[Q] how to extract BMPs from Apical GPS ResidentFlash2 Menu .bin - animated LOGO.GIF

Search This thread

antdavison

May 6, 2014
i have an APICAL GPS
youtube[dot]com/watch?v=urX3rERYZf4
running the same menu as this one
youtube[dot]com/watch?v=wS37diJR0Q0

it has two skins
one has a "Mini Cooper" car with flashing spotlights
the other menu skin has a simpler green theme

i want to create green-themed matching power-on splash and iGoPrimo splash bitmaps
I think the green-themed menu BMPs are contained in
\ResidentFlash2\bin\Main\Main_Skin2.bin
.. this is in the attached Main_Skin2.zip file (also includes TotalConfig .ini's)

but i do not know how to extract them, i have tried many unarchivers, i think they use LZMA, as this is a common header in many of the Apical menu .bin files

the menu system is controlled by a program called "TotalConfig", but i have not been able to find any information on this on the www

does any one know how to extract these BMPs or have any information on the Apical/TotalConfig menu system

thanks in advance from New Zealand

Attachments

• Main_Skin2.zip
    2 MB · Views: 234
  • gpsInSunvisor.jpg
    gpsInSunvisor.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:

antdavison

May 6, 2014
the 800x480 menu files i am looking for are
residentflash2-bin-Main-Fore2-*.bmp
residentflash2-bin-Main-Animate2-*.bmp
residentflash2-bin-Main-MainLayer2-*.bmp

and maybe any *.ini file relating to GPSAni*.bmp

mine are all archived into a single *.bin file, but in earlier versions they are separate files in separate folders ... these files will give me enough menu elements to make some matching splash screens .... i don't need to modify the apical menu itself

Attachments

• 480x272_9a.png
    480x272_9a.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 153
D

Deleted member 1890170

... these files will give me enough menu elements to make some matching splash screens .... i don't need to modify the apical menu itself
Why not simply search the WEB? Many icon-sets around, from which you can pick out those "menu elements" which match your needs.

antdavison

May 6, 2014
Herr.J

have figured this out

need a tool called Apical IMaGe DECoder by SiL (AIDEC.zip) (attached)

find an appropriate firmware package

run the command

AIDEC.EXE winCEapp.img
and residentFlash2 files are written to a folder named 'winCEapp_out' which AIDEC creates

that has given me all the BMP elements to create 'power-on' * and 'primo' splash screens ** that match the green-theme menu#2 stored in residentFlash2

now, as the GPS changes states from bootup > (menu >) Primo > menu, all the backgrounds are the same and other elements match

... pity the Apical menus are sooooo ugly, and the Apical AtlasVI menus are partially locked up, but extracting some AtlasV winCEapp.img firmware gave me all the menu bitmap elements i needed, along with every other file that would be written to residentFlash2 if that firmware were to be installed

danke, Ant

notes
====
* static logo.bmp or <2MB animated logo.gif copied to microSD / SDMMC; automatically updates boot splash screen logo if 'logo.bmp' or 'logo.gif' is present on microSD, and microSD is inserted in GPS before power up; after automatically updating splash screen logo, power off GPS, remove microSD, and restart GPS
this worked for my particular GPS******, yours could be different, see 4pna[dot]com/showthread.php?t=5903

** NandDisk\Primo\branding.zip\ui_igo9\800_480\loading.bmp + \skin_night\loading.bmp *** **** *****
*** i use winRAR 4.01 rather than 7z or WinZip, resulting in uncorrupted Primo friendly ZIPs
**** use iPAQ tools attached to optionally compress 'loading.bmp' from uncompressed (1.2MB) to primo friendly rleBMP (70kB)
***** add the lines like the ones below to primo's SYS.TXT, to alter the default position of the splash screen loading_progressBar (or alter similar lines in NandFlash\Primo\data.zip\ui_igo9\800_480\skincfg.ini)

[loading]
progressbar_x=160
progressbar_y=308
progressbar_end_x=160
progressbar_end_y=308

****** gps is
aliexpress[dot]com/store/product/New-arrival-SirF-Atlas-VI-Dual-core-800MHz-5-inch-GPS-Navigation-DDR3-256MB-8GB-Bluetooth/312906_532878501.html

Attachments

• AIDEC.ZIP
    2.3 KB · Views: 291
  • ugly-but-working-first-experiment-apical-animated-bootup---logo.gif.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 210
  • apical-animated-boot-logo-halfSize-preview-400x240.gif
    apical-animated-boot-logo-halfSize-preview-400x240.gif
    364.5 KB · Views: 1,209
Last edited:

antdavison

May 6, 2014
This file return Error when unziping, upload pleasse again, i need it.

Geo42G ;)

source if these zips are bad replace "[dot]" with "."
as i am a junior here, i can't post hyperlinks

be quick, files will expire from the below link soon

sendfile[dot]su/633127
s1[dot]sendfile[dot]su/download/633127/oL7StdU9KdaXmOV4NHQSkkEovnrryIInQFpGqMB2

Name AIDEC.ZIP
Size 2.26KB (2314B)
MD5 a62247f67b7504f7159fcabfa4f4963d
Downloaded 179 times
Filled 2012-07-17 20:49:07
Exp. 07/03/2014 2:16:42

Attachments

• AIDEC.ZIP
    2.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

coldshade

Sep 23, 2009
I know this is a old topic... but how do you compress the images back to the bin file after modifying the images ? and then back to the img..?

antdavison

May 6, 2014
i didn't, i made an animated GIF from the menu elements, and used that as the boot image, instead of the pre-existing single image BMP.
Just put the animated GIF on a empty micro-SD card, call it logo.gif, boot up the GPS with the micro-SD card inserted, and the animated GIF will be copied automatically to the GPS and become the new boot screen ... ie the boot picture is not included in the .bin/.img