[Q] How to Force the M8 to use USB Mass Storage, not MTP?

Search This thread

captainreynolds

Mar 7, 2011
Hey everyone,

I know we all have our opinions on MTP, some like and some others don't.

As a Windows and Mac user, I think it is horribly implemented on our HTC One M8s. Large MKV and Flac files do not copy correctly (completely) to my phone's external micro sd card that is formatted with exFAT, and it's terribly slow. The problem also occurs with normal micro sd cards.

Is there any way to use a mod/application or system setting that removes all aspects of HTC Sync and allows me to mount my external SD card as just normal USB storage? I have 64 GB on my micro SD Card but cannot use it because I cannot copy over large files correctly because of this issue, and it's extremely frustrating.

Does anyone have any ideas?

captainreynolds

Mar 7, 2011

Unfortunately, that's not really a solution. Android File Transfer is just an app that provides a connection between the phone and the computer. Additionally, it cannot transfer files over 4GB in size, which is absolutely ridiculous. I want a way to directly mount my SD card on the computer, so it is seen directly as an SD card in Finder. I don't care about accessing the internal memory.

What is the point of having an external SD card slot if you can't really use it properly? I'd rather not have to boot into windows to make this work.

v-b-n

Feb 17, 2010
Singapore
Unfortunately, that's not really a solution. Android File Transfer is just an app that provides a connection between the phone and the computer. Additionally, it cannot transfer files over 4GB in size, which is absolutely ridiculous. I want a way to directly mount my SD card on the computer, so it is seen directly as an SD card in Finder. I don't care about accessing the internal memory.

What is the point of having an external SD card slot if you can't really use it properly? I'd rather not have to boot into windows to make this work.

And unfortunately, that is the only way wired to OSX ... Google changed the way storage is accessed (around ICS I believe) ... so MTP is the only protocol available ... even in Windows, the drives connect via MTP and not like a USB drive .... Try doing multiple actions like copy/paste simultaneously on Windows and you wont be able to :)

Reactions: captainreynolds

captainreynolds

Mar 7, 2011
Remove SD card from phone. Put SD card into USB SD card reader plugged into PC. Profit.

Look, that makes sense, but it's ridiculous I need to buy a peripheral to use the external SD card on my phone. USB devices have been able to easily and quickly interface with computers since the 90s, it's absurd that I have to do that in order to do what I want.

And how reliable is that tray? How long before it doesn't go in properly because I have taken it out and put it in so many times?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

And unfortunately, that is the only way wired to OSX ... Google changed the way storage is accessed (around ICS I believe) ... so MTP is the only protocol available ... even in Windows, the drives connect via MTP and not like a USB drive .... Try doing multiple actions like copy/paste simultaneously on Windows and you wont be able to :)