
A: You can either find a friend who uses T-Mobile, or call up HTC and have them unlock it for you. I've read around and calling the factory is a bit more of a hassle, but it is legally possible. I have not tried this yet, but I can assure you, from prior experience, this works fine with Samsung devices

haykuro

Nov 21, 2008
Sunrise
This is great if you are a T-mobile customer................

...........for the rest of you, follow my guide here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=467051&highlight=walkthrough
Well I tried for a week with no success so hopefully you guys have more luck than I did. T-mobile told me you need to be a customer for 3 months in good standing with plans to travel internationally. This was also the same problem I ran into 2 years ago with my Hermes with at&t.

This thread acknowledges this website you are offering already, we mention that it is NOT a solution ANYONE wants. :rolleyes:

Knowledge is free, and this is a concept that you should understand.

You are on a community, using a modded/hacked device. What if we made you pay for those mods? What if we weren't open and didn't feel like just giving you information? Maybe we should have charged you a small fee of $10. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Gnosishunter

hmepas

Dec 4, 2008
You don't have to be a T-mobile customer. I just explained this.

Please stop spreading around that people have to pay, they don't have to.

DON'T PAY TO HAVE IT UNLOCKED, T-MOBILE WILL DO IT FREE!

Could you help me then, I live in Russia I got my G1 shipped by other guy, who ask his fella to send the phone. I don't know the way it finally get here. But it's locked and in the box I even have T-mobile sim card. What's the instruction for me to unlock it thru t-mobile? I suppose I am a customer since I have sim-card =) But i have no indetifies and sim card itself not working in roaming which i am in, so i even don't know my own number. So what's the steps for me? Which e-mail to mail to? Which info provide? IMEI?

Karolis

Jan 2, 2008
i rang up t-mobile (UK) and they said they charge £15 to have it unlocked!

Interesting, as I have only paid them £10 for the same procedure. What do they base the charge on?

Alos the advantage of using paid service to unlock the phone is that you get it done instantly where as with T-Mobile you have to wait up to 28 days for them to mail the code. At least in the UK.

neoobs

Retired Moderator
Mar 25, 2008
Could you help me then, I live in Russia I got my G1 shipped by other guy, who ask his fella to send the phone. I don't know the way it finally get here. But it's locked and in the box I even have T-mobile sim card. What's the instruction for me to unlock it thru t-mobile? I suppose I am a customer since I have sim-card =) But i have no indetifies and sim card itself not working in roaming which i am in, so i even don't know my own number. So what's the steps for me? Which e-mail to mail to? Which info provide? IMEI?

PM me your IMEI and I will take care of it since you are out of the country and I assume your international charges would be huge to call a CC line in another country.

hmepas

Dec 4, 2008
PM me your IMEI and I will take care of it since you are out of the country and I assume your international charges would be huge to call a CC line in another country.

Thanks a lot. PM sent, could you please confirm you got it since I am worrying my PMs actually not going anythere.

predo

Jan 25, 2006
Edinburgh
lol! I've just been on the phone with tmuk to get a code to unlock mine in case I want to use it abroad and they insisted that it is designed to be constantly connected to the internet and it will not work with the other then tmobile simcard anyway... :)

ahh ignorants! ;-)

Karolis

Jan 2, 2008
When I was called, they told me something similar, but I've insisted that I KNOW they can be unlocked, so she checked with someone, charged my account 10 quid and now I'm waiting for the code to arrive in mail.

C

chevychase

Just called T-mobile UK and they said that I have to be registered for a month. After that they can sell me the code for about £15 and also it would take 28 days to deliver the code.

Nice. Very nice. Should I just buy the code or does anyone have any better ideas?

Karolis

Jan 2, 2008
Just called T-mobile UK and they said that I have to be registered for a month. After that they can sell me the code for about £15 and also it would take 28 days to deliver the code.

Nice. Very nice. Should I just buy the code or does anyone have any better ideas?

"Up to 28 days" doesn't mean it will take that long. Mine was delivered in about a week.

You still have a problem of waiting for a month though...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is great if you are a T-mobile customer................

...........for the rest of you, follow my guide here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=467051&highlight=walkthrough

This thread acknowledges this website you are offering already, we mention that it is NOT a solution ANYONE wants. :rolleyes:

Knowledge is free, and this is a concept that you should understand.

You are on a community, using a modded/hacked device. What if we made you pay for those mods? What if we weren't open and didn't feel like just giving you information? Maybe we should have charged you a small fee of $10. :rolleyes: